SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 4170 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The idea of this thread is to create the separate thread that will be devoted to photos of Riga's construction works and new buildings. (Especially to the first). While future project tenders are visible in Riga's Development Threads, this thread will show present reality of the city. I hope that other members will supplement this thread with adding of their photos. I will come up with new photos also. Let's make this thread as up-to-date representation of Riga's constructions in photos!

Panorama Plaza high-rises:

New office building (between Kalnciema un Slokas street):

Builder's apartments in Z-Towers site:

Z-Towers site:

First structures:

And now Rietumu Capital centre:

Skanstes Virsotnes site:

"Dzimtas majas' residential houses construction area. This is where Riga expands its borders in East direction, because houses builds in previously empty spaces:

"To the east!" - all the cranes shows Riga's offensive direction:

The new middle-rise residentials Dreilini in this area (and there are construction works also):

And some new low-rises residentials:

"Metropolia" project:

And in the dessert - the bigest construction project in the Baltics right now, The South Bridge:

·
Hotel Business
792 Posts
^^ Yes, they are recentrly finished, however, the construction of these started back in late 1980 ies and left half-built, and just like 15 years later they are finished with improved looks. If they would be build in old soviet style they would look much worse believe me :) Those are social flats now owned by city and rented out to poorer people and families with more than 4 children AFAIK.

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
^^ Yes, they are recentrly finished, however, the construction of these started back in late 1980 ies and left half-built, and just like 15 years later they are finished with improved looks. If they would be build in old soviet style they would look much worse believe me :) Those are social flats now owned by city and rented out to poorer people and families with more than 4 children AFAIK.
Hehe, ok, that explains it. However, the other buildings look good. :)

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the feedback!
In Purvciems district there are some other ghosts from late Soviet time which needs demolition. Recently I saw really weird look there - new and modern residentials besides one such wreck building. It was surreal!

·
Registered
93 Posts
The South Bridge will cost about ONE BILLION EUROS... When it was started it's estimated costs were about a 100 MILLION euros... Ha, only 10 TIMES more expensive...

So that's what we call inflation... Looking at the way how costs of many things increase, I'm not even able to afford to rent a room in a commie appartment building... Beautiful...

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Regarding the South Bridge there was made public relations mistake. They announced not simple costs of the project - but all the costs including inflation in coming 25 years and loan percents.

When you buy apartment per 100 000 EUR, you say to your relatives that your apartment costs 100 000 EUR. But in reality it will cost some 200 000 EUR to you - because over the next 30 years you will pay loan percents and occasional increase of inflation etc.

Riga City Council just said the full costs... and everyone goes crazy now.

- First stage of the bridge (bridge itself and 9 estacades over Krasta/Maskavas Streets) will cost up to 157 mio EUR. When you go and see how much is built there - you would agree that this is justified sum. It was managed by my good collegues in City Development Department and I feel confidence about them.
- Second stage of the bridge (extension to Vesetas Street with kilometres of new flyovers and complicated traffic interchanges) will cost 242 mio EUR. Pure cost, without bank percents etc. I don't know why it is so expensive - but hope that everything is OK.
- Third stage (left bank) is the simplest one. Tender hasn't been announced on it yet - but there should not be anything terribly expensive - should be under 100 mio EUR.

Thus in total we get approximately 0,5 billion EUR pure costs for a 7 km long elevated road which includes some 20 estacades and 800 m of bridge over the river. Sure it is expensive - but it is by far not the most expensive bridge in world as shown by local mass media.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great thread!!!! Liked the view of Southern bridge estacades!

Hope that I will contribute soon - my brand new Sony R1 is with me :D
Super! We are waiting for your pictures!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Some new additions.
1. Imantas Pērle (new apartment building in Imanta). Looks good, in my opinion.

2. Astra Lux (new apartment building in Purvciems). Not so good...

Different angle (together with GE Money Building it creates an illusion that this is one building):

3. New buildings under construction in Purvciems:

In Purvciems district there are some other ghosts from late Soviet time which needs demolition. Recently I saw really weird look there - new and modern residentials besides one such wreck building. It was surreal!
This is what I spoke about:

Very interesting and good-looking residential (again in Purvciems). I don't know when it was built probably it is some years old already:

Some works in Pārdaugava (Dzirciems):

Sorry but I don't know what is this object: (???)

OK, that's all for this time..

1 - 20 of 4170 Posts