SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 501 Posts

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Also big plans announced for a 30,000 seat stadium in the city,

I really cant see it happening within the next 5 years along with a new entertainment centre?

Whats wrong with Diary Farmers Stadium?

I can imagine & understand there thought process though - or the aim there trying to achieve.

It be quite a unique and attractive setting with a new Entertainment Centre and a New 30,000 seat stadium both next door to each other. (TOD (Transit Orientated Development) anyone?)

With a short stroll to the CBD and Southbank, its actually quite mind boggling the more I think about it and how much potential this entire area has, not to mention what's already planned, Quite exciting really!

Stadium bid for Townsville CBD

NATHAN PAULL | August 13th, 2011

THE North Queensland Cowboys have launched a bold bid for a new football stadium in the heart of Townsville's CBD.

Cowboys chairman Laurence Lancini met with Sports Minister Phil Reeves yesterday ahead of last night's sold-out Cowboys v Broncos NRL clash to discuss the proposal.

The 30,000-seat stadium is expected to be built within the next five years on QR (Queensland Rail) National land fronting Flinders St West.

The land has been earmarked for a new sports stadium in Townsville City Council's CBD Masterplan.

The State Government and the council have thrown their weight behind the bid.

Mr Reeves said an official decision was still to be made as negotiations with QRN, which had no plans to stop operations at the site, were still to be held.

"Today I received a proposal from the North Queensland Cowboys for a new stadium and possible location," he said.

"Obviously, as I've only just received the proposal, it would be far too early to make any sort of judgment.

"It's my understanding that QRN, the present owners of the proposed site, have no desire to stop their operations there," Mr Reeves said.

"Since January 2004, the State Government has invested $36.3 million into Dairy Farmers Stadium."

Thuringowa MP Craig Wallace said securing the land would be the biggest hurdle.

However, once that was sorted, the stadium would be a major coup for the North.

"It would mean we were in a better position to attract things like semi-finals of the rugby league," he said.

"I would sincerely hope that one day, if we get this world-class stadium, we would get a State of Origin game played in Townsville and further rugby league Test matches."

Townsville Mayor Les Tyrell backed the bid, which could one day put Townsville in the frame to host a State of Origin match.

"We're always willing to look at those sorts of sporting events," he said.

"We've got a pretty good track record on that with the V8s, and our support for the Cowboys and Crocodiles."

Cr Tyrell said the Townsville CBD Masterplan identified South Townsville as an ideal spot for the new sporting facility.
Cowboys management was reluctant to discuss the plan until it had been developed further.​

·
21,965 Posts
The problem with dairy farmers is that it is in the middle of nowhere. I don't know of the rail yards is the best location, bit closer to the CBD would be much better. How could would it be just to walk down the road to Palmer Street after a game?

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem with dairy farmers is that it is in the middle of nowhere. I don't know of the rail yards is the best location, bit closer to the CBD would be much better. How could would it be just to walk down the road to Palmer Street after a game?
Well really its less then a kilometre walk between this site proposed for the new stadium and Palmer Street.

A lot of the railyard activities have moved out of town (Cluden). I guess the government still owns the land and can do with it as they please (within reason).

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Furthermore, The more I think about this entire proposal, the more I'm REALLY starting to like it and the more it makes sense to build it!

Having the V8 Supercars (Reid Park Precinct), Entertainment Centre, Stadium, Civic Theatre, Night clubs all within walking distance around the CBD can only mean one thing for Townsville!

It's really only setting itself up for success! Should they get the crucial Public Transport correct, Then there really isnt any reason why this cant work?

Not sure about attracting a State of Origin match as Craig Wallace suggest's,

However if they can set out provisions to extend the stadium for a "one of occasion" to cater for 50,000+ like Olympic Park in Sydney done for the 2000 Olympics, then there is no real reason why it cant happen?

Done abit of Googling for this new stadium and there has been ALLOT of attention within internet forums, this bloke summed it up well:

Here's a few
Cowboys Stampede forum - New Stadium
League Unlimited
Future NRL Stadiums
Aus Stadiums

Is It Our Turn Yet of Cowboys Stampede:
The new stadium right near the new Convention Centre with only a big car park in between would actually rejuvinate the CBD eneourmously. Think of the area on a Sat night game. It would also attract a lot more people to the game who would make it a proper night out with early dinner, the game and then off to a club afterwards. And it would be a great venue for more than just football.

All that activity and new unit construction would be a fine thing if you owned a lot of land and buildings in the CBD wouldn't it. And guess who owns a ****load of land and buildings in the CBD.

Having said that I don't care. I don't care if Laurence makes a buck or not. I don't care if he wants it there for his own advantage. I want a new and better stadium in a much more central location. I think it is good for Townsville and above all good for the cowboys because a new stadium in that location will increase game attendance by a substantial amount.

Now thats eneough about our new stadium from me.

Beaves NQ:
the whole ****ing stadium is a joke, I am sick of being treated like a 2nd class citizen when the ass****s down south get decent facilities compared to our rubbish grounds. Eat a dick Anna Bligh.

·
Registered
49 Posts
#Vision: Cowboys Stadium in Townsville CBD

Source: Townsville Bulletin (News Ltd.)
Stadium bid for Townsville CBD
NATHAN PAULL | August 13th, 2011

THE North Queensland Cowboys have launched a bold bid for a new football stadium in the heart of Townsville's CBD.

Cowboys chairman Laurence Lancini met with Sports Minister Phil Reeves yesterday ahead of last night's sold-out Cowboys v Broncos NRL clash to discuss the proposal.

The 30,000-seat stadium is expected to be built within the next five years on QR (Queensland Rail) National land fronting Flinders St West.

The land has been earmarked for a new sports stadium in Townsville City Council's CBD Masterplan.

The State Government and the council have thrown their weight behind the bid.

Mr Reeves said an official decision was still to be made as negotiations with QRN, which had no plans to stop operations at the site, were still to be held.

"Today I received a proposal from the North Queensland Cowboys for a new stadium and possible location," he said.

"Obviously, as I've only just received the proposal, it would be far too early to make any sort of judgment.

"It's my understanding that QRN, the present owners of the proposed site, have no desire to stop their operations there," Mr Reeves said.

"Since January 2004, the State Government has invested $36.3 million into Dairy Farmers Stadium."

Thuringowa MP Craig Wallace said securing the land would be the biggest hurdle.

However, once that was sorted, the stadium would be a major coup for the North.

"It would mean we were in a better position to attract things like semi-finals of the rugby league," he said.

"I would sincerely hope that one day, if we get this world-class stadium, we would get a State of Origin game played in Townsville and further rugby league Test matches."

Townsville Mayor Les Tyrell backed the bid, which could one day put Townsville in the frame to host a State of Origin match.

"We've got a pretty good track record on that with the V8s, and our support for the Cowboys and Crocodiles."

Cr Tyrell said the Townsville CBD Masterplan identified South Townsville as an ideal spot for the new sporting facility.
Cowboys management was reluctant to discuss the plan until it had been developed further.

·
©
9,413 Posts
So the CBD will be like gridlock everytime the Cowboys play? No thanks. PT isn't good enough in Townsville for a stadium of that size in that location.

Honestly, I don't know why Dairy Farmers can't be upgraded? It could be done in stages similar to what they're doing at Energy Australia Stadium in Newcastle.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I don't mind the concept as part of a long term plan, but purely in a way that the idea is kept in mind if/when QRN no longer need the land.

I don't see why it is being discussed while the land is in use though. It's just typical Lancini trying to find a way to advantage himself by bending government policies and politics generally, normal developer crap I guess.

·
6,400 Posts
Meh, we may as well keep it. Then we can just bump this thread in 20 years time, if it ever acutally happens. And by the way welcome to SSC monkey1988 :)

I'm not sure why they're proposing this now. As the article says, Queensland Rail have "no plans to stop operations at the site". The Cowboys think they can just have any land they want to build a stadium? This is worse then the time TCC said they were going to build the new entertainment centre on the Flinders Plaza site, even though it was owned by a private company. But does this mean the Cowboys won't be moving the Leagues Club out into the sticks? It would be nice to have a proper stadium though, rather then the pseudo-temporary grandstands at Dairy Farmers. I'd be happy enough with redevelopment on the current site though.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Waste of money. Whats the point of building another stadium when the Government wasted $36 million on DFS (which would then become another white elephant).

