Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 308 Posts

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
https://youtu.be/vyF8RoZ4sgE

This looks incredible. I am in love with the design of the buildings, the public space, the planned uses, the height and especially how it looks next to Horgan's Quay. What's most exciting is that they plan to start it as soon as permission is granted. Which is likely to prove true with how quickly they built The Capitol, 85 South Mall and One Albert Quay. That area is going to be completely transformed. I also love how they integrated Penrose House, I assume that will be the town hall building? This is so exciting. Also, judging off the video, the building facing Alfred Street is 9 storeys, not 8.

Judging off how Horgan's Quay went objection wise, this will likely go through just fine considering it is right next to it. The only issue for Horgan's Quay was the Port of Cork appeal, but that was dealt with quickly. Now we just need the 40 storey to go ahead so we can get some more apartments in the area

·
Registered
186 Posts
A bit too generic, Dublin style shoe-box if you ask me. I had high hopes for Cork docklands considering there was a good bit of nice architecture proposed in the past.
I don't really have anything against this project except I think it's more suited for the second row from the waterfront, not the first.
Dont think there was ever plans for anything a bit more exciting on the North Docks? Certainly no plans for high rise or anything of the like which means it was always going to be confined to what it could do. With Horgans Quay next to it I think it suits the area, will completely transform an often forgotten part of town.

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
A bit too generic, Dublin style shoe-box if you ask me. I had high hopes for Cork docklands considering there was a good bit of nice architecture proposed in the past.
I don't really have anything against this project except I think it's more suited for the second row from the waterfront, not the first.
too many old conservative men impose their taste on Irish development unfortunately

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
I agree about the side facing the river, however I think the sides facing Alfred Street and Railway Street look great and aren't generic at all

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I had high hopes for Cork docklands considering there was a good bit of nice architecture proposed in the past.
I wouldn't consider this site part of Corks Docklands. This is more like a brown field site that happens to be beside the river. The blank canvas is on the other side of the river and that's where the majority of development will take place. Hopefully large office space projects like this happening now will lead to more residential units being built in the Docklands in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'll clarify myself.
Penrose Quay will look way better if this gets built, that's for sure.
On the other hand, in the light of proposals like the docklands tower, event center, Anderson's Quay, Prism etc. I was expecting a bit more innovative and bolder design for the future buildings on the riverfront.

One Albert Quay, Navigation Square, Horgan's quay and now Penrose Quay are all the same type glass box office developments of similar height. Last thing I want for Cork architecture is to become uniformed in such a bland way. I do agree that the side fronting the Horgan's quay looks way better and it's a pity that's not the side facing the river.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mediocre is the word that springs to mind. The most interesting part of this development will be the old Cork Steam Packet building. I think high-rise is what will set Cork apart in the long run.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
I also wish Pentose Dock 2 was facing the water instead of Penrose Dock 1. Its the same with Horgan's Quay in a way, the best office building (no. 3) is facing the public plaza instead of the river. However, I would still consider this much more ambitious than a regular building in (the south) Dublin Docklands. This reminds me a lot of Dublin Landings with the public plaza and sharp design. It's also something not important but I love font of the name, it's very classy.

As others have pointed out, this isn't in the Docklands really. As well as that, Penrose Quay, Albert Quay, Lapp's Quay both face the city centre island, where due to it being split, the river isn't very wide. Seven storeys on those quays and other city centre quays will appear much taller than they would in Dublin Docklands, or after the city centre island ends (in the 'real' Docklands), i.e. Horgan's Quay and Kennedy Quay. Also, nine storeys might not mean much in Dublin, but ignoring buildings which have only been proposed/not under construction, it will be the third tallest in the city

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
JCD Unveils a €125m office plan for Cork City Docklands, JCD Press Room

One Penrose Dock will be located on the river with a net lettable area of 78,000 sq ft, while Two Penrose Dock will be located on the north of the site next to the new pedestrian entrance to Kent Station and will have a net lettable area of 160,000 sq ft.

A key feature of the buildings’ design will be large column-less floor plates, which will allow for panoramic views of both the harbour and the city. The development will also have a double basement with space for 160 cars and a 10,500 sq ft gym. A large space for hosting events and conferences will also be incorporated into the scheme, along with a coffee shop and wine bar/restaurant.

Penrose Dock is being designed to achieve the Platinum LEED standard, the first office building outside of Dublin to do so. Located adjacent to Kent Station, the €125m scheme will be seen as another key contributor to the long-awaited regeneration and development of Cork’s Docklands.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Plans submitted. No documents yet, although the description confirms the buildings are seven and nine storeys (or, as said there, six and eight over ground floor). Decision due on July 19th :)
That's fantastic news! There are a couple of big decisions for Cork at the end of July with this development, The Prism and the appeal on Sullivans Quay all due. One would imagine that this will have the easiest time of the three.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Files are up. Penrose Dock 1 will be similar/the same height as Navigation Square, while Penrose Dock 2 will be similar/the same height as the 11 storey residential block at Horgan's Quay. Due to the Metropole Hotel and Horgan's Quay, it won't really be visible (in full) from most places, however they all really compliment eachother :)

The gym is below ground while the café(s) is/are on the ground floors. As Penrose House is occupied, only external work will be done. It seems public parking on Railway Street will be removed, as well :)

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Four submissions have been made so far.

- The Department of Culture said the heights are against the Development Plan and that the iconicness of Penrose House will be ruined by the height. It is a great building but it's barely two storeys, any new building built there would obviously be much bigger than it
- A random person said the city needs to buy up all these warehouses that are being knocked down. They said their part of history and blah blah blah. They also mentioned the 40 storey changing the face of Cork. This submission probably won't be read more than once by the council.
- The owners of the building next to it want to make sure that it doesn't affect their future development potential
- The occupiers of the building next to it (Oxford International) don't want their work (which is all done over phones) being affected by construction work.

Decision due in a little over two weeks. An Taisce obviously will submit some issue they have with it but hopefully that is all so this can get permission and we can see demolition starting in September/October :)

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Any news on the development.
Further information requested :) Here are the important/noteworthy requests:

1. Alfred Street is becoming an important street as it links MacCurtain Street to Kent Train Station. The council want all dead use/plant/services moved from the Alfred Street elevation to the new laneway to the western part of the site.

2. The council want the Penrose Quay side of Block A to be more open to the public. "Block A effectively turns its back on the riverside.. the use of the ground floor should be amended to allow for a use with public access to both enliven the street front and take full advantage of the views..". They said that this can be done by adding a coffee shop or restaurant. There is already a coffee shop facing the central plaza in Block B. I wonder if they will relocate it or add a new coffee shop/a restaurant.

3. In order not to disrupt the future BRT/LRT corridor, the entrance to underground car park should be moved from Alfred Street to Railway Street

Also, Pat Ledwidge saving the day again in terms of height, like with The Prism Building. In his report, he seemed to get rid of the senior executive planner's requests re: height. "In assessing the visual impact, the fact that a structure is visible in a view is not necessarily a negative impact". I like how so far all of the Docklands areas have a tall building with them. One Albert Quay and Navigation Square have The Elysian, the Lapp's Quay buildings will have The Prism Building and Penrose Quay/Horgan's Quay will have the 42m (or so) residential block in Horgan's Quay and Block B in Penrose Quay :)

1 - 20 of 308 Posts