SkyscraperCity banner

981 - 1000 of 1035 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Had a great break over Xmas/New Year in Brisbane. As I was staying at the Marriott, HSW was just a few minutes' walk away and I visited several times. Thoughts:

- I know I've been a bit harsh here but overall, I liked the area and it's a good addition to Brisbane. It's opened up yet another spot to access the beautiful Brisbane River and enjoy the views and breezes. I think some tinkering - and time - will make HSW a special place. At the moment, it's not quite realising its potential.
I don't think you've been harsh, you've been informative and realistic. The astroturf is a cheap tacky fix. Stupid, for a high end location. The noise, thats a significant de-motivator for anyone over 50 with hearing loss, and thats money no sensible trader wants to lose, because the party dollar won't keep it going forever.

I think the lack of a ferry stop is a big issue: its over 500m to Eagle St Pier and further to the one along Sydney Street. Stupid outcome, even just a CityHopper would help.

·
Registered
Tall building enthusiast
647 Posts
I don't think you've been harsh, you've been informative and realistic. The astroturf is a cheap tacky fix. Stupid, for a high end location. The noise, thats a significant de-motivator for anyone over 50 with hearing loss, and thats money no sensible trader wants to lose, because the party dollar won't keep it going forever.

I think the lack of a ferry stop is a big issue: its over 500m to Eagle St Pier and further to the one along Sydney Street. Stupid outcome, even just a CityHopper would help.
The DA for the ferry terminal at HSW was lodged in December.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Not harsh, you sum up what most people think.

Thanks. I just don't like bagging something when a lot of time and money has gone into it. But new waterfront precincts like this don't grow on trees and it's a really prominent space in the heart of the city - so it has to be done right.

Regarding the noise issue, I don't have hearing loss, so if I had this issue, I think lot of people would. The Felon's boardwalk was far too loud to even hold a conversation. That's fine for a nightclub but not a riverside boardwalk in the afternoon. The drunks yelling at each other were happy enough - but I expected something nicer and more high end.
_

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I think one issue that bedevils HSW is the pedestrian access. Everyone is funnelled into the combined bike/car/pedestrian path whereas pedestrians should be encouraged to walk along the rivers edge. The problem here is that amount of riverside space that has been taken over by the restaurants and function facilities. If there is something happening at Howards Hall they block off the riverside path to anyone not involved with the function forcing them back onto the "inland" pathway. It's all a bit too elitist and not democratic enough. None of this was a problem before redevelopment as it was then primarily a way for New Farm folk to get home but given the exponential increase in usage the problem is apparent.

·
Optimist
7,318 Posts
I can't say I remember music being a problem at Felons. At least not enough that I've noticed it, I've only been there during the day/early afternoon so maybe this is just a night ?

Also I would agree on the function spaces being dead zones when not in use but they do actually seem to get a good amount of use on weekends. Maybe opening them up for market stalls or similar during the week could help.

Reactions: nathandavid88

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
^^ Likewise, I don't recall the music volume at Felons being particularly offensive myself, at least not the times I've been there.

And I agree that the larger function spaces to become a dead space outside of functions being held, Howard's Hall in particular. The issue isn't quite as bad for the Rivershed, as it does have some small retail tenancies in it, and the other smaller spaces are tucked away enough that they can be closed without any major issue.

Maybe some thought needs to be given to using Howard's Hall as a free exhibition space for local artists or community groups on weekends when it hasn't been booked, to better improve the activation of the hall and to benefit local organisations.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thanks. I just don't like bagging something when a lot of time and money has gone into it. But new waterfront precincts like this don't grow on trees and it's a really prominent space in the heart of the city - so it has to be done right.

Regarding the noise issue, I don't have hearing loss, so if I had this issue, I think lot of people would. The Felon's boardwalk was far too loud to even hold a conversation. That's fine for a nightclub but not a riverside boardwalk in the afternoon. The drunks yelling at each other were happy enough - but I expected something nicer and more high end.
_
I do have problems with loud background noise and conversations. My partner and I were in a citycat, choosing if I wanted to get out at Sydney St, and go back, or go on to New Farm, and we wound up looping back to Eagle St, where the hike *and* the noise at HSW we heard on the water were enough disincentive we decided to just stay in Eagle St and eat local. It is noisy, but its kind-of focally contained, there were enough quiet places we found somewhere near water with views and drinks and food and had a good time.

