SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ciao Italianos!

My Italian is not very good-I am Brazilian, my great grand parents are from Napoli- so I will write in English so we can all understand eachother!

I was wondering if anybody had pictures of the city Ivrea near Torino. I would love to see what that city looks like, but with the search feature disabled from this website I have no way of finding any on my own.

If any of you have some pictures of that city and the surrounding area you could show me that would be great!!

Muito Obrigado :)

Your friend from Brasil!

·
FOLLIA VIVERE COME SE...
6,374 Posts
Ivrea is situated in North-West Italy's Piedmont Region (Piemonte) , 'capital' of a small area called "Canavese". This area is particularly interesting from a geographical and geological point of view: it is very well known for its lakes, for the presence of a natural park, called Parco del Gran Paradiso - the first Italian national park, created in 1922 - and, above all, for a morainic hill, called "La Serra", 25 kilometres long, created by the presence of a glacier in the past: with its skyline(third photo) - a long straight line - it marks the horizon and the landscape.

founded by the Romans 100 BC (named 'Eporedia'),last century, had become a leading industrial centre with 'Olivetti' growth, now, after Italy's "IT" crisis, this charming town is looking for a new future...promising sectors now appear to be services and research.

Best event in Ivrea is the 'orange battle':

GranParadiso

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fantastic photos! Great job mi3max

I never imagined that GranParadiso looked like that...it looks like a picture from Alaska!

The city itself looks very charming. The arcetecture is made better by the surrounding scenery. I love the mountains/lakes/rivers combination.

That bridge in the second picture, is that the one built by the Romans some 2.000 years ago? Simply remarkable it is still around today, with renovations of course! And that castle is outstanding! It must be great to be able to spot such a historical building anytime of the day as you are walking along the streets.

I must make it there on my next trip to Italy...maybe attend that orange throwing festival :)

If you have anymore pictures they would be great!

·
Italian utent
1,706 Posts
Aviador_BH said:
.............. That bridge in the second picture, is that the one built by the Romans some 2.000 years ago?................
Yes, of course.

Stands in the centre of a great morainic amphitheatre. The historical centre is sheltered on one of the hills on the left bank of the Dora Baltea. Like Eporedia, it was founded by the Romans in 100 B.C. and was of considerable importance in medieval times.

Amongst sites of interest in the town is the Cathedral (Duomo) in the Piazza Duomo. It was re-built in the 10th-century and dramatically altered towards the middle of the 17th-century. The tiburio and the two semi-circular arched bell towers date back to the original building. Oil paintings by Defendente Ferrari and an altar piece by Claudio Francesco Beauomont are housed inside the building. Frescos from the 12th and 13th-centuries can be seen in the Roman crypt. Also in the Piazza Duomo is the S. Nicola da Tolentino church built between 1605 and 1627. Inside are frescos from 1685, wooden engraved stalls and a table made by Defendente Ferrari.

From the piazza, go down via Varmondo Arborio towards the Seminario designed by Filippo Juvarra in 1715-46. Under the loggia in the internal courtyard there is a floor mosaic which is part of the original cathedral building.

The Castello delle quattro torri is right behind the Cathedral. It is a square brick building with cylindrical angular towers, built between 1358
and 1395.

In amongst the Olivetti plants, is the S. Bernardino church built in 1455 that is attached to a convent. It contains a valuable collection of 16th-century frescos by Giovanni Martino Spanzotti that represent the life of Jesus. Just a little outside the town are the remains of a Roman amphitheatre.

S. Bernardino church

1 - 5 of 5 Posts