Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Proud Victorian!
7,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/connex-asks-for-second-chance/2007/06/30/1182624239500.html

TROUBLED public transport operator Connex wants to run Melbourne's trains for another 11 years.

The company has already sought a 30-month contract extension which would leave it running Melbourne's trains until at least 2011.

But outgoing Connex chairman Bob Annells said the company would apply for a five- to seven-year contract, which could take the company's management of the train system to 2018.

This is despite Connex's being fined tens of millions of dollars because of late or cancelled trains, and public outrage at the state of the system.

Connex has been fined more than $62 million by the State Government since 2004, including a $10 million fine for the first three months of this year.

Mr Annells said Connex had applied to extend its contract because there were too many uncertainties in the public transport system to put the contract out for tender.

Those uncertainties included the inability to gauge the revenue impact of the new Myki smartcard ticketing system, a big jump in patronage, major disruptions caused by infrastructure upgrades, and the arrival of 10 new trains.

"The essential prerequisite for sensible tendering is to be tendering against a degree of certainty in the key elements that you are being asked to take risk on," he said. "We believe that's unlikely to occur for at least the 18-month extension under the current contract, and desirably perhaps even a little bit longer, a further 12 months."

He said the Government was well aware of the company's view.

The Government must decide by November if it will take up an optional 18-month extension to the Connex train contract that expires in November 2008. A 30-month extension is possible.

Connex is in the process of negotiating a three-year business plan with the Government over the operation of the train network.

The Government has yet to announce whether it will extend current public transport contracts, put the contracts out to tender, or resume public control of Melbourne's public transport system.

Louise Perry, spokeswoman for Public Transport Minister Lynne Kosky, said "the Government was yet to take final decisions on the future involvement of the private sector in the delivery of Victoria's train and tram services".

"Those decisions will be made over the next few months," she said. "Government decisions about the future operation of the train and tram systems will be based on achieving the best possible services at the best value for money for each system."

Daniel Bowen from the Public Transport Users Association said the Government should put out a tender for the city's train contract as soon as the current deal expired. He said a new contract could then be negotiated with the winning bidder, which would give the Government more control over the train system.

Opposition transport spokesman Terry Mulder said Connex's contract should be extended until present uncertainties were overcome. He said an extension would be reasonable.

Dennis Cliche, chief executive of Yarra Trams, said the next tram contract should be renegotiated and did not need to go out for tender or have the current contract extended.

He said a new 10-15-year contract could be negotiated. "Our preference would be a renegotiation (and) we would like that to be longer rather than shorter" term, he said.

^^ Looks like at least another three years of watching Melbourne's train network being run by a bunch of circus freaks!

·
Banned
45 Posts
Passengers should set their trains on fire
like they did in Argentina when people got upset about constant delayes and cancellations :lol:

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
The Government will extend the contract.

BTW Why isn't this in the Transportation section for all the "transport gunzels" to see that don't visit this section?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
May as well give connex an ambulance contract while they are at it.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^

If the government does give it to CONnex again. It sends a very clear signal to all public transport user's in Melbourne that the Victorian government is not at all serious about climate change and getting people off the roads. If you want to get to work on time, or anywhere near on time, drive your bloody self. The government makes more money out of it, through petrol taxes, speed camera fines, etc.. It is better for state coffers for everyone to drive themselves.

In the last 4 years I reckon I could name on one hand the times that a Connex train or Vline for that matter actually ran on time. Maybe when I am not around, the trains actually function as they should.

Just wish there was a alternative government to vote for other than the LABORAL duopoly we currently have who are both satisfied with this situation.

·
Lurker
3,805 Posts
How about the government just invest in infrastructure, because with a network at capacity, services aren't going to get any better no matter who operates it.

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Not owning a car, I might have a different perspective.

I use Public transport all the time: the difference is, I know what I'm doing. Most trains arrive on time: if they don't there's another one in a few minutes.

Yes ... there are emergencies. I remember when the overhead wires came down at South Kensington, & I remember when Coode Island caught on fire. I remember when the streets of the CBD were full of stationary trams. And I remember the CEO of MTA creeping, stoney-faced, into the office after that incident.

The real issue is infrastructure development: not who operates it.

·
Registered Abuser
2,904 Posts
Yes we've got to make sure the government doesn't dodge the bullet on this. They've got quite a nice little scapegoat in Connex who they can blame if anything goes wrong. Why wouldn't they want to keep them around?

·
Banned
45 Posts
I reckon it was a big mistake not to build a subway system in Melbourne
Look at Paris in France, they build their subway system in the early 1900s and it's still a beauty, it works perfectly well and it takes to you places in very short periods of time

·
Insane Gunzel
1,296 Posts
Connex has been fined more than $62 million by the State Government since 2004, including a $10 million fine for the first three months of this year.
While they may be gathering performance penalties of $20 million a year, their contract is worth over $350 million a year............

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
We need to organize a massive anti-Connex rally to put a clear message through to Bracks.

If they still do not listen, burn baby burn!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
We need to organize a massive anti-Connex rally to put a clear message through to Bracks.

If they still do not listen, burn baby burn!
Its alright to want to get rid of Connex but what are the alternatives?
Back to the govt running the bloody railways - remember the disaster they were when they were under govt control a few years back? So before whingeing ( which is very easy to do) come up with some viable solutions.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Its alright to want to get rid of Connex but what are the alternatives?
Back to the govt running the bloody railways - remember the disaster they were when they were under govt control a few years back? So before whingeing ( which is very easy to do) come up with some viable solutions.
Why couldn't the government run it exactly? There are plenty of government run businesses and services which function quite well - Vicroads, Vicurban, Melbourne Water, DOI, etc - and there are plenty of successful overseas models on which to base it in terms of structure.

Government run bodies of all sorts were badly run and inefficient 20 years ago, but that's not the case today.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Get rid of Connex and Yarra Trams...any profits they make leave the system instead of reinvesting. There is no accountablility for any monopoly especially PT operators if not run by government. Many people don't have an alternative and can't boycott their services. It's different to that of phone and power operators (at least in Victoria).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts