SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2,042 Posts
To be honest. Every suburb surrounding the C-B-D is mostly residential, and the C-B-D is constrained geographically and through archaic planning laws. So I don't mind if big floor plate commercial towers are built in the C-B-D to satiate some present and future demand.

There is no shortage of room for resi's in a 2- 3km radius of the C-B-D.

· Registered
2,042 Posts
Where should we be looking to expand the CBD?
I think South is our best bet (Chippendale and Ultimo). The suburbs are a short walk from Central and there seems to be many blocks that could cater for tall highrise development. Pyrmont and William street to the Cross are other areas that could deal with more beefing up as well.

Overall it really is the lack of vision by council that restricts the expansion of the CBD. A perfect example being the terribly restrictive height limits around Chinatown.

· Registered
2,042 Posts
Well I like it the way it is now actually. The taller tower's so much taller than the Kent st towers it'll make the whole cluster look a bit jagged going from short to tall to short to tall again. Better to have it step up more naturally leading to the pinnacle that is Crown.
It's not like they can't knock down buildings along Kent and eventually replace them with taller buildings, as what are they going to overshadow now? Either the back of Barangaroo or the Western Distributor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts