1 - 20 of 1035 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
This should be interesting. They have been using those sheds of late for different things. There have been several movies shot there in recent months and the Australian Fashion Awards recently hosted a gala in building E with the city as a backdrop. Everybody who is anybody in the fashion world was there and commented positively on the location.

J

·
baby whinger
1,965 Posts
I'd like like to see the area preserved similar to Wooloomooloo's Pier 9/Watershed development. I loved the vibe of that area when I was in Sydney.

·
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)
3,135 Posts
This is a superb location - fingers crossed it is used to best advantage - and that it is developed quickly.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
They're looking at 80% public space for this development, along with various cafe's/restaurants in the sheds (which will be preserved as they're heritage listed) and a botique hotel at the back of one of the precincts (no doubt with some great city views).

Should be great! So long as the public space is done with some innovation and creativity.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Perhaps a little pie in the sky, but here are some ideas I had:

1. close Bowen Terrace from the Story Bridge to Moray Street and give that area an urban design / public art/ landscaped make over linking to the HSW... maybe a cafe or two up the top with decking over looking the river

2. make related streets culdersacks with traffic lights

3. more or less ban cars from the site... there will be hotel and disabled / drop off parking but make it a fitness / public transport precinct where you need to walk, ride, bus, train, or cat to it

4. rock climbing down the New Farm end

5. install a lighting effects system to the cliffs / bridge

6. some crazy on land and water based public art

7. water features

I just want something a bit more WOWish than South Bank / Roma Street Parklands...

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
I can't believe the sheds are heritage listed. Its crazy, they are tin sheds:nuts:
I love heritage and I'd understand if they were made of sandstone or had some interesting design features such as art deco or byzantine, something like that but... ? :shrugs:

J

·
Is Slightly Opinionated.
456 Posts
Heritage isn't always pretty, and let's be honest, it's pretty slim pickings in Brisbane thanks to Sir Joh. Beggars can't be choosers.

The fact that mixed use once again includes offices and a hotel just shows how stuck in the 90's Brisbane is. This is another potential world class development, and instead they're just planning on shoving more office space whereever they can. Yawn.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heritage isn't always pretty, and let's be honest, it's pretty slim pickings in Brisbane thanks to Sir Joh. Beggars can't be choosers.

The fact that mixed use once again includes offices and a hotel just shows how stuck in the 90's Brisbane is. This is another potential world class development, and instead they're just planning on shoving more office space whereever they can. Yawn.
Because the same old construction firms will get the contracts to build the sucker and that's how they roll... Nothing surprises me much anymore.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Absolutely, they must at the very least keep the warf sheds and bring them back to life. And the walkway into the floating riverwalk must also be preserved, as that's something that's most unique to Brisbane and a real drawcard for tourists.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Absolutely, they must at the very least keep the warf sheds and bring them back to life. And the walkway into the floating riverwalk must also be preserved, as that's something that's most unique to Brisbane and a real drawcard for tourists.
Definately... people fly in from all over the world to visit the current HSW area :)

·
Is Slightly Opinionated.
456 Posts
^^ Hahaha. Brisbane investing in the public domain when there's a quick buck to be made? Not bloody likely.

I have a vague recollection of a concept for the site that including the retention of the sheds in market format, and some artists workshops/studios/galleries. It was similarly low density to the demonstration project, so obviously a bit of a pipe dream, but I hardly think it would hurt for Brisbane to actually have some "culture" outside of the Cultural Precinct. We could have our very own gritty Chelsea-esque creative district by the river.

The sad thing is that this site has the potential to be even more exciting and renowned than the North Bank site, because let's face it, the only time anyone from abroad (or outside of Queensland) is even remotely likely to recognise our skyline is if the Story Bridge is in the picture.

1 - 20 of 1035 Posts