SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 501 Posts

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
^^ Would be a great position.

Whether or not its financially viable is another issue though.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Positive news:

BOLD AMBITIONS: Concept plans for a football stadium in Townsville's city heart have been delivered to State Government

Plans for $185m inner-city sports stadium

JESSICA JOHNSTON | August 27th, 2011

A CONCEPT plan for Townsville's new inner-city $185 million sporting stadium has been revealed for the first time.

The North Queensland Toyota Cowboys have launched a bold bid to construct a football stadium in the city heart to replace the dilapidated Dairy Farmers Stadium.

The concept plan identifies a 17.28ha parcel of land bounded by Saunders St, and currently owned by QR National, as the ideal site for a new international standard stadium.

The 30,000 seat stadium would include 100 open-air corporate boxes and 25 enclosed corporate suites.

Two 450-seat function rooms and 24 permanent food and beverage outlets are included in the plan.

The ground would also include two 60 sqm video replay screens, four radio broadcast booths, two television commentary booths, a TV presentation suite and a press conference room and media lounge.

The concept plan, which has been delivered to the State Government, indicates it would cost $185 million to bring Dairy Farmers Stadium up to standard.

Master planning and analysis of Dairy Farmers conducted as part of the 2022 FIFA World Cup Bid suggested a total redevelopment of the site and outlined key issues including the growth rate of the surrounding suburbs and incompatibility of hosting major events in an expanding residential centre, with limited public transport access.

The grassed hill area, while noted as a point of difference to other Queensland venues, was said to be increasingly unpopular with many hiring companies preferring a full seated venue.

Major disruption to hirers during construction resulting in falls in revenue was also noted as a hindrance to redevelopment.

The city site was deemed superior in terms of its location and accessibility and would be delivered at a similar cost to redevelopment of Dairy Farmers, which was originally converted from a horse track to meet minimal NRL requirements in 1995.

The bid book makes numerous references to Premier Anna Bligh's vision of Townsville as the "state's second capital - a rival for Brisbane in terms of economic, cultural and social opportunities". While the State Government has reacted optimistically to the plan, key ministers said securing the land from QR would present the biggest hurdle.

However, the plan states that relocating the existing rail yards to Stuart was consistent with the principles outlined in the Townsville Port Authority Master Plan 2010-2040.

Cowboys management yesterday spoke for the first time about the well-guarded plan for the new sporting facility.

Cowboys chairman Laurence Lancini said relocating the home ground to the inner-city would not only benefit the club, but the city as a whole.

"Nationally and internationally, if you look at the statistics on new stadiums built close to cities (it) helps the revitalisation of cities," he said. "It certainly helps the valuation of properties around the stadium and helps the establishment of other reciprocal business, such as restaurants, hotels and the many users that would surround an entertainment facility."

Mr Lancini said when the Brisbane Broncos moved to Suncorp Stadium, "membership and attendance basically doubled overnight".

"If you look at most major cities a stadium is an entertainment venue and most cities have a stadium close to the city," he said.

"As far as Dairy Farmers Stadium, it's been a facility that's been good for us for many years.

"But we are a national sporting club and unfortunately we have to compete for our corporate sponsors, major sponsors and the people who our attend our venue.

"It's very difficult for us to compete, particularly with the corporate market, where competitors have facilities that are far superior to ours.

"For Townsville this venue will be a great entertainment venue for concerts and other sporting events that could be brought to the city.

"This facility would be fantastic for our city, particularly if the Gold Coast is successful with their Commonwealth Games bid for 2018.

"If we've got a facility like this it obviously enables a lot of those teams to be able to be based here for pre-games training."

·
©
9,413 Posts
I originally thought they were talking about the site that Devine were supposed to be developing at some stage for some reason, I don't know why. Anyway, after seeing that aerial shot/render, I guess the access in/out isn't too bad. I'm warming to the concept.

·
Troppo In TSV
522 Posts
Seems like only yesterday we had a "proposal" for a Convention Centre next door at Dean Park ... sigh.

I wish we could rid ourselves of this mentality of town planning by proxy. Where's council in all of this? Why haven't we got firm ideas for this precinct? How does it fit in with the proposed residential/commercial development next door or even the proposed Convention Centre?

Kinda sick of it really. I agree with a comment Oriolous made while back comparing our situation to Brisbane - why are we treated like mushrooms in this town? It makes the whole planning process a joke.

To be honest, and this is the cynic in me, I suspect this is more about building a case for driving a 4 lane road down the old railway corridor when it's closed once the port access link is opened. The latest "CBD plans" still have lots of stuff dumped on the western side of Ross Creek (ferries, bus terminals, etc) so having a decent road into it will be critical.

As for the concept - it's a no-brainer really - the stadium should have always been in the CBD. If you had a blank canvas, the last place you'd put a national stadium is in the middle of suburbia.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Lol @ Dazo89 or whatever making his opinion heard, narrow minded people like him who continually cant see the broader economic prosperity should be culled. Thanks dickhead - get over yourself!

CBD sports hub plan

JESSICA JOHNSTON | February 9th, 2012

THE masterplan for a new entertainment centre will be overhauled to incorporate a football stadium in a "super facility" city leaders hope will secure vital government funding.

The mega-venue, earmarked for Townsville's CBD, would co-locate homegrounds for both the Cowboys and Crocodiles, while having the capacity to lure international entertainers and conventions.

The proposal would replace bids for a separate convention centre and football stadium in the inner-city submitted to the State Government last year to replace the ageing Dairy Farmers Stadium and Townsville Entertainment and Convention Centre.

The heads of Townsville's major national sporting teams yesterday said they had joined forces to strengthen the case for the complex.

Cowboys CEO Peter Jourdain said the concept would provide huge benefits to both the clubs and the city.

"We can see some huge benefits in shared infrastructure and hopefully it will reduce the overall cost," Mr Jourdain said.

"It's better for the future of Townsville to work together.

"We would be trying to get this to work with the overall revitalisation of the CBD."

Crocodiles CEO Ian Smythe said the facility had the potential to be a city landmark, akin with The Strand and revitalised mall.

"It will be a signature project ... an iconic facility that people will be proud of," Mr Smythe said.

"It goes beyond sport. What we're trying to do is create Townsville as a genuine second capital and events city of North Queensland."

Playing fields, administration, recovery gyms and sport science facilities would be co-located for the clubs, while a transport hub tapping into new roads and railway linking the port have also been discussed.

hile the council and the Federal Government have each pledged $47.67 million to a convention centre, the State Government has been reluctant to come on board, instead commissioning a business case to assess the viability of the centre.

Plans submitted to the State Government for a $185 million stadium to replace Dairy Farmers identified a 17.28ha parcel of land bounded by Saunders St, and currently owned by QR National.

That plan included a 30,000-seat stadium, with 100 open-air corporate boxes, 25 enclosed corporate suites, two 450-seat function rooms and 24 permanent food and beverage outlets.

Dean St was earmarked for the 5200-seat convention centre, with 12 meeting rooms, over 300sqm of exhibition space and ballroom and banquet facilities to cater for 1800.

Townsville Enterprise CEO David Kippin yesterday said TEL would be asking for the State Government to revise the terms and conditions of the convention study to incorporate the new football stadium proposal.

"Maybe there is the prospect of a better reaction if we present an arguement of a combined facility."

Premier Anna Bligh yesterday said the government had a good history in putting funds into the "right kinds" of investment in Townsville.

So we've funded the business case. You can't put that much money into an investment until you know it's the right one."

Townsville MP Mandy Johnstone said the government was finalising terms of reference for a convention centre and said the relocation of Dairy Farmers Stadium to the CBD may have to be dealt with separately.​

hahahahahahahahahahahaha..... good luck. You can't even come close to filling a 20,000 seat stadium. Why would anyone throw money away for a 30,000 seat stadium? Of course it would be nice, but no one is going to just drop a nice little 'gift' that isn't needed in all your laps. Cute.

Posted by: Daz of Cairns 7:20pm Thursday

·
Registered
199 Posts
Lol @ Dazo89 or whatever making his opinion heard, narrow minded people like him who continually cant see the broader economic prosperity should be culled. Thanks dickhead - get over yourself!

CBD sports hub plan
Excuse me? What does this have to do with me? In fact I can't even find where you got that comment from.
You do realise there are 160,000 people in Cairns, right?

Having said that, I would probably have to agree that it is unlikely to happen. The typical 'feasibility' studies will wreck all the fun as they usually do with these kinds of things. That's a lot of money that someone will find a more urgent use for.

·
©
9,413 Posts
The government is supporting the plan right at this moment........... In the leadup to the state elections. That might help buy them a few extra votes! Then if they get re-elected, funding for it would be out the window no doubt.

Just while i'm talking about elections, where's young Gertzy? I see he's the Labor candidate for Dalrymple! It's a tough electorate for Labor to win though. Good luck with it all! (Even though I'm a right winger!) ;)

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
A Plan that makes sense.... a plan that would transform this city!

Joint city stadium plans revealed

KATHLEEN SKENE | February 16th, 2012

Concept plan of the proposed joint facility for the Cowboys and Crocodiles which would include an entertainment centre and convention facilities

AN artist's impression of the proposed Townsville "super stadium" has been revealed by the project's champions.

The venue, earmarked for a location near the CBD, would co-locate home grounds for the Cowboys and Crocodiles and could be used for performances and functions.

