SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 1668 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s the thoughts here, some media outlets are doing well to dramatise the spread, 4 cases now confirmed in Australia, a lot of ‘breaking news’ updates with every new confirmed case.

·
Registered
511 Posts
The media are doing their usual over dramatisation......though the Chinese are doing some pretty drastic things on this one to try to stop its spread.........its a bit more unnerving than SARS a decade or so ago ........or the EBOLA outbreaks in Africa.

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
2,996 Posts
reddit says wechat says, burwood, eastwood and rhodes!

·
Environmental Busybody
8,296 Posts
It could turn out quite nasty. A bit more than the usual seasonal flu.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah bit more nasty then the usual seasonal flu, but i think there’s a little bit of hysteria about it at the moment.. My partner works at a school with Chinese students from Wuhan province, and teachers and parents have sending emails, some anonymously expressing concern and naming students who have travelled to that province in recent months.

·
Environmental Busybody
8,296 Posts
There is a discussion about it international threads - https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2237636

Not sure it is overhyped actually. Better to be worried than not. There is no vaccine for coronaviruses - the illusive cure for the common cold. You don't usually die from common cold though, like is the case for this one. They don't seem to know what the death rate is yet either, other than higher than normal flu.

·
Environmental Busybody
8,296 Posts
It sounds like the gestation is 1-2 weeks. The condition was contained within Wuhan market area until recently. Would have thought someone visiting months ago would be safe. Though can see how paranoia would spring up in a school community.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hysteria, fear mongering and dramatising leads to people and groups being unfairly targeted though, the fact an adult created a false email account to email about someone else’s child at the school just goes to show how a lack of information can raise issues.

·
Environmental Busybody
8,296 Posts
Yeah, same old story. An excuse to bring out those things festering below the surface.

·
WARREN
7,916 Posts

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
2,996 Posts
^^ railway square?

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
So as the doctors haven't made a vaccine yet for this virus, I'm gonna have to take the one last option to make myself immune. That is today, on Straya Day, I'm going to drink a whole slab of Coronas, straight up without lime, to make myself immune from the Corona virus.
You poor deluded fool. The only way to avoid this is to drive around in a Toyota Corona.

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
2,996 Posts
Driving around in a Toyota Corona whilst drunk on Coronas = totally vaccinated against Coronavirus :yes:

Uncle did you have to time travel and steal my idea

·
Environmental Busybody
8,296 Posts
Is actually looking like a serious situation now. Unlike SARS this one is transmissible during the incubation period, which is also longer than SARS. Which means it already could be latent in the community.

1 - 20 of 1668 Posts