SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Old Fart
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Connecticut city#1 Norwich

Thought I'd do a series on some cities in New England. This is the first one. These pics are a year and 1/2 old, and please forgive the quality. I just want to show a bit of the cities not often seen.

Norwich, CT (pop ~ 35,000)

Hope you enjoyed. :)

·
Old Fart
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 777. It seemed about half ot the CT cities I visited were in fairly rough shape, at least downtown-wise.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Which is strange because usually when one thinks of CT they think of rich snobs in mansions. You wouldn't expect urban decay in CT.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I too am surprised. I thought CT was better off than what these pictures would seem to indicate? I'm not saying it says the whole state is bad off, which I'm sure it isn't. Just seems amiss...

·
Old Fart
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I agree about the grit in several of the CT cities, kind of surprising. But the burbs and rural areas were quite well off from what I saw. And not all the cities (or even all of the grit cities) were totally destroyed.

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
i always had the impression that CT was actually the most run down of the new engfland states. when i move to rhode island in july, i will have to explore CT and see for myself.

good job at rep'n the small NE cities, EX-I.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
oh.... you gots the whole "can't go back only forward" thing?

·
Old Fart
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jmancuso said:
i always had the impression that CT was actually the most run down of the new engfland states. when i move to rhode island in july, i will have to explore CT and see for myself.

good job at rep'n the small NE cities, EX-I.

Thanks jman, there's more to come. :)

·
Premium Member
30,248 Posts
To explain to all of you who didn't expect CT is be as gritty as expected. This is the real Connecticut, not that rich, yuppie-filled area known as Fairfield County.

Connecticut is different than the rest of New England. There is no city that dominates the state. Mass has Boston, RI has Providence, NH has Manchester, VT has Burlington, and ME has Portland. We have...no dominance. Instead, we have a bunch of small cities scattered through the state, and New York as the big brother to the west.

Connecticut is an Industrial state. Areas like New Britain, New London, Bristol, Watebury, Norwich, and Bridgeport were real industrial back in the day. But like in other areas, it declined. So we have a lot of Rust Belt areas. And we have crime...oh yes we do...Hartford, New Haven, and Bridgeport are probably the most dangerous cities in New England.

Areas like Greenwich, Stamford (which also has areas that are sketchy), Avon, and Darien are NOT the real CT. The real CT is more dangerous inner-city, rich suburbs, and rural exurbs. Connecticut is a rich state, but a state with some real problems with the gap between rich and poor.

And that's the end of this long post!!

Ex-Ithacan, which city are you going to next?

·
Old Fart
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rotten777 said:
Ex-Ithacan, which city are you going to next?

I was in NE a year and 1/2 ago. Covered many of the smaller cities. I think there's about 5 or 6 more cities in Connecticut to do. :)

·
Jersey FRESH
460 Posts
These pics show that there are TWO Connecticuts--the urban, decaying, impoverished CT and the exurban/rural, monied, landed, WASPy CT

1 - 16 of 16 Posts