SkyscraperCity banner

501 - 520 of 521 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
I hope they use the area properly, like including the entry to the V8’s at the new bridge across to Reid Park instead of down past the rail station. I drive past a lot of days and the amount of people walking and running through the precinct has really increased as well so it’s generating usage already.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #503 ·
that's impressive, i didn't realise they were building that sports excellence centre.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Long time lurker but wanted to ask here if anyone knows if the stadium has a scheduled night illumination timetable or is only illuminated during events? Was leaving on an evening GA flight recently and on takeoff I was surprised the lights were off so it took me a while to identify

·
Registered
610 Posts
This is such a beautiful stadium, beats Skilled Park in Goldy IMHO.
Or Cbus whatever the hell it's called now. Robina etc.

·
Registered
249 Posts
This is such a beautiful stadium, beats Skilled Park in Goldy IMHO.
Or Cbus whatever the hell it's called now. Robina etc.
They provide different experiences for different crowds, Robina Stadium Provides something which suits the GC while this suits Townsville

·
i've changed my mind
3,840 Posts
will they be building other sports facilities in the precinct?

bidding for the com games shouldn't be a ridiculous idea... I think they're trying to encourage the smaller cities to host into the future to make it more sustainable

·
Registered
745 Posts
There is a new Hotel planned for the area (Double Tree by Hilton), but covid has delayed this unfortunately. They do hope to start this year from what I have read, but time will tell.

·
6,431 Posts
Pretty good crowd in for the NRL All Stars Game on the weekend - 20,206 for an exhibition game, and the fact there was light rain all day. Only the second time a 100% capacity has been allowed for a game, with 22,459 for the Broncos game at the start of last season, when the emerging pandemic would have kept a lot of people away. I think those are pretty good indications that the stadium will be well supported, despite its vocal opponents, if COVID doesn't affect us this season.

And a pretty big coup for Townsville, with annoucement that KISS will play at QCB Stadium on December 4th, again dependent on COVID I guess. Hows this for a tour list - they're playing Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth...and Townsville!

NRL All Stars match brings $4M economic boost to Townsville - Townsville Bulletin, 22nd Feb 2021

Townsville hosts KISS in their final ever Australian concert in December - Townsville Bulletin, 26th Feb 2021

·
6,431 Posts
Pretty good crowd in for the NRL All Stars Game on the weekend - 20,206 for an exhibition game, and the fact there was light rain all day. Only the second time a 100% capacity has been allowed for a game, with 22,459 for the Broncos game at the start of last season, when the emerging pandemic would have kept a lot of people away. I think those are pretty good indications that the stadium will be well supported, despite its vocal opponents, if COVID doesn't affect us this season.
Well those indications were incorrect, because the attendances at QCB Stadium have been very concerning so far. Three games played with attendances of 15,120 against St George, 12,627 against Gold Goast, then 11,965 against Canterbury - average of 13,237 but trending downwards. In comparison, the last year at Dairy Farmers Stadium had an average attendance of 13,658.

Could be a number of reasons, starting with the Cowboys poor performance thus far, although they placed third last in 2019 and still drew similar crowds. Or, maybe even up here in Townsville, a lot of people are wary of mass gatherings during a pandemic? Or...do we need to consider if it actually was a mistake to build the stadium near the CBD?

Obviously we needed a new stadium - it was more cost effective to build a new one than keep refurbishing the old one. But surely spending money on a new, much better facility should have improved attendances? You could argue that even if it attracts less patrons, it's still a worthy investment if that reduced number of patrons are coming into the CBD and spending money at restaurants and bars. But critics of the stadium would expect an increase, and I don't think I can blame them.

Obviously it's early in the season and too early to make a proper judgement either way. The average may end up improving, but I'm a little dissapointed so far.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Corporates are full, which was one of the main drivers behind the stadium push in the first place. Many had left because of the old stadium just wasn’t convenient, it was a pain to get people in and out, especially those from out of town. It would be nice to see a bigger overall crowd but the Cowboys wouldn’t be too concerned as the corporates is where most of the money is, a bit like first and business class on a plane and I am sure when they start performing better the overall crowd will lift.

501 - 520 of 521 Posts