Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Assuming you meant consolidating Miami-Dade county -

Pros:
Instantly crack the US top 5 cities last, #4.
Lose status as countries poorest/most violent city.
Save money on essential services

Cons:
Loss of identity for smaller areas.
Loss of control to maintain that identity.
More power in the hands of crooked county politicians.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Would save a bunch of money as it would eliminate the duplication of services/positions. One big police department is a whole lot cheaper than 30 smalls ones.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
What do u mean? Like "annexing" all the municipalities in the county to become the "City of Miami"?
Yes,it is analogous to what the city of Jacksonville,Fla. government has.There are no duplicity of taxes(county and city) and the mayor has the veto power.There would not be independent municipalities.

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
Assuming you meant consolidating Miami-Dade county -

Pros:
Instantly crack the US top 5 cities last, #4.
Lose status as countries poorest/most violent city.
Save money on essential services

Cons:
Loss of identity for smaller areas.
Loss of control to maintain that identity.
More power in the hands of crooked county politicians.
I don't know why the population of the city is a big deal to some folks. Nobody thinks of Atlanta or Minneapolis as small cities, yet they both also have relatively small boundaries that belie the size of their Metro areas. It's inconsequential, imo.

I can see a few potential benefits to an idea like this from a financial aspect but can you imagine the reaction of folks in places like the Gables, Pinecrest or Aventura if they were told they were gonna be "folded" into a bigger city of Miami? That baby would NOT fly...:lol:

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
Why doesnt Miami just annex all of the unincorporated areas left like Kendall and all the other ones.
If you did that you would have a "patchwork" city that would have disconnected parts. I suppose it could be made to work but it might create some odd jurisdictional issues for fire, police, etc.

Offhand, I can't think of anyplace that has something similar even though some cities are oddly shaped.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Given a choice between petty waste through duplication vs the county government's legendary incompetence and uncanny ability to burn through more money than some entire countries do (can we all say, "Exercising the Airport Peoplemover?"), I'll take petty waste through duplication.

The County government is so bad, it actually makes the City of Miami look good. I can't even fathom Coral Gables and Miami Beach (two cities that generally DO do a good job) ever allowing themselves to be assimilated without a hard fight.

Offhand, I can't think of anyplace that has something similar even though some cities are oddly shaped.
The City of South Miami is a hardcore patchwork city. It's hugely expensive for South Miami, because the City's own employees can't tell the difference between properties that are in the city and properties that aren't, so they have to serve the whole area even though about 1/3 of it is actually unincorporated Dade. It happened because the City's government went bankrupt around 1920, and as a result the state legislature passed a law that allowed individual property owners to secede from the City.

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
The City of South Miami is a hardcore patchwork city. It's hugely expensive for South Miami, because the City's own employees can't tell the difference between properties that are in the city and properties that aren't, so they have to serve the whole area even though about 1/3 of it is actually unincorporated Dade. It happened because the City's government went bankrupt around 1920, and as a result the state legislature passed a law that allowed individual property owners to secede from the City.
Wow...that's interesting, canes. I guess I was thinking solely of large cities in regards to that "patchwork" idea.

What a mess that must be! Needless to say that in 1920 there were very few people in that area so the "secession" law probably wasn't a big deal. If only they had a crystal ball!:nuts:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I don't know why the population of the city is a big deal to some folks. Nobody thinks of Atlanta or Minneapolis as small cities, yet they both also have relatively small boundaries that belie the size of their Metro areas. It's inconsequential, imo.

It's civic boosterism and just a little bit of free publicity. You and I know it means nothing, but most people don't look at the lines on the map.

RE: the second point, the patchwork isn't the problem. The county already administrates all the unincorporated areas as if they were a city. Therein lies the problem. The county government is more powerful. It'd be more likely that the county takes over the City of Miami.

What is more likely in this age of state mandated budget cuts is that we'll see some of this duplication disappear, especially fire and police. Maybe some smaller municipalities deciding that they're better off under the county or start to "share" services. The big incorporation whirlwind seems to have calmed down for now, so I doubt we'll see many more new cities.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Well I'm sure all the municipalities in Miami-Dade have a city manager. They can make the entire county "Miami" the existing cities can become towns and their current mayoral seats can become a "Town Manager." Removing the duplication would also be a big time money saver. Yes some people may loose their jobs but with the savings we can improve the things that desperately need fixing; Transportation, Housing, Taxes. These things fixed or improved would spur job creation and improve quality of life in this paradise we sometimes neglect.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Just for the record here are all the municipalities in Dade:

Aventura
Bal Harbour
Bay Harbor Islands
Biscayne Park
Coral Gables
Cutler Bay
Doral
El Portal
Florida City
Golden Beach
Hialeah
Hialeah Gardens
Homestead
Indian Creek
Islandia
Key Biscayne
Medley
Miami
Miami Beach
Miami Gardens
Miami Lakes
Miami Shores
Miami Springs
North Bay Village
North Miami
North Miami Beach
Opa-locka
Palmetto Bay
Pinecrest
South Miami
Sunny Isles Beach
Surfside
Sweetwater
Virginia Gardens
West Miami

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I think it'd be to the overall benefit of the city of Miami and the county for Miami to annex the unincorporated areas under the city of Miami.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
Would save a bunch of money as it would eliminate the duplication of services/positions. One big police department is a whole lot cheaper than 30 smalls ones.
Might save a bunch of money for some, and would DEFINITELY COST a lot of money for some.
The City of Miami Beach has a stellar bond rating, clean streets, nice parks, and they have been rebating money to the taxpayers for the last couple of years. The City of Miami Beach doesn't want to contribute their tax revenues to improve the schools in Goulds, . It's a harsh reality.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
BECAUSE YOU WANT YOUR TAX DOLLARS TO STAY LOCAL

I WOULDNT WANT STREET SWEEPERS IN HIALEAH WHEN I GO THERE ONCE A YEAR IF THAT... I PREFER THEM CLEANING BRICKELL OR SOUTHBEACH PLACES I INHABIT

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
It's civic boosterism and just a little bit of free publicity. You and I know it means nothing, but most people don't look at the lines on the map.

RE: the second point, the patchwork isn't the problem. The county already administrates all the unincorporated areas as if they were a city. Therein lies the problem. The county government is more powerful. It'd be more likely that the county takes over the City of Miami.

What is more likely in this age of state mandated budget cuts is that we'll see some of this duplication disappear, especially fire and police. Maybe some smaller municipalities deciding that they're better off under the county or start to "share" services. The big incorporation whirlwind seems to have calmed down for now, so I doubt we'll see many more new cities.
Agreed. The well-to-do areas (like Pinecrest) that saw a benefit in incorporating have already done so...and there doesn't seem to be much impetus for more of it.

Also agreed that the desire to see Miami expand its political boundaries has more to do with worry about how the population numbers are perceived than anything else. I just think it's a silly concern. People know Miami is a big city (just as they know Atlanta and Boston are big cities) even if the numbers of the city ITSELF are relatively small.

·
Savior of Gondor
1,505 Posts
I dont know if this was ever discussed, but there was an effort to dissolve the city of Miami in the mid 90's. That would be like consolidating Miami into the county..or the reverse of what some want here.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts