SkyscraperCity banner

521 - 540 of 578 Posts

·
Registered
19,253 Posts
https://theurbandeveloper.com/articles/winten-wins-tallest-tower-title-with-12-bn-1-denison-street-top-out?utm_source=TUD+Master+List&utm_campaign=974abd1195-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_07_03_11_11_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_9f25b32131-974abd1195-188337591

CONSTRUCTION
INGRID WOODROW
TUE 25 FEB 20

Winten’s $1.2bn 1 Denison Street Tops Out

Winten Property Group has “topped out” its new $1.2 billion commercial office tower—now the tallest building in North Sydney.

With its distinctive, inclined Bates Smart-designed facade, the 158-metre skyscraper at 1 Denison Street was built by Multiplex, appointed after Winten terminated a $200 million contract with Grocon amid a refinancing deal.

Winten development director Stuart Vaughan said the benchmark-setting project was a significant one for the business.

“We are demonstrating our commitment to job creation in North Sydney and helping stimulate the growing local economy,” Vaughan said.

“Over 80 per cent of the building is now leased to several high-profile corporate companies including Nine, Microsoft and SAP.

Winten Property Group's skyscraper at 1 Denison Street is now North Sydney's tallest tower.

“One Denison will become a defining landmark on North Sydney’s skyline among several new hotels that are moving into the area.

“When completed over 6,000 people will reside in the building.”

Purchased for around $80 million in 2016, the site's location in the heart of North Sydney presented unique challenges, according to Multiplex’s regional managing director David Ghannoum.

“As well as installing curved glass panels to create the inclined façade, Multiplex has been challenged by the tight site, with building works occurring from boundary to boundary and many other large sites within close proximity,” Ghannoum said.

More than 2,700 construction workers toiled over the tower, which was delivered using 36,400 cubic metres of concrete and is expected to achieve a minimum 5 Star Green Star and NABERS ratings.

One Denison is scheduled for completion in September.

·
Registered
74,293 Posts
wow what a view. bloody concrete pump hiding crown ;(

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
It will be interesting to see the sea of people flowing through Greenwood Plaza between this opening and the Metro opening at Victoria Cross.

·
Galactic Ruler
6,855 Posts
In the context of North Sydney Tall Buildings, no, it's not too bad.

I don't personally have a strong view either way, just wanted to counter the suggestion that a building can't be both a heritage building and an eyesore!
(In fact, it's often the same characteristics that make something 'an eyesore' that make it good for heritage status - check out Alexandra Road Estate in London, which is a Grade II listed building)
Why do you see brutalism as an eyesore? I for one see Alexandra Road as a beautiful monumental example of the style. It could do with a clean and some renovation maybe but I find the style pleasing. I'm happy it's listed. I guess you also hate on the Barbican Estate and the now gone Tricorn estate? What is wrong with people and their distaste for the pure expression of concrete and strong forms?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Why do you see brutalism as an eyesore? I for one see Alexandra Road as a beautiful monumental example of the style. It could do with a clean and some renovation maybe but I find the style pleasing. I'm happy it's listed. I guess you also hate on the Barbican Estate and the now gone Tricorn estate? What is wrong with people and their distaste for the pure expression of concrete and strong forms?
i think you've taken my comments a bit too personally for some reason, and completely out of context.

I never stated that brutalism = eyesore, simply that a building being listed/heritage doesn't preclude it from being an eyesore.

Just to close off; beauty (or lack of) is personal and subjective opinion - someone can't be wrong for finding a building unattractive.

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Does anyone know if the signage will be Microsoft, Nine or something else?
no DA for signage yet - but Microsoft or Nine must be the most likely.

This will be the Microsoft new HQ from mid 2021 so they would like and be prepared to pay for signage rights.

Nine Entertainment pre-committed to 17,000 sqm

Microsoft has leased seven floors of 1 Denison – from level 25 to 31 inclusive: an area of 10,655 sqm.

SAP has also signed on, for 6000 sqm.

This render (from media article) shows where Microsoft has leased - probably not actual signage

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I'd say Nine probably locked in the signage rights before Microsoft even signed on.

Maybe they could have one side each?

·
Galactic Ruler
6,855 Posts
^^I hope Microsoft manages to get the rights, I'd say both Nine and MSFT will both be very interested in naming the tower, who knows which way it will go. Interesting that they will both be in the tower with their already close connection through their ventures of the past. They could always go with NineMSN :lol:

·
Galactic Ruler
6,855 Posts
With the Salesforce tower naming rights going to have pride of place in circular quay I'd say MSFT will want it's brand very visible on the skyline in this instance.

521 - 540 of 578 Posts