Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 300 Posts

·
Registered
14,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd start a new thread.

Bates Smart has won an invited design competition for a new residential tower, at Sydney Olympic Park. This will be the third residential tower undertaken by the practice at Olympic Park. The 34 storey tower contains 378 apartments and a series of dramatic vertical communal sky gardens providing environmental benefits.

The design concept for the tower creates a new ‘vertical community’ and achieves high levels of environmental performance with exceptional residential amenity. It is simultaneously the edge condition, entry marker and gateway on a site where the Olympic Park meets Bicentennial Park and where city meets nature.

Project Director Philip Vivian explains the design approach:
"The design response is a unique triangular shaped tower that is a slender entry marker to Olympic Park, while also responding to its pivotal location. The soft corners reflect the elliptical towers further along Australia Avenue, while vertical gardens continue the landscape of Bicentennial Parklands into the third dimension."

Environmentally the design cleans, filters and cools air to apartments and common areas, provides cross ventilation to apartments and common areas, shades apartments in summer while admitting winter sunlight. This building will be the next generation of environmental apartment living at Olympic Park.

- See more at: http://journal.batessmart.com.au/#sthash.98N5rBpo.dpuf

466_07-07-2014_8449 by Sky_Is_The_Limit1, on Flickr

466_07-07-2014_8807 by Sky_Is_The_Limit1, on Flickr

466_07-07-2014_3465 by Sky_Is_The_Limit1, on Flickr

This is it - Opal Tower

This project could probably go in the Australia Towers thread or does it need its own thread?

http://opaltower.com.au/

Subtle marketing of Opal Tower

July 2 -Prop Observer

A “soon to be unearthed” 30 storey plus residential tower, bringing 370 apartments to Sydney Olympic Park, is being subtly marketed through Colliers International.

The Opal Tower, that will have 360 degree views, and access to transport, restaurants, cafes, shopping, sports, entertainment and parklands is undergoing a slick expressions of interests campaign that may see a successful result.

Offering ‘luxury apartments’ and a ‘rare opportunity’, it will bring one, two and three bedroom apartments for sale, and little more is being provided.

Their expression of interest form suggests that bottom of the range will be $550,000 apartments, and it appears they have done some marketing overseas – with interested parties able to select from a number of Australian portals as well as the Chinese Herald, Chinese Property Weekly, Domain Chinese, Indo Media and Indo Post as where they heard about the properties.

The project will be developed by Ecove, who is also behind a number of other Olympic Park developments, including Australia Towers – the first residential development in the area, with 800 apartments across four towers.

It’s unclear whether this will be one of those towers, although it’s likely this is the fourth of the Australia Towers, with design from Bates Smart.

Their marketing has seen Opal Tower not yet put onto their official developer website.

http://www.propertyobserver.com.au/finding/residential-investment/new-developments/32955-subtle-marketing-but-opal-tower-not-expected-to-see-bad-luck.html

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
yes SKY needs its own thread

originally posted by Squire ....

Opal tower is site 68, Australia towers is site 3

Site 53 could be another 30 level plus project

News from March 2014..
"Earlier this month, SOPA signalled its intention to off-load another 12,700-square-metre slab called Site 53 on the corner of Figtree Drive and Australia Avenue.
The group issued a requests for detailed proposals in early March. The site has the potential for 400 apartments."

·
Registered
129 Posts
I like the chosen design, despite its obviously derivative elements. It fits well with the extensive surrounding greenery, with the site situated at the end of the main axis of Bicentennial park. A question though, why are the trees shown in the cross-sectional view seemingly absent in the render?

Of course, the Architectus design is wonderfully sleek. I would love for it to be built in the CBD, or given its height, Parramatta or Green Square.

·
Registered
77,344 Posts
wow, great height, just higher then the australia towers. best design

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Very nice design and good to see another tallest for Olympic Park. It would have been nice to have some activation at street level though. I suppose the way it's been set back from the street up those stairs, it doesn't lend itself to that.

Love those floor plans.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
I just wonder what they want to do with the public space surrounding the building. It looks like they want some sort of town square, but where are the facilities that will attract people.