The 500m walk to HSW and the huge amount of noise we saw on the waterfront seating were a strong dis-incentive, but thats a 59/62 year old perspective

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
^^

I agree. I have a problem with loud background noise and I find it really, really hard to find a place for drinks and eats that doesn't play too loud background music. No doubt there are places in the cbd but I'll bet not too many.

Nobody in the hospitality business seems game to stay quite. It's as if everybody loves loud, non conversational music wherever they go.

I know that that is not the case but as I have already said.....nobody seems game enough to even try being on the quiet side for a change.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
All great and fair criticisms Vocodr.

I never found Felons to be too loud, but every time I've been to HSW I've found Mr Percivals to be the loud one (and frankly a bit of an obnoxious venue IMO).

I totally agree with your criticisms of Felons too - even their beers I found to be basic - as if they were brewed to be as inoffensive to as broad a spectrum of customers as possible (to the point where the beer was so flavourless I may as well have had a Corona).
:storm:

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
^^ Don't disagree about the beer, quite generic really. I'm no craft beer connoisseur, but I do prefer those from the Newstead Brewery and Stone & Wood's new Valley Brewery.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I like their beer, and I’m usually quite picky. I think they do a nice pale ale and ipa..

Yes Stone and Wood are better, but they are considered one of the best brewery’s in Australia so that’s not really an insult against Felons.

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
Looks like the HSW Ferry Terminal has been approved looking pretty well unchanged to previously.

The plans are a bit vague when it comes to the amount of view obstruction you will suffer, with the sectional plan probably the best one to gauge it. I think they've probably done the best they can to keep everything as low as possible, and from the main wharf level you will be able to look over the top of it for the most part, and the main terminal has been tucked back towards the Rivershed, to preserves the city view from the river steps as much as possible.

Looking at the RL of the ramp surface down to the terminal (which runs the whole length of the river steps and is the closest structure to them), and comparing it to the RL of the terrace steps, it is at upper pathway height at its highest point, and drops to the height of the second lowest step at its lowest point (at the city end). The balustrade generally stands 1.2m above the ramp surface, with a small section standing 1.85m above the ramp at the far city side (the larger section is behind a bench seat at the rest area between the upper and lower ramp).

Knowing that, at a rough guess I'm thinking that sitting on the two highest steps towards the Howard Hall end may still give a relatively good city view, but the view from closer to the Rivershed on those steps, or from anywhere along the lower steps might be fairly obstructed.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Meantime, west end which has a massive rising population and had a citycat terminal approved years ago, said funding being pissed up against the flood costs and junked, gets nothing.

Welp: if they wont grease a marginal electorate under 600 seat margin risk, I guess they won't.

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
^^ With the LNP doing a preference deal with The Greens in that electorate, maybe Labor already see it as a lost cause. Also, greasing the electorate to save Jackie Trad is something that could backfire spectacularly.

·
Registered
79 Posts
^^ Also, more CityCat stops mean increasing the travel time. Montague Road is also serviced by the blue glider and other BUZ routes such as the 196 and 199, providing direction connection between the area and the CBD. Down the track, with Council looking to construct the two new green bridges in the area (Toowong to West End and UQ to West End), I just cant see the reason for a CityCat stop there

Also, this sounds like a State initiative and not Council's initiative. Although it's true that if money has been set aside for it then Council should come clean with it and explain to the ratepayers and developers why a CityCat stop has not been build yet.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Meantime, west end which has a massive rising population and had a citycat terminal approved years ago, said funding being pissed up against the flood costs and junked, gets nothing.

Welp: if they wont grease a marginal electorate under 600 seat margin risk, I guess they won't.
Maybe it's because ferries are a council thing and this is a state thing?

·
Registered
350 Posts
From the DA:

"...
1.2 PROPOSAL
On 13 December 2019 (properly made on 24 December 2019), the applicant lodged a
Development Application for Material change of use (development permit) and Operational works
application (development permit) for the construction of a new Ferry Terminal and associated tidal
works.
The proposal seeks to establish a new Ferry Terminal to service the HSW Precinct with the
capability to support CityCat services. The proposal includes the following attributes:?...."

its been designed up front as a citycat terminal as well as for runs to straddie

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
981 - 1000 of 1035 Posts