SkyscraperCity banner

1621 - 1640 of 1675 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Excellent aerials.

Like the new cluster of buildings incl the 'cube'.

what's the feel like at street level?
Hi mate.

I think the feel on the ground is good. Very wide open. Loads of space for lots of people. Its going to be very busy this Summer during the day and the evening.

Nice selection of restaurants there now. International Pool, Gym, Theatre and Cinema all in the same area. We just need that Bowling Alley now.

I have heard a rumour that the Co-op building which is about to become empty across the road might become one.?

Really hope the South East side of town will be rebuilt soon. It really is a big area when seen from the aerial photos...

RIK

·
Registered
521 Posts
think the co-op, mcdermaid hall, Connaughty centre and Sally army buildings will all be vacated within the next month, so big bit of land to clear and rebuild.

maybe a multi storey car park, with shops and apartments built into it could work here

the town is probably lacking some good quality office space in a central location as well.

have heard that the job centre have been given 2 years notice to vacate their building as well.

is there any sort of revised masterplan for the area?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Hi mate.

I think the feel on the ground is good. Very wide open. Loads of space for lots of people. Its going to be very busy this Summer during the day and the evening.

Nice selection of restaurants there now. International Pool, Gym, Theatre and Cinema all in the same area. We just need that Bowling Alley now.

I have heard a rumour that the Co-op building which is about to become empty across the road might become one.?

Really hope the South East side of town will be rebuilt soon. It really is a big area when seen from the aerial photos...

RIK
Is the South east part of town near Elizabeth St / Anne St?

I reckon a decent building of height, in the modern style of the cube (but higher and slimmer) would provide a good balance to the area around the cube and help define the eastern boundary of the centre, as seen from the air.

·
aegt
62 Posts
Hi all. Lots of rumours going around but only defo piece of news is that Rubix will be a restaurant/cafe of some sort as planning permission in for a A3 building and cannot see it turned down. Some people complaining its another eating place but I actually think the more the merrier. Especially if its a large chain which can entice people from out of town in. As for the old co op I have heard its going to be Sainsburys but no one really knows. My bet is someone will buy the whole land and demolish the area and rebuilt but what who knows. I'm sure Mulberry developments still have a plan to build a bowling alley but when who knows. Something going on with Café con leche. No planning application in so take it it will be another bar of some sort which we do need in town. Any development is better than nothing so I'm mainly happy. People keep saying they want larger stores but until bigger units are built many wont want to come as most stores too small. Be interesting to see what happens in the future. And I also heard a rumour that the job centre was going into the cube, Not sure how true that is though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
not much happening in Corby at the minute so here's my wish list for some news of development in the new year;

... build Oakley hay aldi ...

it's only when you list down the above that you realise how many opportunities there are to improve the town, which other towns just don't have the room or demand for
http://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/news/top-stories/plans-for-second-aldi-store-in-corby-to-be-discussed-next-week-1-7173926

Planning meeting to discuss Aldi proposals for that end of town was supposed to happen on Tuesday 26th. Not sure what the outcome was (can't see anything on the council site)

·
Registered
521 Posts
can't see why that wouldn't go ahead as long as they sort good pedestrian access to the nearby residential areas.

I see there is an application in to convert Rubix to restaurant use. would work better as a pub that does good food as it's one of the few two storey units in the town centre.

are there any plans to address Corby's current lack of nightclub provision?

·
aegt
62 Posts
Dan Pickard has just posted some photographs on the corby is ace site on facebook. The café con leche building will now be a restaurant/bar called Glass house. Looks nice and up market. They will be doing music nights including Jazz which I think is needed in the town. Different aspects to night life.

·
Registered
521 Posts
this type of decor send to be all on trend at the minute but a bit too pretentious for my liking.

hope it does well though as it's been empty for far too long.

is it being marketed as a bar, restaurant or cafe?

·
Registered
69 Posts
The Glasshouse is currently advertising for Bar Staff and waitresses to start work with a provisional start date of March 2016. It aims to provide a "luxury wineing and dinning experience" (sic)

Applications via "Indeed" for those who might be interested.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yep more good news for Corby and the East side of the town centre.

However what really is the problem with the old TJHughs building.?
Big unit, prime location and yet still sits empty going to waste.!

If nobody wants to lease it then turn it into a temporary indoor market.
You could get 30 small independant traders in there with a cafe.

RIK

·
Registered
521 Posts
has the other indoor market closed?
is there demand for another one?

it is strange that TJ Hughes has been empty for years when most other units are let. think the upstairs could work as a nightclub if there was a desire to have one in the town centre again.

sounds like the redevelopment of the bus station site isn't far away but pity it includes so much surface parking. should include a multi storey to make better use of the big site.

·
Registered
69 Posts
1621 - 1640 of 1675 Posts