Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Uptown Bound
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was browsing through some other forum sites and came across this developer in Charlotte who has some really awesome infill and historic preservation projects. Conformity Corporation has ongoing developments in the Plaza-Midwood, Elizabeth, NoDa, and South End areas of Charlotte. I just thought I'd share some examples of their projects so we can all get some inspiration from their high-quality developments. This goes to show that there actually are some developers in Charlotte who save historic structures for future use and who have cutting-edge urban design.

The Rutzler is one of their most noted developments. It was built in 1928, and Conformity renovated it into 18 condo units. This is one of many projects that Conformity used tax credits on.

The Carolina School Supply building off of Morehead Street was built in 1927 and Conformity renovated it for office space. Original hardwoods are in the building, as well as the original freight elevator.

One of their new developments is The Williamson, which is located off of 7th Street in Elizabeth. It won an AIA Merit Award and sums up the character of the neighborhood.

Elizabeth Village, one of Conformity's first projects, is also one of Charlotte's densest developments. Elizabeth Village includes both new and preserved housing.

You should also check out Conformity's new projects, Steelhaus and Southborough.
Steelhaus site: www.thesteelhaus.com
Southborough site: www.liveinsouthborough.com

Steelhaus is a sleek, modern structure comprising of both residential and commercial units. It's being built in Plaza-Midwood and is attracting many creative professionals who want to live closer to Uptown. Steelhaus has a very European design and features aluminum paneling on the exterior. Construction should be completed by late 2007.

Southborough is their project that is wrapping around the new Lowe's in South End. It features flats that will be embedded in the Lowe's parking deck and will shield the deck from the street. Along Magnolia Avenue, Dilworth-esque townhomes will line the street. Also, a mixed-use office and retail building will be constructed at South and Magnolia.

www.conformitycorp.com

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
I have to say that The Rutzler won my heart. Very nice renovation :eek:kay: That is exactly the type of buildings we should be demanding, particularly in the older neighborhoods that have maintained their historic character.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Thank you for posting this. It's important that we know who's doing right (and wrong), and that we reward them with as much recognition as possible. Hopefully this will encourage the less-responsible developers (*ahem*Beazer*ahem*) to raise their standards.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
that school supply building's cool. nice to see it saved. even nicer to see a developer concerned with historic preservation and rehab in charlotte.

-

·
McSAME and FAILIN
1,346 Posts
To correct A comment about southborough, The homes will not shield lowes' parking deck from the street, it will shield the lowes itself. The parking for the lowes is on top of the lowes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts