SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 644 Posts

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Continuing YET MORE news emerging from the WYCA website (!) there are further details of the improvements to the area outside the Corn Exchange and bus station, to Lower Briggate and to Meadow Lane. These blurry images are the only ones I can find so far.

There are public consultations on these on Monday 14th between 3.30pm and 7.30pm at the Corn Exchange, 1am to 1pm on Tuesday 22nd at the Bus station and 3pm to 6pm on Thursday 24th again at the bus station.

I realistically don't know of any city in the UK or even Europe/the US that is investing this much into pedestrian and public realm improvements. Fair play to them eking as much as they can out of the trolleybus debacle.

·
Registered
31,473 Posts
Great news all round - all of these areas will benefit hugely from pedestrianisation. We've talked about improved public space outside the Corn Exchange for years, so this is really welcome. Difficult to tell from the image, but it looks like both parts of Call Lane are to be pedestrianised?

Oh, and Lower Briggate's paving should be rainbow bricks.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Great to see the plans for the Corn Exchange. Was only talking about the untapped potential of that area last weekend when me and my other half were in Covent Garden. It’s so isolated currently - this could make a big difference from a footfall perspective particularly if it also improves and better connects the area towards the market side

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Great to see the plans for the Corn Exchange. Was only talking about the untapped potential of that area last weekend when me and my other half were in Covent Garden. It’s so isolated currently - this could make a big difference from a footfall perspective particularly if it also improves and better connects the area towards the market side
will be excellent once it's all linked up to Kirkgate and the White Cloth Hall.

·
Registered
13,605 Posts
Just shown this to a guy in the office who is always really negative about Leeds to try and get some sort of positive reaction.

His reply "loads of space outside Corn Exchange for druggies & the homeless to hang about."

I presume he's a YEP reader, no pleasing some people!
Is he is a southerner by any chance? Or one of those locals that goes around with a face like a wet fart.

This is great news. Good to know that the good old 'powers that be' are finally cottoning on to the fact that making Leeds a pleasant place to spend time will attract people, jobs, tourism and investment.

The quality of the paving has to be right though. None of the rubbish that was put down on Briggate, which has practically worn completely away.

My bus is currently stopping at New Briggate due to the Headrow works and I can easily see how pedestrianising it would allow for pavement cafes and bars, provide a better setting for the Grand, create more footfall for St Johns church and provide better access for the Grand Arcade and Merrion Street. The multiplier effects for the street and surrounding area could be tremendous, as Trump would say.

·
Back home
4,236 Posts
Difficult to tell from the image, but it looks like both parts of Call Lane are to be pedestrianised?
It does state that Call Lane will be partly pedestrianised and also that Lower Briggate will be made two-way to allow more buses, so I assume that the southbound ones will be re-routed down Lower Briggate, making Call Lane free of traffic at that section.

·
Registered
31,473 Posts
I was suggesting that it looks like the northern part of Call Lane will also be pedestrianised - ie all of Call Lane will be pedestrianised, not just parts. Admittedly, we can only see one low-res image right now.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
It does state that Call Lane will be partly pedestrianised and also that Lower Briggate will be made two-way to allow more buses, so I assume that the southbound ones will be re-routed down Lower Briggate, making Call Lane free of traffic at that section.
yes, i've got a photo from the at the Corn Exchange in June 2018 that shows the pedestrianisation more clearly. will try to find it later :eek:kay:

·
Back home
4,236 Posts
I was suggesting that it looks like the northern part of Call Lane will also be pedestrianised - ie all of Call Lane will be pedestrianised, not just parts. Admittedly, we can only see one low-res image right now.
Ah, yes. Which implies altering eastbound bus routes through New Market Street and Kirkgate. Shouldn't be a problem. Pedestrianising around the Corn exchange would make such a huge difference. It actually looks like it would make a great event space.

1 - 20 of 644 Posts