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Waste of money. Whats the point of building another stadium when the Government wasted $36 million on DFS (which would then become another white elephant).
Well no not exactly....

The $36 million was a meazley splash of paint and a few demountable toilets - a piss in the wind really.

The main reason being really is Diary Farmers Stadium is regarded as a tip, for how much the place hosts, it would without a doubt be one of, if not the most run down stadium in Aus, being out in the sticks, its old, tired and run down and inadequate to adapt and meet the cities growing needs.

The reason the rail yards ARE being considered from what I read via the forums and what was on the news tonight is that because its Government owned AND it will cost allot more to renovate DFS, where as its allot less to build an entirely new stadium, that said it will not only help stimulate the local economy but will really add numbers at surface level in what will ultimately transform this entire city in years to come :).

For the money the QLD Gov. invests they'll help encourage growth and fuel activity which they'll ultimitly see a return $ometime in the future.

Maybe now you can see it from a business prospective rather then writing it off (Unlikely) completely for the sake of “Oa its already had an upgrade, surely they can't build another one, bah bah whinge whinge I’am from Cairns and we get nothing”..

·
©
9,413 Posts
That $36 million upgrade was great value for our money. What a rort. :eek:hno:

For the amount Stadiums Queensland (Qld Govt) charge for use of these stadiums, we should already have a first class facility. Rip off merchants.

·
Registered
571 Posts
The upgrade is a crock. Willows Sports Complex (I hate stadium naming rights ;)) is a bloody joke. The Western Stand is OK, the Eastern/Northern/Southern Stands looks OK on the surface but would be at their limit and are basic structures but have dodgy demountable crap underneath with the Southern and Northern still having grass FFS.

I can see the advantage of a stadium near the CBD and think it's a good long goal, though don't have a personal problem with the current stadium location - but can certainly see why one near the CBD would work better.

But I'd hate to see money to continue being slowly eaten away at Willows for half-arsed upgrades, it's a poor long term solution. What it'd need to be fixed up would probably make it unusable while it is worked on, or at least with very limited capacity.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was having a nosy at other Stadiums around Australia that are smaller then Townsville, and Aurora Park in Launceston (Although Oval) appears allot better at surface level then DFS,

I mean it even has a roof sub-structure! & SEATS!... The comparisons speak for themselves really...

Aurora Park Launceston

Dairy Farmers Stadium Townsville:

Bellerive oval Hobart

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well no not exactly....

The $36 million was a meazley splash of paint and a few demountable toilets - a piss in the wind really.
When DFS started off, it may have been a shonky looking thing with demountable toilets and stuff.
Major improvements and heaps of money was poured into DFS once it came under the control of the State Gvt (back then the Major Sports Stadium Authority or something). That is evident by the upgraded extensions to the Northern, Western and Southern grandstands.
There was also major upgrades to toilet and food and beverage facilities.

The main reason being really is Diary Farmers Stadium is regarded as a tip, for how much the place hosts, it would without a doubt be one of, if not the most run down stadium in Aus, being out in the sticks, its old, tired and run down and inadequate to adapt and meet the cities growing needs.
This is where i think you're wrong. Dairy Farmers Stadium is considered to be one of regional Australia's premier stadiums. The State Gvt has looked after it pretty well since they took over from the Cowboys management quite a few years ago.
Townsville is growing yes but statistically a majority of people that attend the games are from outside of Townsville. DFS doesnt really get filled to capacity and only sees that once in a blue moon kinda thing (as is the case with the recent clash with the Broncos).
My argument purely is: Why does Townsville need another stadium when it cant fill the current stadium to capacity (26,500)?
What then happens to DFS once this new stadium is built? Will it become a white elephant which no-one uses?

