Floors: 6 storeys
Units: 104 rooms
Developer: Thompson Property Group
Builder: Total Construction Services
Architect: Tippett Schrock

·
©
9,478 Posts
I know i don't usually believe Terry Butts' column in the paper but there was a snipet in there today about Thompson Property Group is about to announce a 5 star Grand Mecure Inn hotel adjacent to the next to? the Ibis Hotel. Hopefully this rumour is true, it would be nice for Townsville to have a 5 star hotel again!!

·
6,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that can be believed - in addition to being in Butt's on Monday there was also an article about it near the front of the paper. It's going to be on the corner of Palmer, Dibbs & Anthony. This is the current design for the site - not sure if it'll be changed?

·
©
9,478 Posts
I don't think that will be the design that would be used if built. Allthough anything is better than what is currently there!!

·
Troppo In TSV
523 Posts
Wezza said:
a snipet in there today about Thompson Property Group is about to announce a 5 star Grand Mecure Inn hotel ... the next to? the Ibis Hotel
I drove down Palmer Street yesterday and I have to say, it's the last place I'd have built a 5-star hotel. It's nice but not 5-star. I'd have thought the only place you'd build a 5-star resort is along the Strand or on Maggie. If I was going to cough up big dollars to stay in a 5-star resort, I'd at least want ocean views...

·
Lacking an Akubra!
4,546 Posts
But either way, I wouldn't complain about a 5-Star hotel no matter where its built, I'd welcome this with open arms.

By the way, when this is built, there will be two Mecures in Townsville, The Mercure Inn was suppost to have a refurb last year, which was suppost to make it go up from 3 stars to 4, thus making it known as Mercure Resort Townsville.

·
Townsville
552 Posts
To earn 5 stars. A 5 star hotel must offer international standard with a high degree of facilities: outstanding appointments, furnishings and décor and an extensive range of first class guest services. A number and variety of room styles and/or suites, choice of dining facilities, 24 hour room service, housekeeping, valet parking, porterage and concierge services.

Great if we can get it. An good example is the Ritz Calton in Sydney.

Sorry but that Grand Mecure Inn design on Palmer St doesn't remind me of the Ritz Calton in Sydney. :)

·
6,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^I know. It doesn't look like a 5-star design does it.

So going off that description views or location are irrelavant to a hotel's rating? So it doesn't matter if a hotels situated in the middle of an industrial wasteland, as long as it's got the goods inside?

·
Troppo In TSV
523 Posts
Gertzy said:
No, its in a post just 10 posts down, Oriolus was the user of the post, to be exact #51.
Mmm, I suspect this might be Grand Mercure Apartments - which is what they're building down in Mackay I think - not a hotel. I was originally thrown because I thought the writing on the outside said "Backpackers" - hardly the image of a 5-star hotel.

·
Lacking an Akubra!
4,546 Posts
Possibly, But its still Mercure, It might be Serviced Apartments but people could still stay there I guess.

·
Troppo In TSV
523 Posts
Gertzy said:
Possibly, But its still Mercure, It might be Serviced Apartments but people could still stay there I guess.
Agreed - but I don't think it will be run like a hotel - and certainly not a 5-star hotel.

If I was to take a stab, I'd say Buttsy's seen the name "Grand Mercure" and, based purely on that, turned it into something bigger than Ben Hur. Would certainly be up to his usual standard...

·
©
9,478 Posts
GoTroppo said:
Agreed - but I don't think it will be run like a hotel - and certainly not a 5-star hotel.

If I was to take a stab, I'd say Buttsy's seen the name "Grand Mercure" and, based purely on that, turned it into something bigger than Ben Hur. Would certainly be up to his usual standard...
LMAO!!! :yes:

·
Townsville
552 Posts
Originally Posted by Oriolus.
So going off that description views or location are irrelavant to a hotel's rating? So it doesn't matter if a hotels situated in the middle of an industrial wasteland, as long as it's got the goods inside?
The star system is audited by AAA Tourism. Over 500 criteria are used to assess a property and determine its rating between one and five STARS.
You are awarded a star rating by complying with set criteria. You can't really say I am going to build a 5 star hotel, although you can aspire by to that by building your hotel to meet set requirements. You are audited frequently and can lose your stars.

I don't believe 'location' makes a difference, as you are talking about accommodation and service. I believe that there would be 5 star hotels in large industrial areas.

I think there are in Sydney, those rich businessmen need somewhere to stay when on location.

However in this case, I think that Butts said a 5 star hotel because it sounded good in print without really realising what a 5 star hotel meant.

I may be wrong, and I hope I am wrong. Townsville could do with a nice new piano bar. :cheers:

·
6,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks like Grand Mercure might be closer then I thought. In an article in Saturday's Bulletin about Warren Thompson, head of Thompson Property, it mentions that they plan to begin construction on it by the end of May. This certainly makes sense given Jeffro's info that the minor works being conducted around the Gateway site were upgrades to services in preparation for Grand Mercure. So as soon as they finish one hotel it'll be straight into another one next door!!

Futhermore, I was having a look at the Riva website, and on the page about TPG there was a microscopic render of Grand Mercure - it's been upsized!! Only up to 6 storeys though. Also TPG now has a website at www.thompsonproperty.com.au so it'd be worth keeping an eye on that. Here's the render (blown up):

·
Lacking an Akubra!
4,546 Posts
At least it'll be bigger than the Ibis next door, good job for Palmer Street, we'll have a bigger presence of Hotels soon, with Ramada, Grand Mercure, and Ibis on our Door Step, all we need now is a Raddisson or Hilton.

·
©
9,478 Posts
Wow, thats great news!! Didn't get Saturdays paper, so i missed that one. :) Just a note, they are still working around the Gateway/Victoria Bridge area on the services upgrade.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts