Registered
140 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
I think book shops are going the way as music stores, with younger generations buying online or reading digital content instead. Even WH Smith are closing down some high street stores.

Good news about the M&S Food store offering people more choice.
Would have thought the old Co-op store would have been ideal for them though with its own parking and central location.

I see Loungers are now recruiting with an opening date of 10th August for the Paletto Lounge;

http://jobs.loungers.co/loungers/Search/Results/Location-GB.EEMK_PostCode-nn17_Distance-5_DistanceUnits-miles/1

·
aegt
62 Posts
Rumour mill..someone posted on corby is ace sight that an ice hockey team.was being.established near the indoor race track. If true would mean an ice rink being built. Others dismissed it thinking it be a rubbish rumour.but.then.someone else said it is coming and a bowling alley but near aldi. Not sure how credible these comments are but would be great news if true. However again I would rather they were in.the town centre.

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Rik Daniel Pickard said on the Corby is Ace page on fb that the TJ Hughes building is now let. He wouldn't say by who but the rumour is its sports direct. He also said that the land that was supposed to be Vue is now being considered for more retail and the new owners of the town centre are just waiting on tenants signing contracts before they build. Probably to guarantee they can fill the new shops. Would love a department store built like Debenhams however another rumour circulating is that BHS will be coming. I suppose we cannot complain though if that is the case as better than nothing but not as good as Debenhams if true.
Exactly a year old, this post demonstrates that progress has been slow in terms of filling some of the larger spaces in the Town Centre environs.

We won't be getting a BHS either :eek:hno:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thoughts on the plans for the bus station end of the town?
(Can't post links yet, sorry. But was posted on Northants ET today)

Looks alright, though it's a shame that the multistorey will be replaced with surface parking. Doesn't seem like the best use of space, though I suppose a multistorey could be built on this site or another at a later date if there was demand for one... There's some really nice multistoreys recently in Leeds, both at the University and the Victoria Gate scheme. Perhaps dreaming, but I think something similar would look good in Corby.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Here's the link:
http://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/news/eyesore-end-of-corby-town-centre-finally-set-for-major-building-work-1-7617249

These plans appear to get downgraded with each set of plans released.

Parking should definitely be hidden, either underground or in a multi-storey to make best use of limited space.

Looks very much like the cheap option when we should be aiming higher as I don't recall the town centre ever being so popular and vibrant in the online shopping age in terms of occupancy & variety.

·
Registered
9,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,652
The public consultation boards for the bus station site - which you can zoom into quite nicely - can be found here:

http://willowplace.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Public-Consultation-Boards.pdf

I scrolled back through the thread and couldn't believe that it was 3 years ago that the Vue proposals were first launched. Time flies, and no progress has been made here at all.

Looking back at the comments I made 3 years ago, I wasn't overly enthused with the Vue scheme at the time. This scheme isn't much different in physical terms - it's still a big box at the end of Market Walk and a big surface car park.

That said, now the cinema situation has been resolved, I am happier that it is for retail uses. My concern 3 years ago was that having the cinema here wouldn't future-proof the town centre for further retail growth. At least this scheme will provide new units and given the highly visible, busy location and proposed layout which should lend itself to good footfall, they should be able to fill them.

The car park seems to have shrunk again, but the layout looks ok other than the cycle parking by the exit which looks to be a total afterthought. I'd relocate this to between the two stairwells and give it a canopy, similar to what they have outside the Cube. I imagine that's what the police will tell them when the application is submitted.

The new stairwell upto Market Walk looks a bit weird but I like the idea of a green wall. The rest of the car park looks pretty bland though - choice of colours, materials and ensuring the pedestrian routes are desirable to use (i.e. can't be blocked by cars overhanging, or bumping up on kerbs) will be very important given how prominent the site is. It'll also be important to see how the big box can be tarted up to look decent at night as well as during the day.

As with 3 years ago I am underwhelmed with what's on show, but I have to be realistic. The Evolution Corby days are long gone, this isn't a cinema proposal, and it will tart up an awful part of the town centre with extra retail, which I think is what most of us want. Iron out the creases, get it approved and get it built.

·
Registered
140 Posts
with the plans just announced for a 'garden village' at Deenethorpe in 'East Northants" district; which is really an add on to Corby urban area - it was the S&L airstrip after all - should there be some kind of boundary review. There seems to be a number of what are little more than ransom strips from neighbouring districts poking into what is the Corby urban area: should Little Oakley have to admit, " we are Corby"; is East Northants necessary at all?

·
Registered
9,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,656
Little Oakley is in Kettering's district as far as I'm aware.

The daft boundary is the one around Rockingham Speedway. The circuit is in East Northants, but pretty much everything around it is in Corby. They get the business rates and we get nothing but the traffic.

If you're East Northants, I doubt you'd be wanting to surrender ground to Corby because of the loss of revenue. That said, it could all be academic if the county becomes one or two unitary councils, which is a possibility in the near future.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Little Oakley has Great Oakley on one side and Stanion on the other, both in Corby - the point is that this is ludicrous, like the Rockingham track.

Unitary authorities are the way forward and work elsewhere but aside from the Northampton urban area bid and South Northants linking to MK, which both make a great deal of sense, it is hard to see how a happy collaboration could happen between the other towns. The current county council hardly has a good record of stewardship.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Article about the plans for the 'Corby Branch' in Modern Railways this month and future plans for the line. Excellent shows real commitment to the line and 2 trains an hour. The franchise is up in 2018 and I wonder, with electric trains, if it would be a good fit for the rest of the line which looks to continue to be diesel for a long time?

I wish that the plans included adding a change to the junction at Manton, to allow trains to turn right and go to Peterborough. Better connect the town to the world and provide an alternative route for commuters from that town to London. further trains to Derby/Nottingham too...too much coffee

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone got any photos of the ongoing Midlands Logistics Park? Looks really impressive on the plans, with plans to include a rail freight terminal on phase 2.

I've noticed all the ground works have started on phase 1 but unfortunately can't see much from driving past.

1641 - 1660 of 1675 Posts