1 - 20 of 989 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mixed Use Residential Development comprised of:

* demolition of existing structures
* four levels of basement car parking accommodating 597 car spaces
* a 3 storey podium comprised of residential and commercial lobby areas, 8 retail tenancies, a 1928m2 supermarket, a 705m2 childcare centre and 9 maisonette apartments fronting the river and resident recreational facilities
* a 22 storey tower (eastern tower) containing 170 serviced apartments
* a 32 storey tower (western) containing 211 residential apartments.

"The federal government has approved the proposed Meriton Apartments’ project, on the former David Jones site, at 330 Church Street. Council had expressed its concerns to the federal government regarding the impact on views from the World Heritage listed Old Government House, in Parramatta Park, which could have may affected proposed high rise building projects in the CBD, such as the $135 million Meriton Apartments’ proposal including 24-storey and 34-storey residential towers."

http://parramattas.blogspot.com.au/

By fabianamuso at 2011-09-23

·
Registered
77,336 Posts

·
Registered
77,336 Posts
to give you an idea. the shorter tower is about as high as current tallest crop, escen,Eclipse and soon B1., so the tall tower really will dominate the city centre until the 55storey in the mall gets up!

·
Registered
77,336 Posts
nothing yet, but design comp is supposed to be very soon.we may have a design in sept.ish

·
1,366 Posts

*Council had expressed its concerns to the federal government regarding the impact on views from the World Heritage listed Old Government House, in Parramatta Park, which could have may affected proposed high rise building projects in the CBD, such as the $135 million Meriton Apartments’ proposal including 24-storey and 34-storey residential towers."

wtf, it's bloody far away from the proposed development..plus it's gonna enhance the bloody view - what else can you see from the friggen' Old Govt House.....stupid councils.. :bash:they should all be abolished and replaced with one super council :lol:

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
I've made mention of that point before. Plus Old Government House is on a hill, and its not a prominent one either. Even then you cannot really see it from miles away.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

*Council had expressed its concerns to the federal government regarding the impact on views from the World Heritage listed Old Government House, in Parramatta Park, which could have may affected proposed high rise building projects in the CBD, such as the $135 million Meriton Apartments’ proposal including 24-storey and 34-storey residential towers."

wtf, it's bloody far away from the proposed development..plus it's gonna enhance the bloody view - what else can you see from the friggen' Old Govt House.....stupid councils.. :bash:they should all be abolished and replaced with one super council :lol:
I think it was incorrect reporting by the Parramattas website.

I'm pretty sure that local council is all for the development, I think it was the old government house trust and a few NIMBYs who objected.

It's good to see the Federal Government has put the issue to rest about building heights in the western end of the city.

·
Banned
371 Posts
Phwoar yeah!!! Keep em coming parra. New ones seem to be getting proposed weekly now and become taller thn the the last one. This really will be a CBD in its own right

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Form the Parramatta Council website.

"I’m pleased to advise, the proposed Meriton development at 330 Church Street has been given the green light by the Federal Government.

As part of Meriton’s proposal, the development will be set back 10 metres further from the river than existing buildings. This will allow for community access and help Council activate the river foreshore".

·
Registered
599 Posts
It is not yet approved by planning NSW. Website still says proponent reviewing submission. It is likely them that referred it to another body. Suspect it will be approved within the month now. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
77,336 Posts
it will get up no doubt. parra council and other authorities would be silly to block a great development which will activate the dismal part of the city. meriton carry alot of weight these days. they just have to do what athorities want and all smooth sailing.

·
Here
6,589 Posts
I think it was incorrect reporting by the Parramattas website.

I'm pretty sure that local council is all for the development, I think it was the old government house trust and a few NIMBYs who objected.
I think you're right ... I would ask these nimbies what view exactly are getting blocked? Other than the southern end most of the house is surrounded by established trees that block the view from all other angles. Maybe that is their next campaign, to remove all the trees and to return the park to colonial farmland?

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=P...ram&t=h&hnear=Parramatta+New+South+Wales&z=19

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=P...oid=SVS8UQFKm90DwVg1pad7ag&cbp=12,107.67,,0,0

·
Streetwalker
7,028 Posts
The renders of the project look great. :eek:kay:

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
It does look quite good from Parramatta Park. The smaller tower doesnt rise over the canopy either.

As for referral to another body, it wont happen. Planning NSW has the ultimate power to either approve or reject the D/A.

1 - 20 of 989 Posts