SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 379 Posts

·
Registered
72,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please fix thread title finn. Tomorow photos of model and name.
DA lodged today. STAGE 1 - site of current 12story uni bilding across from St James church. Great views south over Hyde Pk.

·
Registered
72,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
definatley not it. maybe that an early proposal. that looks 50m?
this one is a stage1 block enevlope with angled roof
like this>>

·
Registered
14,370 Posts
here you go
Are Queens Square/St James Chruch protected by the sun access plane or is the sloped roof purely for Hyde Park?

I wouldn't want an east or west facing apartment. You are built in by buildings of a reasonable height all around and you wouldn't receive much sunlight.

That said, an injection of residential apartments will be good for this part of the city and will help support small businesses outside of office hours.

·
Registered
678 Posts
The building in the picture posted by PM (Post #4) is on the corner of King and Elizabeth. Cul's model shows that the proposed building would take the whole block between King and Phillip Streets facing King. That would include the site of the taller building behind the corner building shown in PM's post.

That short strip of Elizabeth was used to film Superman Returns in 2005, as shown at the following website...

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/movies/movies.php?topic=sr-making-movie (@ Earthquake Rescue section of page) ... but the author misidentifies the street as Castlereagh.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Architecturally, this is one of Sydney’s best brutalistic buildings, for me its such a shame we are losing this mid-century classic. It has amazing form and symmetry and a great presence. It does lack in street activity I guess.

It’s a shame that so much of the general population have zero appreciation for mid-century architecture or little understanding of it. One day we will regret knocking down all great examples we have. This is a major loss form me, although I know most of you dont agree.

·
Registered
72,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
details from DA
develope Galileo
stage1 architect-Kann Finch
space-11,000sqm approx
resi above commerical
height RL120m or 90m above Elizabeth st
no floors-26 above (+6 basements)
block envelope

·
Registered
18,895 Posts
DA lodged:

D/2015/750

148-160 King Street SYDNEY NSW 2000
Stage 1 - Building envelope for mixed use development comprising residential accommodation above lower level retail/commercial uses.
3-6-2015
$61,000,000.00

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Hoarding has been up for months. A couple of guys were taking the Law school signage down from the Phillip St entrance this morning.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Architecturally, this is one of Sydney’s best brutalistic buildings, for me its such a shame we are losing this mid-century classic. It has amazing form and symmetry and a great presence. It does lack in street activity I guess.

It’s a shame that so much of the general population have zero appreciation for mid-century architecture or little understanding of it. One day we will regret knocking down all great examples we have. This is a major loss form me, although I know most of you dont agree.
Agreed, this brutalist classic should not be replaced with a mediocre contemporary effort.

1 - 20 of 379 Posts