SkyscraperCity banner

341 - 360 of 1043 Posts

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
it could.. but the reality is that the space above the station wasnt part of the site.. so unless they do a complete makeover of the plans its not going to happen

·
New Urbanist
5,476 Posts
They may not build over the station any time soon but Suncorp want to completely overhaul it before they move in:

"Stage1 will also include a major upgrade to the SouthBank Rail Station, including new station facilities, ticket office, sheltered passenger waiting areas and retail concourse"

Also, anyone notice in the fly-through video that there are internal glass lifts in the atrium like 1 Bligh Street! :p

·
Registered
16,127 Posts
^^ I agree! South Bank is probably the best connection between the Airport –GC / Ferny Grove – Beenleigh lines and the SE Busway. I don't think a connection between the two is really necessary (could be hard to make one work due to the train station's layout) but they should definitely acknowledge the other's existence better. I look forward to seeing what Suncorp are wanting. It could be a big PR win, privately funding an upgrade of a public use facility, even if it's being done for their own benefit.

South Bank Station isn't that bad - it was South Brisbane that was terrible - and they're re-doing that
South Brisbane wasn't terrible, far from it. Considering its age, it was in pretty good condition and it's the only inner city station that wasn't hidden (Roma St) or bastardised in the 80s (Central). Ok, the forecourt left a lot to be desired, the interior areas were becoming more than a little run down (it is a busy station after all) and the pink was very 1980s, but we have a good condition station building, the original awning structures over the platforms and the rare wrought iron QR station furniture.

·
23,603 Posts
They may not build over the station any time soon but Suncorp want to completely overhaul it before they move in:

"Stage1 will also include a major upgrade to the SouthBank Rail Station, including new station facilities, ticket office, sheltered passenger waiting areas and retail concourse"
The upgrade to the station was always going to happen. Suncorp really had nothing to do with it. The construction was going to impact upon the station so they needed to provide new facilities to substitute. You may as well do it correctly.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
^^ I agree! South Bank is probably the best connection between the Airport –GC / Ferny Grove – Beenleigh lines and the SE Busway. I don't think a connection between the two is really necessary (could be hard to make one work due to the train station's layout) but they should definitely acknowledge the other's existence better. I look forward to seeing what Suncorp are wanting. It could be a big PR win, privately funding an upgrade of a public use facility, even if it's being done for their own benefit.
I would think Roma Street is a far better connection between rail and busway - and both the 88 and 111 run through to South Bank anyway, so if anywhere, they should announce passengers transfering onto the northern and southern busways to change at Roma Street, and passengers for the Eastern busway at Park Road.

·
Registered
16,127 Posts
^^ The issue there is only a handful of routes on the SE Busway continue as far as Roma St like the 111 as you said (the 88 actually runs express between KGS and Buranda). It misses out the routes that continue to Springwood and Loganholme, and it misses the routes that service the southern suburbs eg. Sunnybank and Browns Plains. I think Roma St is better advertised as the interchange for the Northern Busway, South Bank for the SE Busway and Park Road (or Buranda for the Cleveland Line) for the Eastern Busway. It makes more sense IMO.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Fyfoto Site Update | Southpoint | Mid December 2011 | Site preperations/Hoardings

·
Registered
13 Posts
I hear that the Anthony John Group are having serious trouble finding funding for this project and as a result Suncorp may have to go back to 480 Queen Street. Anyone out there know if rumour has any truth to it??

·
New Urbanist
5,476 Posts
UAE eyes $360m interest in Brisbane's South Bank project
BY: BRIDGET CARTER From: The Australian April 19, 2012 12:00AM

THE Abu Dhabi Investment Authority is believed to be in talks to fund and subsequently buy the Anthony John Group's $360 million office project at Brisbane's South Bank.

The development will house Suncorp's staff.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...uth-bank-project/story-fn9656lz-1226332062284

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
UAE eyes $360m interest in Brisbane's South Bank project
BY: BRIDGET CARTER From: The Australian April 19, 2012 12:00AM

THE Abu Dhabi Investment Authority is believed to be in talks to fund and subsequently buy the Anthony John Group's $360 million office project at Brisbane's South Bank.

The development will house Suncorp's staff.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...uth-bank-project/story-fn9656lz-1226332062284

Great news,Abu Dhabi Investment Authrithy is the World's largest investments fund with about 800 billion Dollar, they have the best managers who know where to invest their money,

·
New Citrus Fresh scent
215 Posts
It's dead. Suncorp staff were told that the developer cannot get funding, so Suncorp have withdrawn from the deal. No indication of what plan B is but maybe Grocon will be back in the running?

·
23,603 Posts
I kind of expected it, however in another way I am shocked! If you can't get financing with such a large pre-commitment, then when can you?

341 - 360 of 1043 Posts