The State Government has agreed to fund a feasibility study into the proposal, which would replace bids for a separate convention centre and football stadium.

Cowboys CEO Peter Jourdain said the venue could be the "precinct for the future", creating a sport and entertainment hub for local, national and world events.

Mr Jourdain said it made sense to fund one stadium with shared amenities at the same site instead of building two separate facilities.

"There is certainly going to be some synergy and savings to be made," he said.

"The Crocodiles and Cowboys, Townsville Enterprise and Townsville City Council are all trying to work together to conceptually see whether we can get a fantastic result for Townsville and North Queensland."

Along with the outdoor and indoor sports stadiums, the drawings show extensive space for parking, administration space, a bus terminal and a range of facilities to be shared by the national clubs.

(Click link to read the rest of the article)

·
Optimist
7,268 Posts
Looks great! One thing I've always wondered though, why can't it have underground parking? That parking lot is nearly as big as the city centre!

·
21,989 Posts
The parking should be at suburban hubs with a bus shuttle service. The traffic is going to be chaos on game day and it will be a desolate hot expanse on non game days. Suncorp Stadium as an example had no parking available for spectators.

·
Optimist
7,268 Posts
^$$$ cost to do that would be allot.
Yeah I know, but if it was underground they would be able to build on top, which they could make money off, which could pay for the underground parking and then some........( I know it won't happen, just dreaming :) )

·
Registered
571 Posts
Underground parking sounds like a silly idea to me. The water can get quite high there, that's just introducing an unnecessary complexity.

An ideal but unlikely scenario would be the use of the car parking for both city workers and for the stadium. For the most part they will not coincide, but I guess an occasional weekday event will occur.

TBH I think the whole thing is a bit of a pipe dream, but some surprising stuff happens when people are desperate for power.

·
6,400 Posts
mmmm yummy look at all that carpark welcome to america.
Yeh the barren expanse of car parking does look pretty shit, but what else would you expect in Townsville :(

(Dodgers Stadium in LA)

Otherwise I quite like this plan, but as far as I'm aware there are still no plans for QR to relocate their rail yards in the foreseeable future. That is a significant infrastructure project that has to be committed to and built before the land will be available for a stadium and entertainment centre. So at the moment this can't be anything other then a long term vision.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
^^ At least if they push for the Southbank site, then the need for parking for the Stadium and convention centre would result in a carpark tower rather than acre's of black tar, because of the Southbank development itself..

Developer joins talks on city super stadium

JESSICA JOHNSTON | February 29th, 2012

THE bid for a super-stadium in Townsville city is gaining momentum after leading developers asked for their prime creek-front site to be considered for the complex.

The 17ha southern rail land adjacent to Ross Creek and Reid Park on Saunders St is one of three sites being considered for the project.

Devine and Leighton Properties earmarked the land, which was purchased from QR for $25 million in 2008, for a $1.2 billion mixed residential and commercial hub dubbed Southbank Townsville.

Devine development manager Terry Conway said the company was interested to see whether the super-stadium could be integrated into their development.

"We're obviously interested in the whole stadium and convention centre idea," he said.

"If those facilities suit our site, we are more than happy to talk about those options.

"We believe the new development for Townsville is a great idea and, wherever it goes, we support it.

"The reclamation of the central city precinct is a very significant step forward for Townsville and there is the opportunity to make a real statement."

Dean Park and the QR National site are also being considered.

Cowboys chairman Laurence Lancini favoured Southbank.

"We acknowledge the issues with the QR national site. We have explored options for other sites and we've met with Devine with regards to their location," he said.

"It is correctly located and is vacant and the option's there for us to further develop the concept and work with the necessary parties to try to seek support."

Townsville Crocodiles CEO Ian Smythe said the Devine push was a vote of confidence in the project.

"We're really buoyed by their interest," he said.

"When you have a developer of their calibre interested in looking at the proposal, it adds some merit to the project.

"That whole area there is deserved of a great development. I think the stadium the Cowboys and Crocs have put forward fits that bill and we've got the owner on side and willing to talk to us."

Mr Smythe said having a stadium with a residential and commercial hub would benefit the stadium and the proponents of the development.

"It has to be economically viable so the addition of commercial, retail and residential not only adds to the viability of the development but also adds to the viability for events," he said.

Townsville Enterprise boss David Kippin said incorporating private investors would be crucial.

He said building a convention centre first was a "clear priority", with the view to adding a stadium "some time down the track".

A feasibility study into the centre will start on March 8, with applications from six firms invited to bid on the study due today.

It will examine potential sites and analyse the social and economic impacts on a new centre with a focus on revitalising the CBD.

The continued use of the existing convention centre will be balanced against the projected demand for sporting, conference, exhibition and entertainment facilities.

A draft of the study is due on May 1, with the final report on June 8.​

41 - 60 of 501 Posts