SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 2315 Posts

·
Registered
76,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AFR
Curtains for IMAX in Darling Harbour revamp :eek:hno:
A prominent tourist destination, the IMAX Theatre at Sydney’s Darling Harbour, may be demolished within a few years and redeveloped into an office-retail building.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Thats ridiclous that we are going to lose the world's biggest IMAX screen. Its one of the more popular attractions down at Darling Harbour.

·
Registered
19,721 Posts
But a tower like that couldn't happen in Sydney; council's conservative & prescriptive rules & regulations, height limits, FSR, & just plain fearful lack of courage and imagination.

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
Not many realise that it is infact the world's largest cinema screen, and the largest IMAX in the world. Sydney has the world's best IMAX cinema, and who would be crazy enough to destroy it for an office building??? One that will probably just be a ground scraper.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
It is the world's largest cinema screen, and is in fact the largest IMAX in the world. Sydney has the world's best IMAX cinema, and who would be crazy enough to destroy it for an office building??? One that will probably just be a ground scraper.
Is it struggling with customers/tourists? As every time I have been there it has been busy!

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
It often sells out days in an advance for major blockbuster movies, days! As many take advantage of IMAX and 3D. I don't know how well the standard IMAX films are doing however.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Does this pave the way to tunnel the distributor? It is after all part of the Sydney 2030 plan.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
It often sells out days in an advance for major blockbuster movies, days! As many take advantage of IMAX and 3D. I don't know how well the standard IMAX films are doing however.

Standard IMAX films are usually pretty empty. But they are crap anyway.

Why don't they just show blockbuster movies all the time??

·
Galactic Ruler
6,855 Posts
I saw prometheus there a couple of weeks ago, was amazing. it was also at capacity. I can't fathom why they want to get rid of this development. I'd never support it's relocation to the Entertainment Quarter either ... sheer stupidity.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
This is a major shame :(

It's not confirmed thankfully though? Just rumours on the mill?

·
Registered
76,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^see first post./ in todays AFR. will be demolished in a couple of years

·
Here
6,589 Posts
While I have not read the AFP article I doubt the IMAX is under performing. Rather I bet the owners believe they can make more money by turning the site into offices. I am sure this is how many of Sydney's heritage buildings were lost during the 20th century. The owners of these properties don't care about heritage or the social impact of their businesses and buildings, they only care about maximising their assets.

·
Registered
14,821 Posts
Does this pave the way to tunnel the distributor? It is after all part of the Sydney 2030 plan.
This would not surprise me. I've read here and there about the undergrounding of the distributor and how much potential there is for development in the area it occupies. That said if this is an ad hoc single site proposal the owner should forget about it.

1 - 20 of 2315 Posts