Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Modulator
1,208 Posts
^^ Whoa. That tower is proposed on the Shell servo site on Epping Road (known locally as The Spacestation) between Lane Cove and Macquarie Park.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Um all those people living in those tower will have cars. Epping Road is only one lane each way in that section and you can't even get to the tunnel from there.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I agree with Council in this instance, I don't think it is an appropriate area, sadly as that tower looks good.

·
Modulator
1,208 Posts
I agree with Council in this instance, I don't think it is an appropriate area, sadly as that tower looks good.
+1

The developer is going to face an uphill battle on this one. As mentioned in Gumby's post, access to the site will be an issue. Requires rezoning and I doubt a development of that scale on that site has been factored into any planning strategy...

Looking through the environmental assessment reports, the applicant argues that the current use of the site (Shell/Maccas) has been undermined by the opening of the Lane Cove Tunnel and that this mixed use proposal will make better use of the site.

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
That's on Lane Cove near the river right? Interesting. I think a building like that would work in that area! And the bus lane goes down Epping Road and over the Harbour Bridge, it's pretty fast and low traffic route compared to say, routes down Victoria Road.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Big article in todays print edition of the North Shore Times (16/9/2011) about it. I think it looks great. This is the type of unit towers Sydney should be getting.

Lane Cove is closer to Chatswood so I would recommend putting it in the Chatswood thread.

·
Here
6,589 Posts
Is it the number of apartments that is the issue or the design and height? I mean had a developer proposed a lower but denser generic whitebox with the same number of units would the council be throwing up the same objections?

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
It's the height but also the following based on the internet article:

*Takes away land that could be used for employment purposes.
*"out of character" i.e too tall and too big.
*Wrecks views from nearby suburbs and the Lane Cove National Park.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
'out of character'. 'wrecks views'. the two most common (and subjective) NIMBY excuses.

Why can't other people say that it "adds visual interest to the landscape hence improving views", or "creates diversity hence adding character"? After all isn't that excactly what it'll be doing? Surely by adding buildings different varieties would improve character of the area. Behind it there's a bland, boring business park which could surely benefit from having some character added to it like what the development will do. And wouldn't adding a building of a different type and height improve the landscape? Wouldn't views looking to an area with different buildings of different heights be better than views looking to an area with a sea of similar buildings?

It's not 'wrecking views/character'. It's improving both. They're just too ignorant to realise that it seems.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I can't see the issue with this proposal, that part of Epping road is fine for development. I am not sure what locals are going to oppose it other than the town houses on the Hill. The rest of the property around here is commercial. I think this will be a great development but I will be a bit sad to see the space station go, its a local landmark! Lane Cove council and its local residents should support this since they are so set on fighting 4 storey "high rise" elsewhere in the municipality.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I was thinking about the transport for this Epping Road development, I believe there is a bus stop just up the road from here, could another one not be put in heading north and then the developer pay for a pedestrian overbridge?

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Epping Rd ain't seen anything like this before !

Dont know if anyone got a thread on this ?

WOW it looks bloody awesome ! Perfect spot on Epping Rd for it too ( where the current service station and Macca's is )

Unfortunately the north shore NIMBY's are lining up on this one with their usual dumbass logic.

Proposed Rose Group tower called ``ugly''- Council
13 Oct 11 @ 04:47pm by DANIELLE NICASTRI

A PROPOSED 25-storey tower development at 150 Epping Rd, Lane Cove, was called a potential Blues Point Tower at the latest Lane Cove Council meeting.

Councillors voted to forward a submission to the Planning Department outlining objections to the proposal, which was lodged by the Rose Group.

Cr Shauna Forrest said it had the potential to be an eyesore.

“At 25 storeys, the proposed tower is exactly the same height as the Blues Point Tower, which is considered as Sydney’s most ugly building,” she said.

“It’s not in the middle of the city, it’s surrounded by bushland in an industrial bushland corridor next to the Lane Cove River, therefore it would have the same impact as the Blues Point Tower.”

Cr Ann Smith said she supported a previous design for two smaller towers on the site.

Rose Group CEO Bob Rose said the 25-storey option was favoured to deliver the best urban design and planning solution for the site.

“It will be a landmark project situated at the entry to Lane Cove, with the concept proposal designed by internationally renowned architects Conybeare Morrison,” he said.

The proposal will be decided under controversial Part 3A government planning laws.

Under the laws, the Planning and Assessment Commission is the consent authority.

http://north-shore-times.whereilive.com.au/news/story/short-circuit-for-ugly-high-tower/

1 - 20 of 129 Posts