SkyscraperCity banner

1661 - 1675 of 1675 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
New Flats Proposed at Train Station

Seen this. I think its a good idea BUT, I think that the developer has a scaling problem. I cannot see all this fitting on what is a small site. The plan view looks OK but the render is way out.

Was puzzled that the county council planners recommend 541 parking spaces (it is a district matter after all) - no wonder cars choke the county. I cannot see 81 fitting onto the site. But I guess the developer could via leasehold be able to limit car ownership by anyone that moves in. On this site in a walkable town and access to bus routes - why would you need a car - I can see people might want one (which is different), maybe a sustainable travel with shared car use policy would be really innovative?

https://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/news/major-corby-flats-plan-attracts-objections-1-8393883

·
Registered
839 Posts
Seen this. I think its a good idea BUT, I think that the developer has a scaling problem. I cannot see all this fitting on what is a small site. The plan view looks OK but the render is way out.

Was puzzled that the county council planners recommend 541 parking spaces (it is a district matter after all) - no wonder cars choke the county. I cannot see 81 fitting onto the site. But I guess the developer could via leasehold be able to limit car ownership by anyone that moves in. On this site in a walkable town and access to bus routes - why would you need a car - I can see people might want one (which is different), maybe a sustainable travel with shared car use policy would be really innovative?

https://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/news/major-corby-flats-plan-attracts-objections-1-8393883
Wow, that was a highly puzzling negative report about three Four Storey blocks of flats, where do you start...to tall!, over-bearing!Not in keeping! Major! 541 car parking spaces for 150 flats...thats 3+ spaces per flat!! Fire service are not able to put out a four storey fire! Station parking on grass verges...so get rid of the grass verges and put Pay and display bays in...this is not the countryside!

This looks to me like a highly sustainable site for a high density residential area to help with the housing crisis in the area, promote less car usage and provide a further boast for the growth of Corby town centre and the viability of the Rail station.

Obviously the design and access can be looked into if the plan needs improving...but that would be more to make it a gateway development from the station.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Now approved and aimed at the rental market, lots of planning conditions added. Puzzled that each flat gets its own washing machine and dryer so that there is no washing hanging from the windows - could they not just build a laundrette on site? Let's hope its actually built. Bike share might be useful...
Now - what about the rest of the site now that the area near the bridge has been flattened, more development or car parking? Is the bus depo closing so that a larger site can be offered to a developer (bet there is some pollution on that land)?

·
Registered
140 Posts
This is an odd story. Seems to be taking a dig at Corby Council who are not the approving body for this development. The Labour candidate seems to be suggesting that the local conservatives are not playing this with a 'straight bat'. FWIW the site is highly contaminated like the racetrack because of the former steelworks and it would be hard finding another land use. They have had an incinerator in Lewisham so not totally convinced by the health claims. Interesting historical footnote: corby brickworks was closed in the 19thC after a local landowner proved that his horses were suffering from the pollution emitted by the site (the 'Count' in 'Counts Farm rd)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-49810133 https://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/news/people/controversial-corby-incinerator-with-chimneys-half-the-size-of-blackpool-tower-up-for-discussion-1-8957404

·
Registered
140 Posts
I saw from my last visit that the wires are up at the station and that there is a lot of activity at Kettering station to build the new stabling for the trains. This has also been published https://www.eastmidlandsrailway.co.uk/december2020 about changes to services. The offer...12 car trains, iniatially some will be 3 plus 2 but will be converted to 2 plus 2.
More than double the number of services between Corby and London St Pancras International. Services will run every 30 minutes providing a more regular service frequency. Earlier arrivals into London, with the earliest service due to arrive almost two hours earlier, which will also provide links to Luton Airport Parkway. Later services from Corby to London St Pancras International with the final service to be two hours later than the current timetable. Significant increase in services from London St Pancras International to Corby. There is currently one service which arrives into Corby before 10:00 but this will increased to six. ¿ The last weekday service from London St Pancras International to Corby will be over four hours later compared to the current timetable. Continuation of services to/from Oakham and Melton Mowbray. ¿ Improved connectivity to Kettering, Wellingborough, Bedford, Luton and Luton Airport Parkway, with services running every 30 minutes and stopping at all stations.
Introducing regular hourly Sunday services between Corby and London St Pancras International.

I guess the Melton Train will be one each way like now - they are apparently getting some HST units from the East Coast Railway but no mention of the Derby train at 09h25 that comes back in the evening.

1661 - 1675 of 1675 Posts