Maybe now you can see it from a business prospective rather then writing it off (Unlikely) completely for the sake of “Oa its already had an upgrade, surely they can't build another one, bah bah whinge whinge I’am from Cairns and we get nothing”..
As i have said above: The state gvt will lose out because it will throw money into building a new stadium whilst maintaining a current stadium which will probably not get as much use. From a business perspective: Why build another stadium when there clearly isnt really a demand for it as the current stadium cant even get filled to capacity on most games? There is still room at DFS to expand, why not still build on what you've got? What then becomes of DFS? Will it just be a dormant ghost-like facility that will catch cobwebs? The state and fed gvt already wasted money building reid park v8's facility and yet it rarely gets used only race day (and is also a burden to the rate payers of Townsville).

bah bah whinge whinge I’am from Cairns and we get nothing”..
Townsville's no stranger to playing the victim card as well. Cairns doesn't have a parliamentary secretary to the premier based in its city and nor is it looked upon favorably by Gvts and so it doesn't have the luxury of getting the attention of Gvts like some other cities in Qld do.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I was having a nosy at other Stadiums around Australia that are smaller then Townsville, and Aurora Park in Launceston (Although Oval) appears allot better at surface level then DFS,

I mean it even has a roof sub-structure! & SEATS!... The comparisons speak for themselves really...
Yep, DFS is a bloody joke.

When DFS started off, it may have been a shonky looking thing with demountable toilets and stuff.
Major improvements and heaps of money was poured into DFS once it came under the control of the State Gvt (back then the Major Sports Stadium Authority or something). That is evident by the upgraded extensions to the Northern, Western and Southern grandstands. There was also major upgrades to toilet and food and beverage facilities.
It's still terrible compared to other stadiums. The problem is that when you just replace demountables with more fixed structures then that's all it looks like. The structure is still the same, there is still no roof over the stands, the stands at each end are still independent and do not link up, the screen is still a dodgy setup - like I said, it's a joke.

Townsville is growing yes but statistically a majority of people that attend the games are from outside of Townsville. DFS doesnt really get filled to capacity and only sees that once in a blue moon kinda thing (as is the case with the recent clash with the Broncos).
My argument purely is: Why does Townsville need another stadium when it cant fill the current stadium to capacity (26,500)?
I would argue that part of the reason it doesn't get great crowds is because of its location. I'm not a big NRL fan by any means, but I'd certainly consider going to games more often if it meant I walked out near the city and could easily go for a few drinks afterwards without having to queue up for a bus.

What then happens to DFS once this new stadium is built? Will it become a white elephant which no-one uses?
That's a legitimate question. The Western stand is probably the only reasonably built portion of the stadium, kind of like Tony Ireland Stadium having a single side being well built, and for similar purposes you could keep and maintain that. The Eastern/Northern/Southern future would need to be considered though, and the food facilities underneath would be overkill. Amusingly the stadium, without the upper parts of the Eastern/Northern/Southern is exactly the sort of stadium the Fury needed.

There is still room at DFS to expand, why not still build on what you've got? What then becomes of DFS?
The problem with throwing more money over and over at DFS is that you're building on something that's never going to be ideal. Continually building on top of poor foundations is just going to result in a greater waste of money down the track.

·
Registered
525 Posts

[/IMG]
State of Origin in Townsville - biggest load of crap ever. S.O.O will never leave Brisbane/Suncorp.

·
opinions are my own
1,343 Posts
even if you ignore the cost of building the new stadium, and ignore the sunk costs in mothballing the old stadium.... how the hell do they think they are going to get the land?? QR is currently using it. it's full of railway infrastructure that will need to be relocated. that will cost money. they will also need new land to replace the existing land. put together moving QR would probably cost more money than the old stadium and a new stadium put together.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
even if you ignore the cost of building the new stadium, and ignore the sunk costs in mothballing the old stadium.... how the hell do they think they are going to get the land?? QR is currently using it. it's full of railway infrastructure that will need to be relocated. that will cost money. they will also need new land to replace the existing land. put together moving QR would probably cost more money than the old stadium and a new stadium put together.
As I explained, the QR land is owned and operated by the Queensland Government anyway who in turn can do willy nilly and the majority of the yards HAVE been moved out to Stuart and Cluden (Apart of Port Access), therefore freeing up the land and making it void in a few years anyway.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Also may I add, the lease runs out for the Cowboys and DFS at the end of 2011 which is probably why there considering packing up shop anyway,

That and the costs to facilitate a rebuild (Interference with match fixings as well) and renovate is too great (Expensive) and itll cost allot less to build an entirely new Stadium and Clubhouse in the CBD (Away from the sticks),

not to mention the ongoing socio-economic benefits it would bring ...

1 - 20 of 501 Posts