Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Australia's tallest building/structure on completion in 1816/18.
Took 16 months to build and completed dec16,1817.

Francis Greenways Macquarie Lighthouse/ Vaucluse, Sydney

The magnificent tower stood 27m/88feet high to weather ****.The sandstone structure was made of poor quality sandstone and Greenway pleaded with builders to use harder stone but they went ahead with softer stone. he said it wont last 50 years. He was close. in 1878 it was deemed unsafe and had to be replaced. Gov architect James barnet basically dupilicated the design and it was erected adjacent and completed in 1883.

old and new in 1883.

elevation of the tower
the 6m/20ft shaft rises to 20m/66ft.The rooms either side total 25m long x.7m/.

how it looks today

i went on a tour last year. well worth it.

The lighthouse was kerosene powered in 1912 & converted to electricity in 1933 with 1.4 million candelas.

The the night of November 30,1818, its beams were the only lights shining on the 37,000 kms of black coast that was Australia....

·
Premium Member
9,604 Posts
The old Windmill is Brisbane's oldest still standing convict built building.

It was built in 1828, and was later used as a signal and weather station. It also was used for experimental TV broadcasts between the 1920-40's.

·
Registered
77,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^yes thats a great old structure. imade sure i visted it back a few years ago.
Sydney is lucky to have a few remaining examples.
more from F Greenway

hyde park barracks 1819

Sydney Mint 1811-15 (Sydneys oldest bldg)

cadmans cottage 1816

St james, Church 1820
Australia's tallest structure for 35 years!

St Mathews,Richmond

·
Oh ma Lordee, lookee here
1,734 Posts
Yep, Sydney's going to take the points on this thread okay.
But while we wait for Hobart to awaken I'd like to offer an old favorite. For the life of me I can't find an architect attribution for the world's loveliest little Martello tower, on Fort Denison in Sydney Harbour. So I'm claiming this convict-built rather than designed.

The Fort was commissioned in 1841 but completed in stages between 1857 (some site say 1862), and the best attribution I find so far is Colonel George Barney who was commissioned to improve the Harbour's Defences, and also oversaw the construction of Fort Dawes, most of which eventually made way for the Harbor Bridge.

Fort Denison was simply called Rock Island when the First Fleet arrived, but quickly became known as Pinchgut, a naval term referring to a narrow point between headlands rather than starving convicts, who were sent there for punishment.

It was originally a 15m high rock island in the middle of the Harbour, but was leveled for the sandstone used to line Circular Quay.

The stone for the fort's construction was was quarried at Kurraba Point in Nuetral Bay.

You can see the Garden Palace in the background of this NLA photograph

These little Martello Towers, short coastal defense towers, appeared around the world in the first half of the 19th Century, having proved effective against the Royal Navy
in various European wars. Fort Denison, the only one in Australia was also one of the last.

The base of the tower is 6.7m thick, the top 2.7m thick.
the fort's walls are 3.3m thick. However, its thought that the gun ports in the tower were to small to allow the three 8in muzzle-loading guns still inside them to fire safely or efficiently. It was also feared that the space was too small to allow for the recoil. Didn't someone once say that 'military intelligence' is an oxymoron?

There are so many stories connected to Fort Denison: from the one o'clock gun - which was the root of a sexist expression in my youth - to the submarine raid in Sydney Harbour in May 1942: when everyone opened up wildly, and the Fort was hit by secondary armament fire from the American heavy cruiser Chicago.

I went to see the 1959 film, The Siege of Pinchgut, starring American tough-guy actor Aldo Ray, and the last made by Ealing Studios. It's now acquiring retro cult status. It was about four escaped convicts who took over the island, holding the caretaker and his pretty daughter hostage, while threatening to shell the city unless their demands were met. It was released in America under the title 'Four Desperate Men.'

which sort of continues the convict theme.

Yep, sweet little island, Pinchgut - and quite well located:

·
Registered
390 Posts
A few golden oldies from Parramatta. Many of the countries oldest structures can be found here.

Old Gov. House, oldest civic building in Australia. Original building 1790, one seen today 1818

Another of Greenways, 1823 Bath House

St Johns. Site of the oldest church in Oz. Has had many alterations and additions. All started in 1803

George Salter cottage of 1798, part of the dairy precinct

Finally the oldest surviving building of Australia, Elizabeth Farm 1790!!!

·
Happy now...
676 Posts
St Matthew's Church of England in Windsor NSW (1817-1822) another by Francis Greenway. Greenway featured on our $10 note.

Greenway

Windsor Courthouse (1821-1822) yet another by Greenway

·
Registered
77,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
great stuff guys. pinchgut is an amazing island. perfectly located int he harbour. ive been to a luncheon there. just brilliant.must admit, didmt know about that movie.does it show 1959 skyline>?
yes parramatta has some great old bldgs. the st Johns church towers are the only surviving sections of the original church. they date from 1819. the church dates from 1860;s.
St mathews is an awesome church. when compelted in 1820 it was one of biggest buildings in Australia./ so far from sydney
The Elizabeth farm house dates from 1793.It has gone through alot of changes and alterations over its first 70 years.
The OLDEST church in Australia is also at west of sydney at Ebenezer. the Presbyterian church dates from 1809.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts