SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 697 Posts

·
i've changed my mind
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in the Sunday Mail today they had a picture of the proposed redevelopment of king george square in front of the brisbane city hall, with half of the area with a raised 4 story building on it... i dont have a scanner so i cant scan it, did anyone else cop a look at it? it looked pretty radical. Councillor Hinchcliffe of course was spitting chips. lol. as always.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
I had a look - it didn't really hit me as being great. They wont put up and buildings and I think that is a good idea. They should do something with it but I not to sure what. A competition will be held and they'll probably spend millions....

·
i've changed my mind
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont understand why they dont realise how lucky we are to have the open vista in front of city hall... look at sydney city council... they're in the process of buying back land infront of their city hall so they can have a square in front like ours. maybe some near artwork is needed, but nothing too drastic.

·
Yeah but No!!
1,503 Posts
Well the square could be updated a little bit but no buildings please. It is a fantastic gathering place for all soughts of events and if anything, I would like to see a better pedestrian link to Roma St Parklands and Station

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
No development of KGS. No Federation Square type thing in Brisbane. We don't really need it anyway. There's an underground walkway between the RSP and RSS.

·
Yeah but No!!
1,503 Posts
Anyone have any idea of how much disruption at ground level, the construction of the bus tunnel will cause? Obviously it will cause some disruption on Adelaide and Albert St, but will the fact that the underground carpark is already there mean that construction is kept underground with no disruption to the actual square? Or will KGS be closed for the length of the construction?

·
Registered Yooser
1,456 Posts
GMAC said:
Anyone have any idea of how much disruption at ground level, the construction of the bus tunnel will cause? Obviously it will cause some disruption on Adelaide and Albert St, but will the fact that the underground carpark is already there mean that construction is kept underground with no disruption to the actual square? Or will KGS be closed for the length of the construction?

I'd say it will probably be closed just for the tunnel construction underneath. But anyway, reguarding KGS, i think it should be left how it is, with maybe a few more features to make it look a little more 'exciting' :p

·
Registered
266 Posts
King George Square simply has no energy or life, compared to other cities including European ones it lacks any form of connection to the city around it. You are bound by the bus fumes on Adelaide st and Car fumes on Ann st, the "water featues" and the copper art pieces don't do much for you whilst sitting there, This site could have a fountain like in Hyde park sydney or the nice one in Adelaide and more sitting areas including a cafe section just something that makes you feel relaxed and want to stop in rather than walk right through it. It is large enough and central enough to get it right.

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
I think your missing the point. It isnt a park, its a square.
If you want something like hyde park, go to the botanical gardens.

I like it how it is, but it could do with some more amenities (seats, whatever)

·
Registered
63 Posts
i agree - it is a square - not a park. but a square needing some TLC,
a few new fountains and stuff wouldnt hurt. as for underground shopping that was mentioned in the Courier Mail yesterday - my god; dont we have enough.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Who ever mentioned turning it into a park? Having a fountain on the scale of Hyde park, Trafalga Square, etc does'nt mean its a park. Think of the fountains in Rome, Paris, and cities in Germany, then think of the 'water Feature" in KGS with the cigarettes clogging up the run off. Now that there are no fountains left in Brisbane this could be a perfect place for one. There used to be a fountain out the front of the BCC head office.

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
when you put it that way.... a crazy fountain like at southbank would be good (except better of course)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah true Danubis - are you talking of the one in the Cultural Forecourt area - thats very nice - i think for KGS though something with a bit more height and water - u know one of those huge - mult-teared things. that would be good. Something that makes a statement (if u know wat i mean)

1 - 20 of 697 Posts