Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strategic housing planning submitted directly to An Bord Pleanala this week for a residential development (completing the one already started) in Jacobs Island, Mahon.

Construction of 413 no. apartments, neighbourhood centre, créche, road improvement works including upgrades to the Mahon Link Road (R852) to the North of the N40 interchange to incorporate a dedicated bus lane and all site development works.
They will be across a couple of blocks ranging in size from 6 storeys to 9 storeys. The site is also marked appropriate for a tall building for those entering the city from the tunnel (Dublin and Waterford roads). Despite it only being allowed to be 64 metres, they have submitted 82.8m and 25 floors! This was to fit the other requirements from the city council (including slenderness). It will become the tallest in Cork by a little over ten metres, the tallest in the Republic by 4 or so metres and just misses out on the tallest on the island by 2.2 metres

The website for the scheme is here

·
Registered
14,313 Posts

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Before and after when viewed from Rochestown (well, that angle, the land is actually quite a bit further back) from Cork Crane Count on Twitter

It will be interesting to see what the houses on the waterfront think. As far as I know they're new (completed recently it seems whenever I pass them on The Line) so surely all of those people knew that Jacob's Island was going to be more than the current seven storey blocks. All of the smaller buildings though are nearer them and the 25 storey is quite far away. No one else lives near there so no one should be able to complain about loss of light. There are no views, let alone protected ones, so really this should go through no problem. Although it wouldn't surprise me if the tower was cut (you never know, though, after Sullivan's Quay)

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is my understanding that the planners in the city council or ABP have encouraged the increase in height to 25 storeys. I don't think a reduction in height is that likely. Wouldn't be surprised if this gets through.
Page 74 justifies the height of the tower and I don't see how An Bord Pleanala can rule against it. First of all, that site is designated appropriate for a tall building. Secondly, the city development plan states that the tall building should be

• be of high design quality
• be residential in use
• have a slenderness ratio of 3:1
• be twice the height of its adjacent building

They then examine what it would be like if the building was 13 storeys (35.55m), 19 storeys (51.75m) and 25 storeys (82.8m). It shows how 25 storeys meets the requirements best

That has the potential to look great or absolutely horrendous based solely on the external materials and finishes.

If they go cheap the building will look dated before it's even finished.
Go to page 56 of the document linked above. They list the materials they plan on using. The tower will be made of precast concrete cladding panels, which they said was used on the Millennium Tower (not the best looking building but it has aged incredibly well in terms of cleanliness). They have also done some nice detailing so it isn't a flat facade either. I agree, though, the proof will be when (or if) they actually build it. It could look terrible or great. I think my main concern is weathering from the river, but if Millennium Tower can still look good, this might have a chance.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Further details on the facade page 77-80. Could look really good (in the summer!) if done right.

"Textured precast concrete panels will be used to create a profiled facade of deep reveals. This will bring a level of visual interest to the facade, as sunlight and shadow play against it throughout the day."

·
Registered
879 Posts
Before and after when viewed from Rochestown (well, that angle, the land is actually quite a bit further back) from Cork Crane Count on Twitter

Let me guess: a bajillion objections from the anti-everything brigade because the "skyscraper" will cast shadows on the local ducks giving them a sad.

Also Cork isn't Dubai.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Let me guess: a bajillion objections from the anti-everything brigade because the "skyscraper" will cast shadows on the local ducks giving them a sad.

Also Cork isn't Dubai.
I doubt it. This isn't really near anyone. Rochestown and Douglas are the closest outside of Mahon (which is separated from this by the South Link and Mahon Point), but even those are over a km away separated by a huge body of water. There is nothing historic in the area (or at least that anyone could claim would be affected by this). No protected views, no views of anything really bar water which this won't block. Look at The Prism Building. 70 metres (only a small bit smaller than this) and it only has one real objection - An Taisce (*pretends to be shocked*). In general it seems Cork isn't opposed to high rise or tall(er) buildings. This should sail through planning

Even look at Horgan's Quay. 11 storey residential and 9 storey office. Essentially right next to a load of two storey houses, right next to the city centre (arguably part of the city centre), meanwhile the only objection about height was An Taisce (and even they didn't seem to care that much). Another example being Sullivans's Quay (12 storeys, 47 metres). In an ACA, an extremely old part of Cork, surrounded by 2-4 storey buildings (mostly 2), will be highly visible throughout the city centre and yet it was approved by Cork City Council and An Bord Pleanala (the inspector even spoke really well of the height)

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Developers reveal plans to build 25-storey apartment block in Cork City
The proposed 25-storey skyscraper exceeds the maximum height limit as defined in the Cork City Development Plan. However, this was redesigned from an initial 19-storey proposal after meetings with An Bord Pleanala and Cork City Council in the interests of the 'achievement of the optimum architectural solution' for the site, according to the application.

The submission deadline for the Mahon scheme is August 3 with a decision due by October 10.
Also:
25-storey apartment block planned for Mahon

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Some of the comments from the Irish Examiner Facebook post about it:

Doesn't matter what joe public thinks... the wheels get greased and the developer gets what he/she wants... it was ever thus, and it wont change anytime soon.
Didnt they already tear down all the old flats around the city so now they build more WELL DONE
Corks version of the Ballymun Flats!! This will just be the start of more developments like this.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts