Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 491 Posts

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Prism Building will be a 15 storey office building on a triangle site bounded by Deane Street, Clontarf Street and Lower Oliver Plunkett Street. There will be two basement levels, although from the description of the plans from the notice (files have not been uploaded yet), they will only be for ancillary plant, equipment and a water tank. The ground floor will contain a lobby, office rooms and building services. The first floor to fourteenth floor will be offices, while the fifteenth floor will be a staff roof top terrace. From the third floor up to the roof terrace, the building will overhang the public footpath on Lower Oliver Plunkett Street and Clontarf Street by around 2 metres. No mention on the official building height in metres yet, however I will update this post when they are uploaded to EPlan :) A decision is due on the 10th of July.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Judging off the picture in the Cork thread, it looks 16 storeys. 9 storeys was granted on that site back in 2006 (0529658). If you go to the Photographs file, you can see a (really bad) picture of the building from Eglinton Street. 9 storeys looks great with the long, straight street and behind 6 Lapps Quay :D It will look even better nearly 10 storeys taller and when you include The Elysian in that view

·
Registered
182 Posts
Great. Cork is really showing the way forward, Dublin is beyond a joke at this stage when it comes to height and planning.

The developers share responsibility for the lack of height in Dublin too. Ronan made it too easy for planners to reject with such an underwhelming proposal. The Exo and Capital Dock could have both been higher and were subject to an easier planning pathway and yet the designers have come up short. Even Bolands Quay could have gone higher.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
CORK | The Prism | Potential High Rise Proposal

The developers share responsibility for the lack of height in Dublin too. Ronan made it too easy for planners to reject with such an underwhelming proposal. The Exo and Capital Dock could have both been higher and were subject to an easier planning pathway and yet the designers have come up short. Even Bolands Quay could have gone higher.

Bolands couldn’t? It couldn’t breach the imaginary roofline between Millenium Tower, Alto Vetro and Google Docks. As stated by the overlords in DCC. Also, it’s NAMA that we can blame for the Exo, if Ronan has his hands on that site we’d have seen Tara Tower there and it’d have been approved too.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If this is built it could look huge given the close surroundings and the small space they have to work with. From certain angles the Elysian looks blocky and not that tall, but then from other sides (coming from Parnell Place, Victoria Rd) it looks huge, way bigger than 17 stories. The Prism will be nice and thin from all angels so will give the illusion of being bigger than 15 stories. If built.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't wait to see official renders and the rest of the planning files! I also like how the article called the area "Downtown Cork", instead of Cork Docklands (which will make it always feel lesser to Dublin Docklands). Plus, it seems likely now that high-rise (by Irish standards) is what the city council and most of the city population want, so using Downtown could give it an American vibe :D

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yes, that area of Cork will look very well with the proposals in place.
Rich feeling.
Delighted for the place. If they are going to call it Downtown Cork then I guess they could abbreviate it to D.C.... I'll get my coat.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I passed by this triangular site this evening. It has in fairness a small enough foot print. I feel for a 15-17 story building, the lift shafts and stairwells will take up a much greater portion of each floor area, than normal. For such a height, you would probably need two lifts minimum, together with the standard wrap around access stairs and possibly an emergency stairwell. That said, it would be great to see it getting the go ahead, especially for such a unique prominent site.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I can't wait to see official renders and the rest of the planning files! I also like how the article called the area "Downtown Cork", instead of Cork Docklands (which will make it always feel lesser to Dublin Docklands). Plus, it seems likely now that high-rise (by Irish standards) is what the city council and most of the city population want, so using Downtown could give it an American vibe :D

They could stick with the theme and name parts of the city after the ethnic populations there. Kerrytown, Little Waterford etc

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just looked at it on Google Street View.. it's tiny. I don't know how they are going to get offices out of it. It looked around twice the length of a bus. However, they wouldn't be doing it if they weren't sure it would work :)

1 - 20 of 491 Posts