·
Registered
20,000 Posts
I guess it's not meant to attract visitors so much as provide a pleasant environment for the residents and other locals to enjoy.
You can only expect 'street activation' & 'vibrant streets' in shopping centres & café strips, not in essentially residential streets as most people tend to go to work, to uni/school or shopping during the day.

Architects often depict streets alive with people which is largely just to 'humanise' their designs but isn't real.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Yeah, the render shows way too many people wandering around but in reality it will be dead quiet most of the time. The site is too isolated.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The site sits on top of a major entrance to Bicentennial Park. All pedestrians from the rest of Olympic Park, or from the train station, will walk through here. You may notice that a new pedestrian underpass for the railway has been included, which has a direct path through the site to the overbridge to the park. The site is also an important junction for the many cycleways crossing Olympic Park. Considering it has stood as a open public space since 2000, I think the motivation was to preserve as much of it as possible for public use.

I suppose street activation depends on context. Ultimately, the site sits at the very corner of the potentially redevelopable area of Olympic Park, and I am happy for it to be essentially an extension of Bicentennial Park.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I suppose street activation depends on context. Ultimately, the site sits at the very corner of the potentially redevelopable area of Olympic Park, and I am happy for it to be essentially an extension of Bicentennial Park.
I must admit i'm not the biggest fan of 'towers in a park' type developments, for me they're reminicent of public housing developments around the world in the 1960s, but being the gateway between the main area of Olympic Park and the Bicentennial parklands, the area surrounding it might see some level of pedestrian activity.

·
Registered
77,344 Posts
ive always loved the towers in open spqce concept. reminsicent of frank loyyd whright.
i like the idea of its isolation. this gives the tower its own identity and community.
you will notice child care centres are now part of large apartment towers! this is happenign with 505G and others. because you all of a sudden have 1000 people that live in the tower. alot of families and require child minding.makes it alot easier being in the bldg or next door

·
40,696 Posts
I don't know how many child care centres are in that area or if any of the firms nearby provide child minding for their employees, but it is a win win for the community, whether you live in the area or work there.

There never seems to be enough child care centres to cater for demand.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I guess it's not meant to attract visitors so much as provide a pleasant environment for the residents and other locals to enjoy.
You can only expect 'street activation' & 'vibrant streets' in shopping centres & café strips, not in essentially residential streets as most people tend to go to work, to uni/school or shopping during the day.

Architects often depict streets alive with people which is largely just to 'humanise' their designs but isn't real.
I suppose the question begs to be raised - where are Olympic Park's shopping and cafe strips? I'm aware of the major plans for the entire precinct, but it certainly couldn't hurt in the mean time to see some street activation for the residents and workers who reside here. Towers in isolation are in my opinion wasted opportunities. I agree with you in that the location and purpose of this building may not be appropriate in this case. When a community is based around several freeways and 6 lane roads catering for one-off sporting events, it is hard to generate any quality of street life. The result is people drive elsewhere to other attractive areas for their retail or cafe fix. It's a shame given the amount of land available that something hasn't been done in the way of density along the Olympic Boulevard. Rows of shops and lower rise apartments could line the length of the street. With the extent of residential development planned along here it'd be refreshing to see vibrant spaces at ground level where people want to linger by foot.

I am getting awfully off-topic - this a really exciting design and a lovely addition to this growing skyline :)

·
Registered
20,000 Posts
But it is relevant. I also wondered where the shops & cafés are but hoped someone would lob in with the info. I assumed there were some facilities, cafés at least, in & around the railway station & in some of the office complexes, but as the population of OlyPark grows they will need more than a few cafés - and the shops at Newington are a bit of a stretch away.
Wondered the same about Wentworth Point.
Or is it a matter of 'in the fullness of time'?

·
40,696 Posts
And this is were the planning of the area could be the weakness; that they have not adequately considered providing adequate shops, services and community facilities.
I think too they will need to consider having a school in the area as the suburb continues to grow. The kids will have to travel considerable distances just to attend a "local" school. That is not easy when you have a five or six year old child.

1 - 20 of 300 Posts