SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Jakes1
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. So I recently came back from a month trip to the US. I spent a bit more than a week in NYC (also spent time in Washinton, Atlanta, Cincinatti and Dayton).

New York is my favorite. I decided to stay in Harlem - because I felt that this would give me a better indication concerning the realities of NY. So here is the thing. I LOVE NY. It is safe. It is vibrant. There is just so much happening all at once!

However, you will see my pictures. NY is not clean. Actually, some parts are rather disgusting. They have street traders everywhere - yes, even in 5th ave. The street traders are for the most part regulated. This has ups and downs. Ups - you can find a relatively decent hot dog on every corner. Downs? They all taste the same. Maybe the reason I love NY is because it is real. No frills. No fakery. This is a tough city, and it shows. But the parks are beautifully maintained, the streets are alive and you can walk anywhere without being too concerned about your own safety.

As you can see - as vibrant as the city is, it is relatively easy to post selective pictures that show only the bad part! This is something we in Durban and Johannesburg know all too well!

Walking in Harlem. This area is gentrifying, but the current downturn hit hard. Many luxury condos were just boarded up again, and many people lost their houses.

125th Street - yip, quite disgusting

A church on Adam Clayton Powell and 116th. I attended the sunday morning. AWESOME!

Mosaics are used to liven up dreary areas

We seem to be invading

When you have masses of people living in a particular area, you can expect garbage to heap up like this. I am surprized that Manhattan has not come up with more concrete solutions. Heaps of garbage can be seen in almost all areas - although I have a feeling that according to town regulations this is only cardboard and other matter - because food would smell horrible (which it did not - even in 30 degree heat). This picture was taken in the rather gentrified Chelsey - boardering Soho and Tribeca.

·
Jakes1
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We can move this thread to the shebeen as well (I only thought about this later on). Basically the idea is to show that some cities are complex - you cannot capture the real feel on film. NY is amazing, however, I am sure I can start a death of NY blog with all my pics.

·
Registered
449 Posts
cool that you check out the real part of the city. i lived in NYC a few yrs ago, downtown in maiden lane. i never went that far uptown, bit rough... brooklyn and soho was my habitat, super cool city, rent is just a killer!
nice one

·
Jakes1
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The city has a lot of graffiti, some of it rather amazing! this is on the border of Chinatown and Nolita/Noho

Trump's new monstrocity in Soho. New Yorkers hate it.

SA's Carol Boyes in Soho

Lots of activity on the streets in summer - this was taken in Nolita.

Times Square - it is not a square. It is filled with tourists. Very cool too see, but not a place I really liked, or wanted to spend time in. Tourists are irritating.

·
Registered
449 Posts
weak that they allowed that to be built in soho - lame! street art in nyc and the subway is very cool.

·
South Straddie QLD
10,893 Posts
was there last week and stayed on washington Sq (where the crazy chess guys play) and was in the village everynight. Agree amazing city with such a braod spectrum of things from out of this world stores on 5th to the scruffy village.

Nice thread jakes

·
23,318 Posts
Agreed...it's so easy to basically brainwash people into believing a place is filled with poor people or is filled with rich people using media. Sadly we fall victim to the former quite often. Nice thread :)

·
Jakes1
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
was there last week and stayed on washington Sq (where the crazy chess guys play) and was in the village everynight. Agree amazing city with such a braod spectrum of things from out of this world stores on 5th to the scruffy village.

Nice thread jakes
We were in NY at the same time! The last two nights I stayed with 2 mates of mine near Union Square - on 5th ave.

·
Jakes1
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
An awesome new park in the old Meatpacking district. This raised railwayline is not in use anymore. It is now the Higline Park. Amazing view of the city.

one of my fav buildings, the Flatiron, on 5th

These stalls really add some colour to the streets

Selling mango's - chinatown

ET would not want to phone home - Little Italy

Traders in 5th ave

Chinatown

The Empire - reflected

New building on Bleeker Street

The Guggenheim - a Frank Lloyd Wright masterpiece

·
South Straddie QLD
10,893 Posts
Jakes do you do either the ESB or Rock centre obs decks?

Did them both and was underwhenlmed by ESB and suprprised by Rock centre.

Notheing beat the old WTC I did in 95

·
Jakes1
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did 30 Rock. Did ESB in 2001 and 2003 - rather unimpressive. The Rock gave a great view of central park and midtown.

·
Banned
2,975 Posts
cool jakes......u like the new eddie murphy....u didnt go stay in manhanttan...u went str8 to the hood just like eddie did in coming to america when he went to queenz.....u went to harlem...to show the real part of new york life that there are messed up parts and their are beautiful parts, people selling goods on the street ....thats whats so unique about new york ...the #1 melting pot of the world.

·
Banned
642 Posts
I hate the word melting pot. I hate how america tries to turn everyting into one culture..I like canada's salad bowl much better as every culture still have their roots and do not merge into something their not..

·
Banned
2,975 Posts
so does new york...what u talking about...everybody have their own culture...just like jamaica heights, chinatown, lil italy , or african city.......melting pot is just a word to sum up the better diversity new york has over any city in the world.

·
Banned
642 Posts
Naw a melting pot means to throw all the different cultures that come to america into one giant pot and mix it up to create an american. In america their is only one culture an american.. A salad bowl is very different it means we have a huge bowl full of different cultures but we don't mix it..Cause you can't turn a diverse salad full of different things to create one thing. So every culture in a salad bowl is still alive but in a melting pot it is dead..And New York is not the most diverse city in the world, Miami has the most foreign born population in North america second is Toronto. In Toronto we celebrate our cultures by having big festivals every month..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts