SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Completed | MOORE PARK | Allianz Stadium | 42,620 seats

223K views 1K replies 92 participants last post by  Sky_Is_The_Limit 
#1 · (Edited)

EIS now on public exhibition:
Sydney Football Stadium Redevelopment

Concept development application for the redevelopment of Sydney Football Stadium including:
  • A Concept Proposal comprising:
  • a maximum building envelope for the stadium including basement and a roof over all permanent seating;
  • maximum stadium capacity of 45,000 seats (55,000 patrons in concert mode);
  • member areas, premium box/terrace, function lounge and corporate suite operations;
  • flood lighting, stadium video screens and ancillary fittings;
  • team, media and administration facilities, food and beverage areas;
  • new playing pitch and provision for ancillary uses;
  • public domain works and landscaping; and
  • identification of the existing Moore Park Carpark 1 (MP1) as the demolition and construction compound.

Concurrent Stage 1 works comprising:
  • demolition of the existing stadium including the existing Sheridan, Roosters, Waratahs, Cricket NSW Administration Building and Indoor Wickets to ground level (existing slab level);
  • removal of 26 trees; and
  • use of the existing MP1 as the demolition compound.

#2 ·
Interesting. Gladys is really pushing this through before the election in March 2019.
Nice looking stadium proposal, but it's the National Stadium at Homebush that really needs the money spent on it, not this place.
I just wish our politicians weren't so scared of main stream right wing journalists.

#3 · (Edited)
I just wish our politicians weren't so scared of main stream right wing journalists.
Couldn’t agree more. And while we’re on the topic - I wish our politicians (one in particular) weren’t so scared of mainstream right wing backbencher dinosaurs...
And sorry “Stadium Lover” ;-) ...
...I’m sure you’ll agree our city needs $2bn taxpayers’ money spent on a f***in’ stadium as badly as it needs another siege in Martin Place.

#4 ·
From today’s SMH:-

NSW
Multi-million-dollar loans to fund new buildings at Allianz Stadium
SCG Trust says it will borrow money from the state government to replace buildings demolished to make way for a stadium.
Michael Buble has been booked for its farewell show and demolition plans are proceeding apace, but recriminations over the process that led to the decision to knock down Allianz Stadium at Moore Park have not fallen away.
The chairman of the Sydney Cricket & Sports Ground Trust, Tony Shepherd, told a parliamentary inquiry on Monday the trust would borrow money from the state government to replace buildings demolished to make way for a stadium.
And Mr Shepherd also defended the use of a “certificate of occupancy” that warns of the risks of the existing stadium.
The Parliamentary inquiry is examining the government’s controversial stadium strategy, a $2 billion-plus spree that includes a new stadium at Parramatta to open early next year, a replacement stadium at Moore Park, and a redevelopment of ANZ Stadium at Olympic Park.
One of the issues aired at the inquiry is whether the government would have to pay more than the $729 million cost of a new stadium at Moore Park to compensate tenants displaced when Allianz and adjacent buildings are torn down.
Labor’s sports spokeswoman, Lynda Voltz, asked if the SCG Trust’s disruption costs would be in the order of $300 million previously estimated by the trust.
“It’s significantly less than that,” Mr Shepherd said.
Mr Shepherd said the trust would be “borrowing money from the government to build a new sports central building” to replace administration buildings to be demolished for the new stadium.
“We will borrow money to do it and we will repay it out of commercial rents and out of increased revenue from the new stadium,” Mr Shepherd said.
The inquiry has also been interrogating the government and trust’s arguments about the safety deficiencies of Allianz.
David Blackett, whose firm Blackett Maguire and Goldsmith, provided a certificate to the trust warning of the risks of operating Allianz Stadium beyond 2019, earlier told the inquiry this type of certificate was developed for the trust.
“An occupation certificate is a document under the planning act,” Mr Blackett said. “A certificate of occupancy is a document we have developed.”
The government has used this certificate to make the case for urgently replacing the stadium: the government has “clear advice that Allianz Stadium will not be able to obtain an occupancy certificate past 2019,” Sports Minister Stuart Ayres told the Herald in December.
Asked about the lack of a statutory need for such a certificate, Mr Shepherd said it made common sense to obtain such advice, given the detailed safety audits before the Trust.
“We are responsible for the safety of our patrons ... that is an absolute requirement under the law,” he said. The main problem with Allianz was not maintenance, but the stadium's unsafe and over-crowded design.
"The core problem is the fundamental design which cannot be fixed other than by a complete rebuild," he said.
The government faces a tight timeline to begin the demolition of Allianz Stadium prior to the March 2019 election.
Jim Betts, the chief executive of Infrastructure NSW, said he would “need to take advice” as to whether there was any conflict between conventions governing decisions leading up to an election, and the timeline for demolishing and building a new stadium.
Labor opposes a new stadium at Moore Park.

#11 ·
Impossible. The DA is on exhibition until the end of this month and the proposal breaks multiple planning rules.

Quite apart from the planning rules, the Minister of Sport and the SCSGT are acting outside their powers under the SCSG Act, which restricts them to the SCSGT Lands. They simply can't go round executing head leases with Carsingha and making DAs in the EQ.

#22 ·
In 20 years they’ll be demanding a roof, and it’ll be knocked down and another one, this time with a roof on it, built in its place.

I preferred the Bates Smart over-Central-railyards idea.

I understand the complications, and the yard lock-in it creates, but beats this as a city-making project by a country mile.

#23 ·
Looks very similar to what's already there.

While I am in favour of this project I hope the Sydney Cricket Ground Trust doesn't have a hidden agenda here which involves moving games like State of Origin, big soccer internationals and even the rugby league grand final back to Moore Park at the expense of ANZ Stadium / Western Sydney.

#24 ·
Looks very similar to what's already there.

I hope the Sydney Cricket Ground Trust doesn't have a hidden agenda here.
Given it's a Cox design - part of the inspiration.

Don't see it. Obviously it will likely get 2021/22 games if ANZ is demolished (and it may not if Labor wins)

In any event SCG/Allianz has already gotten back Swans and Tahs gamed who had hosted a few a year plus finals at ANZ.

NRL and Football Australia will stick to the bigger ground.
Wallabies v Ireland was at Allianz this year and I'd expect that to continue (ex All Blacks and Lions) - the geographic distribution of your regular rugby fan is a little different.

I retain the view that full knocking down ANZ fully is stupid. It's still got good facilities and doesn't suffer from the issues of Allianz.
Instead just do one half.
Pull the seats back on one edge, knock out a bit more of the bowl and permanently move the pitch nearer to that stand.
Then demolish the other side and rebuild.

Much like the MCG is in two halves and even more at the SCG.

Also saw a piece on the news the other night that the new operator of Western Sydney/Parramatta Stadium is still struggling to get agreement from Parramatta to play there next year

#27 ·
Why do you need an underground carpark that's used 20 times a year, when you've got plenty above ground carparking (which brings in a nice revenue stream to Centennial Park trust)

Sadly however Centennial Park missed a trick here.
Rather than objecting to the SCG Trust building a new stadium on 'their' land - they should have negotiated a swap for the current stadium site with the government funding an underground carpark and a new actual garden rather than bare grass up top.

#31 ·
I agree it's petulant.
Was announced a long time ago and the money is already in the tin, and big $s spent on detailed plans and approvals.

Much of the SFS has already been stripped - eg. The SCG has two new scoreboards that came across from the SFS and a bunch of new TVs

And per the reports from the Trust, the cost of a new stadium is not much more than the cost to bring the existing stadium up to code.

ANZ is a different matter. Just play all the small games at Western Sydney Stadium and keep ANZ for the big games (maybe 5 a year at most). Gradually transform it to a rectangular stadium one side at a time over 10-20 years.

NRL won't move the grand final.

#32 ·
I agree it's petulant.
NRL won't move the grand final.
They've been paid too much by the Government and have an MOU not to move it.

The problem is NRL's declining fan base.

The Government deserves the flak they've copped over this stadium upgrade, and it's hard not to agree with Labour that it should have been funded by the SCGT via borrowing if the number stacked up so well. Allianz was only in the state it was because the SCGT didn't maintain it properly, because stadia are just money pits.