Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
COPENHAGEN | The Copenhagen Concert Hall by Ateliers Jean Nouvel | Completed

The Copenhagen Concert Hall by Ateliers Jean Nouvel

The Copenhagen Concert Hall by Jean Nouvel is a part of the new "DR Byen" (DR Town), that eventually will house all of the Danmarks Radio (DR) by 2008. The concert hall and the DR Town are located in the northern part of Ørestad - an ambitious development area in Copenhagen. The concert complex will consist of four halls with the main auditorium seating 1,800 people. It will serve as the home of the Danish National Symphony Orchestra.

Rendering of the main auditorium:

The structure can be likened to a meteor covered by big blue screens, supposed to resemble water, that can be used to project visual content on:

The budget has been expanded several times due to the immense complexity of the project. As of 2007 it had reached almost 300 million dollars making the Copenhagen Concert Hall along the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles the most expensive concert hall ever built.

Construction commenced in February 2003. Currently the expected time of completion for the project is January 2009 making the total time of construction just a little under 6 years.

The Danish National Symphony Orchestra in front of the almost finished "meteor":

·
Put it in your mouth
7,109 Posts
I really don't get how this building's going to work. I'm 100% positive that it's going to be awesome when finished and I finally understand the 'skin' of it - but right now it looks like a factory or something. Copenhagen's too cool to build a concert hall that isn't absolutely amazing. I just wish I had an idea of how this one's going to work.....

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really don't get how this building's going to work. I'm 100% positive that it's going to be awesome when finished and I finally understand the 'skin' of it - but right now it looks like a factory or something. Copenhagen's too cool to build a concert hall that isn't absolutely amazing. I just wish I had an idea of how this one's going to work.....
Exactly - that's how a lot of us feel! We simply just don't know whether this amazing project idea-wise will actually work in reality before they have taken down all of the scaffolding still sitting all over the foyer and the lighting scheme gets going. That's when we will know whether the main idea - the socalled meteor-effect - will work.

·
Put it in your mouth
7,109 Posts
Exactly - that's how a lot of us feel! We simply just don't know whether this amazing project idea-wise will actually work in reality before they have taken down all of the scaffolding still sitting all over the foyer and the lighting scheme gets going. That's when we will know whether the main idea - the socalled meteor-effect - will work.
I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt and just assume that it's going to be amazing. Jean Nouvell did design it after all, and you Danes know a good design when you see one :)

I can't imagine the Danish Government spending so much money on this building if they didn't have a clear idea of how the 'skin' would work and how it would look when completed. I guess they just haven't explained the workings of it and the end result well enough to people interested, as there seems to be a lot of mystery surrounding the final product.

Meanwhile, I'm amazed by how much this area around the Concert Hall has grown. I lived in Copenhagen in 1999 - 2001, before the Metro opened and all these buildings were still in their planning stages. I'll have to get back to CPH one of these days and go exploring. I really miss CPH, it has to be one of the coolest cities on Earth. God I wish I was Danish......

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
The interior looks like it will be stunning, but the exterior isn't too great.

I LOVE Jean Nouvel and his work, and I love Copenhagen, but I don't quite like this project.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
All the sharp edges and exposed metal everywhere makes me to intuitively be cautious about it. There is a certain amount of wow-effect from a meteor in water though, if they can actually make it look good, we will see...

Will the meteor-like structure itself reflect some kind of lighting effects?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts