Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 2296 Posts

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
I find it difficult to get my head around the fact that our government is proposing to charge families $1,000 per child to evacuate 140 Australian children stuck in Wuhan to Christmas Island where they will be quarantined for two weeks. Not sure also what the islanders think about this along with the Biloela family who are incarcerated there either. Are other Nations charging their citizens?

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Everything should come free from that magical government money tree.
Now who here is suggesting anything like that, so after Dutton goes on TV and announces yep the families will have to pay $1000 for the evacuation Josh Frydenberg said the Government would not be seeking to recover the cost of the Qantas flights from China to Christmas Island. Are you going to be sending a letter of complaint now to the government about how the government is making everything free from its magical money tree? Gosh those stranded children are a huge burden in your life.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Looks like they have increased the mortality rate now to 3% the toilet paper thing is a bit silly but the concern for those on the front line is the shortage of masks. A work mate of mine said his elderly parents came back from an overseas trip the other day and started to get flu like symptoms and the doctors surgery would not see them and they went to the hospital and they were made to sit in the car park for 4 hours. Not sure then we our that geared up for this.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
I think the overriding message with this, is not to overly worry about it. Mortality rates, which are not high to start with for most age groups, will drop over time as more data comes in. I suspect it will fall under 1% in time. For most people it only doubles the risk they have of dying from a flu, so you know, no need to stockpile bog rolls, the world ain't ending anytime soon.
For the majority of the general public be more vigilant with common sense hygiene and think about the much greater risk to health workers and the elderly.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Should spend less focus about statistics of mild cases and focus on protecting the more vulnerable like health workers, those with underlying illnesses and the elderly. That is something not to be played down.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
A lot of the fear is irrational and based on uncertainty. We have seen today the Australian stock market fall 6%, price of oil crashing and it all feeds on to itself. I think the health minister Greg Hunt has done as best as he can but this 14 day self isolation when you get flu like symptoms will be a big test coming into our Winter. A lot of people don't have sick leave or social contacts to help them. What will we do if Doctors and health workers can't see their patients?

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
What is obvious to me in times of crisis is how people use it to push their agenda. Was evident in the bushfire crisis and now with corona virus. I’m just surprised the climatariat doomsayers haven’t yet linked corona to climate, but I’m sure they’re working on finding a link however minute it may be.
Or perhaps we should be surprised there is not yet the link from climatariat denialists saying both the corona virus outbreak and climate change is linked to a Global Leftist conspiracy, but I’m sure they’re working on finding a link however minute and crazy it may be. :)

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Anything bad = climate change did it. It’s getting very boring now. It’s turning people off the cause.
Not seeing a lot of evidence that people are turning off trying to deal with climate change. Sure there is a few outspoken denialists getting a good run with backing by the powerful Murdoch media empire etc but I am seeing many governments, many in the private sector and individuals still invested.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Not seeing a lot of evidence yet of dire impacts from climate change that we need to destroy our current exports and industry while giving $billions to a transnational unaccountable bureaucratic organisation to sprinkle throughout the world.
Don't see evidence that Iron ore, coal and gas exports being destroyed. I see evidence that investment in new cleaner technologies are creating jobs and investment opportunities. I am also not seeing much evidence of the Australian Government wasting away billions on climate change action. The Corona Virus is having an negative impact on the world economy that is becoming pretty clear.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Yeah agreed, the government is holding firm and not throwing taxpayers money away. Lucky they got voted in.
Giving tax cuts to their rich corporate mates and throwing taxpayers money at pork barreling coalition seats not my idea of good governance and they might want to start showing some leadership as they have been behind the eight ball on bush fire relief aid , energy,climate change policies and slow to react on how to deal with Corona virus. We will see how they go in next few weeks.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Unfortunately though past governments have, to the tunes of $60 billion in RET's, LRET's, REC's and CET's by 2030. All for what, a compromised grid. Yesterday I had a look at the AEMO site for QLD on what was a rainy, low windy day and coal and gas generation was well over 90%. Yeah zero by 2050:eek:hno:
Some say it is to help the planet from the effects of climate change but yes governments and private sector investments must be more savvy and understand the complexity of the changing energy mix. Better planning required so that when QLD has a rainy, low windy day then extra interconnectors, pumped hydro, interstate renewables, batteries even nuclear can play apart.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
I think the concern about having to be quarantined for 14+ days is a bigger concern for most people rather than dying - especially if you have a job that requires you to be on-site, casually employed or have kids in school
I think that is why we are seeing the panic buying and the public see what is happening in Italy and China. There is little confidence that Governments have this under control.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Yes the real concerns are the death toll rate in the elderly and those with underlying illnesses and how health systems will cope. Posted this still in the international skybar thread as to what the Globe faces.

A still from inside the Cremona hospital in Italy

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Yep, the impacts of corona virus will be long lasting and wide.

And the virus itself relatively mild, so it’s a massive wake up call and I think it has finally hit home the sovereign risk associated with global trade, especially having most of manufacturing coming from one country who also happen to be your biggest competitor who cannot be trusted, and is classed strategically as your enemy.
Nah I don't see China as necessarily the enemy or our biggest competitor. We do need to be wary of its future dominance and influence and try to understand the different values and culture. Australia is a major trading nation and derives much of its wealth from exports to China pity we don't value add more and yes seek greater diversification.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
I was referring to the US, but we closely align with them strategically, so the points are still relevant.

You may not class China as an enemy or a threat, but the US and Australian military certainly do.
There are many potential threats and potential rivalries but also opportunities yes certain interests in both the American and Australian military are certainly wary and there has been Chinese political influence in various sectors of Australian society. Trump sees them as a rival pity he seems to treat his Allies in NATO as rivals too and shrugs of Russian interference. We have strong economic ties with China the corona virus will hit trade hard. We got to find a way of getting along if we are forced to pick and choose sides methinks we will all be stuffed.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Unfortunately F1 cancellations and toilet paper hoarding is nothing compared to choices now faced by Italian health with deciding because their IC units have been overwhelmed and they do not have enough ventilators who's Grandma is left to die.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
You can't live your life in fear. Go about your daily life and switch off main stream media. (you will be a lot happier thats for sure )
Unfortunately if going about your daily life involves visiting Grandma, being close to members of the community with diabetes or cardiovascular issues your mild symptoms have given them a high chance of death or serious health consequences.

1 - 20 of 2296 Posts