Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Submitted for planning according to The Evening Echo (although I can't find it..)

Planning granted for Patrick's Street tourist office
...Separately a planning application has been lodged with Cork City Council for a 73-bed hotel to be built on MacCurtain Street.

McCurtain Street Hoteliers Ltd wants to build the hotel at the site known as ‘The Windsor Inn’, 54-55 MacCurtain Street, on the corner of MacCurtain Street and York Street.

The proposed development will comprise of the part demolition of the existing structures, the construction of a part 5, part 6, part 7 and part 8 storey over basement hotel and a bar facility on the ground floor with an external courtyard.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally added to E-Plan, although no files up yet

Permission is sought by MacCurtain Street Hoteliers Ltd for a development. The proposed development will comprise of: (1) the part demolition of the existing structures on the site of 546.07sqm; (2) the construction of a part 5, part 6, part 7 and part 8 storey over basement guest accommodation facility (of 73 rooms providing 90 bedspaces) with an overall area of 1,949m2; (3) the provision of a public bar facility on the ground floor with an external courtyard, and (4) all necessary site works, not limited but including ancillary works

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Files are up. It is quite nice, but no way will it not be reduced in height. I also don't think that is a bad thing, it looks fine at five (maybe six) storeys and fits in very well to MacCurtain Street, but unlike the Metropole, eight storeys just looks way too tall in most of the renders. It sticks out like a sore thumb. It is being described as a 'city sleeper' hotel, with no parking due to its proximity to the train station, bus station, airport and St Patrick's Quay.

I love tall buildings but they have to fit in. I thought eight might look fine since nine looks great for the Metropole, but for this.. it just looks so tall compared to everything else, especially with how narrow the site is, and the design of the upper floors isn't the best..

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Surprisingly, this got the go ahead.. with no reudctons in height? Unless I am reading the first files wrong, but it seems they just said to omit the upper floor balconies or something. I am really surprised, I expected this to get cut in half or else refused. I wouldn’t be surprised if this got appealed as two residents next to it objected to it (the sole objections, if I remember right)

Hopefully this is good news for the taller Metropole hotel!

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Decision appealed by three people living directly behind the site. Their objection during the initial planning was based on three grounds - height, noise from the courtyard and traffic during construction. I can understand there issue with the height, their houses are only 5/6m away from the building and it is a very narrow street. As I already said, I love tall buildings but even I thought in the renders that it seemed really tall for the area. I wouldn't be against An Bord Pleanala cutting off a floor or two at the back so long as it is still viable. I am less sympathetic about noise as they live right next to MacCurtain Street, which is essentially the city centre and the street is probably the most nightlife-heavy street outside of Washington Street

·
Registered
165 Posts
Decision appealed by three people living directly behind the site. Their objection during the initial planning was based on three grounds - height, noise from the courtyard and traffic during construction. I can understand there issue with the height, their houses are only 5/6m away from the building and it is a very narrow street. As I already said, I love tall buildings but even I thought in the renders that it seemed really tall for the area. I wouldn't be against An Bord Pleanala cutting off a floor or two at the back so long as it is still viable. I am less sympathetic about noise as they live right next to MacCurtain Street, which is essentially the city centre and the street is probably the most nightlife-heavy street outside of Washington Street
There should be a ban on complaints on height, noise and traffic in the inner city if you ask me. It's the city center, those are common and expected. Don't like it, move out to countryside.

·
22,405 Posts
There should be a ban on complaints on height, noise and traffic in the inner city if you ask me. It's the city center, those are common and expected. Don't like it, move out to countryside.
General noise itself is not an issue for most people living in the city, it eventually fades into the background. The issue is 'excessive' noise which no one should have to put up with no matter where they live and should rightly be addressed.

·
Registered
165 Posts
General noise itself is not an issue for most people living in the city, it eventually fades into the background. The issue is 'excessive' noise which no one should have to put up with no matter where they live and should rightly be addressed.
Agree on that.
Excessive noise can be measured and dealt with accordingly. There are rules and regulations in place and if it's done with for example industrial plants on the outskirts, there's no reason it can't be done with hotel in the city.
No reason to obstruct the construction due to potential noise that doesn't even exist yet and it might not exist at all.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The issue with noise is the courtyard. According to Google Maps they are about five metres away so I can see the complaint. I can also understand the height. They are on Little William Street which is a very narrow almost alleyway. All light would be completely blocked by it. Even ignoring that, as I said, it doesn't look good that tall in the renders. It genuinely does look out of place and tall for the sake of being tall. Even if it was cut two storeys I think that it would make a huge difference

·
Registered
165 Posts
... it doesn't look good that tall in the renders. It genuinely does look out of place and tall for the sake of being tall. Even if it was cut two storeys I think that it would make a huge difference
I can't find any renders online. If you have them, could you please post them here so we can all see.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can't find any renders online. If you have them, could you please post them here so we can all see.
Go to the scanned files, they can be seen on pages 23 and 24 of the design statement
http://planning.corkcity.ie/AppFileRefDetails/1737657/0

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think the building is way too tall, especially when the blank gable wall becomes visible when viewing from the east. This should not have gotten permission. There are three planner reports on the website, of the two that will load this was supposed to be refused - I'll edit this post when I get the third one viewed to see why they changed their mind and if they made any cuts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Personally I don't think it's too tall - it's not massively taller than the neighbouring buildings - rather the issue is the newly exposed elevations are stupefyingly bland.

Sorry, but this is my pet gripe again. Why do developers treat the upper walls & roof as afterthoughts, instead of the most visible part of the building? I actually think they've done an ok job on the McCurtain St. elevation, but as you say the new floors showing from the East side are.... meh.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts