SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 14337 Posts

·
likes beer
12,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread is for pictures and discussion about larger and more prominent* inner city** developments, including everything from shopping centres, museums, apartments blocks, hospitals, that are under construction or have recently been completed. Building construction only please.

* with no anally retentive height, footprint, floorspace limits!
** as in not out in the countryside

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
So City Centre but also inner-city? Large and prominent but any size will do really. Under construction or recent and it can be anything?:lol:

·
likes beer
12,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
:lol: Yeah man, stop confusing the simple folk! I didn't want the daft rules that seem to be attached to other threads, which usually results in excessive bitchcraft. I'm letting the good folk of SSC use their own judgement as to what a prominent and large developments is. If you post pictures of kitchen extension of your home, the implication is that your kitchen extension is a big development in your city!

I didn't spot that I'd put city centre, I'll change that now, ta! :cheers:

Lastly, when I said recently finished, I meant externally finished but fitting out, and maybe pictures of finished buildings that have previously appeared in this thread :)

·
wiggledypiggleypuddinghed
13,066 Posts
good thread. given there is not to much happening on the +70m thread.. this should keep things more active :)

now post some pretty mann island pictures beeyatch :D

·
16,676 Posts
Portsmouth Superhospital - Queen Alexandra

Some early pics.

New main entrance in the snow.

Huge pic of Main Entrance

An overview, just for scale the two angled silver and terracotta clad blocks are 8 floors each.

Skybridge linking to the new Northern Buildings. Heleport under construction behind.

Older Victorian buildings which sadly have to go.

The whole development takes advantage of Portsmouths location equadistant between Bournemouth and Brighton with Southampton thrown in between to provide the South Coast with the best facilities available. Combined with the already top notch Southampton General Hospital. The whole thing is HUGE.

·
likes beer
12,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Sexy Astronaut
11,810 Posts

·
21,865 Posts
Titanic Quarter:

Most recent pics

ARC Phase 1, public square and Titanic Artwork

New Hotel

New Belfast Metropolitan College Building

New Public Records Office for Northern Ireland (PRONI)

Citigroup Northern Ireland HQ

Pics from Titanic Quarter Thread

The FutureBelfast site is down, otherwise I'd have more pics, especially of the Citigroup building, which is lovely.

·
likes beer
12,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah it was fantastic, a much better and larger city centre than I expected, lots of fine streets, vistas and lovely old buildings, well, with the odd shocker. I can see you're having fun with your pavements too!

·
21,865 Posts

·
likes beer
12,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The bits that had been done looked good, but its very disruptive, and was far too confusing for my girlfriend who struggles with a map at the best of times anyway! :lol:

·
likes beer
12,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They seem to be taking forever to open these new batch of city museums, Liverpool's I can understand... but ours though... Well anyway the wait better be worth it!
Here's Finzels reach which is also taking forever (completion 2012-2013). Some notable building work apart from demolition appears to be taking place now so er fingers crossed.
what a cracking name, Finzels Reach

·
likes beer
12,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kings Waterfront

The Kings Waterfront masterplan for Kings Dock, which included the Echo Arena, BT convention centre, hotels and MSCP also included apartment blocks that wrapped around the car park. The apartment development stalled as the developer went into administration, but they're being finished off now, to a pretty shocking standard.

picture by casini2008

picture by woody

woody..

Joe the red

I took a good look at these flats this morning and what I saw was less than convincing. It appears that the concrete structure is being clad with what looks like polystyrene blocks, these blocks are then covered with some mesh (maybe infamous chicken wire!!) and rendered over with a mortar/cement covering, finally I assume, it is painted the white colour. It all looks very temporary you wonder how it will stand the test of time, it also seems to be very amateurish.

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
^^ I dont think they will look too bad when completed, at least the arena is a success (at least aesthetically).

New Hotel
The first time i saw this building (from another thread) i thought it was disgusting, but the more i look at it, the more i love it. Has an art Deco seaside feel to it IMO.

·
likes beer
12,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^^ I dont think they will look too bad when completed, at least the arena is a success (at least aesthetically).

I don't mind the style of them personally, but close up the quality of finish so far looks horrendous.

1 - 20 of 14337 Posts