Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Nonsense. I've seen this crap parroted about by Melburnians (claiming that it's all Sydney's fault because of the curfew), but with no real evidence to back it up.
Air Services Australia Monthly Movement report shows aircraft movements for the major airports. I don't think the May report has been released so these numbers are for the month of April 2020.

1. Perth ==> 5,914
2. Brisbane ==> 4,514
3. Sydney ==> 4,358
4. Adelaide ==> 2,854
5. Melbourne ==> 2,426

Perth and Brisbane have become the busiest capital city airports. It should be noted that most of this movement in those airports is due to intrastate travel with FIFO making a large part of that. Melbourne being a smaller state, geographically speaking, has very little reliance on air-travel for intrastate purposes.

When you focus only on larger aircraft types (of which most of the international arrivals are) then the mix looks like this

1. Sydney ==> 1,744
2. Melbourne ==> 748
3. Brisbane ==> 262
3. Perth ==> 262
5. Adelaide ==> 6

This is aircraft movements only and does not reflect passenger numbers or load factors on those flights and would also include freight only flights too.

Regardless, the argument that there are less flight movements to Sydney (and adding to Melbourne's) because of the curfew are incorrect.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Funnily enough, the research states that Melbourne residents were taking the distancing etc. more seriously as a whole than residents in any other state. We still, on the whole, are.
I heard that today. Was interesting discussion on ABC. That if it had have happened in other states, the outcome would have been worse.
My personal experience is a bit different to this sentiment to be honest.

In March when the lockdown first started i packed my bags and left Melbourne to head back home to Sydney to work remotely and lockdown with my older parents. Whilst in Sydney i observed that most people were adhering to the new rules. on the most part in the areas I was in.Traffic was light, PT was empty, grandkids were staying away from grandparents.

I spent almost three months there before deciding to return back to Melbourne as it seemed that everything was opening up again. I admit towards the end of my time in Sydney when restrictions were starting to ease it seemed like people were letting their guard down a bit too much in shopping centres etc. (I am led to believe that this has gotten worse since i left)

I got back to Melbourne in late June just as this 2nd wave was showing first signs of life and I was quite surprised at how relaxed and restriction-free people seemed to be acting. Cafes were busy, people in supermarkets were not observing social distancing. I live in Brunswick and it honestly felt like there was no restrictions at all.

I am not so sure where this perspective about Melburnians being more careful or observant than other parts of the country came from as I did not see that in my day to day experiences.

·
Registered
620 Posts
You worry as if we are all dropping dead down here. Today we had 2 80+ year olds and a 100+ year old pass away. Locking up 20% of the population of this country for a case fatality rate as displayed below is nuts (given 80% of those dying have co-morbidities )
Throughout this pandemic i have heard these arguments all the time:- "Why lockdown the country when its only old people who die?'

Leaving aside the ethical debate of sacrificing one part of the population to save the another, I thiink its important to remember that the lockdowns are as much about protecting our health care system and most importantly its frontline more than anything.

If the virus gets out of control, it wont take long for the health care system to get entirely overwhelmed. As infections rise, its natural that infections amongst frontline healthcare workers will also increase. This leads to the need to remove more health workers from work and relying on a smaller pool of workers for a growing demand of infections. In turn the healthy ones get overworked and succumb to exhaustion which in turn leads to more illness.

The experiences of Italy are something i would never want our health care system to go through where health professionals in their hundreds were killed by this virus. How many decades/centuries of medical expertise is that?
Melbourne's health system is already showing some signs of strain with infected workers numbering over 50 now (that's the workforce size of a small hospital), and aged care workers working across multiple facilities and potentially spreading it further that way.

Importantly, if you were a politician and presided over something as catastrophic as watching your healthcare system snap under the pressure what do you think your chances are of re-election? Dan Andrews is getting a roasting over the hotel quarantine fiasco so I could just imagine the bloodletting that would be called for, should he (or any other state premier for that fact) allow the health system to fall into a situation anywhere near Italy's.

So aside from preventing deaths, the lockdowns could be argued to be just as much about protecting the health care system and even about self-preservation for the politicians in charge.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I actually think the QLD government has done pretty good. Its not perfect (I think the current restrictions still go too far in some instances given the low case numbers in QLD and the evidence about how and where those cases came from) but its still better than what the LNP were calling for and likely would have done (i.e. all the calls to relax restrictions and re-open borders)

Certainly QLD has done better than Gladys down in NSW (who because she happens to be on team blue and not team red seems to get free pass from the media for any and all mistakes in that state unlike QLD or Victoria).
In my opinion AP has become rather smug and arrogant.

It is easy to suppress a virus by creating hard borders when you have no community transmission. Grandstanding and lecturing the southern states about how to do it when, at that time, it was the southern states taking the majority of the returned travelers. It wasn't until the second wave that the southern states demanded a fairer distribution.

Absolutely no remorse from AP about denying emergency medical treatment to people just south of the border (when under non-COVID conditions that's where they would go) and as I understand it, that denial even causing death. The idea that anyone south of the border under covid is treated as a foreign alien in their own country speaks volumes about how parochial and narrowly focused she is on winning the election. And of course QLDers are loving it.

Then as a final slap in the face, AP welcomes 400 AFL officials and their families, from Victoria no less, with media and photo opportunities to get herself in the papers and social media streams - all to show QLD how great she is at securing a grand final event.

I see every action AP makes related to covid as just another step to secure a win at the next election and the commonwealth for Australians is being sacrificed to make that a reality.

The federation is in ruins. It's state against state now.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'm getting seriously annoyed at how the press is portraying WA, including ABC. The increasing number of blonde big haired presenters on there is alarming and indicative as well, what a conservative cliche.

They're making out it's only because it's politically expedient that McGowan govt. is pursuing the response they have. Instead of the fact that they put it into place before they knew what the public reaction would be.

We're used to not having our existence acknowledged, but to only acknowledge us to snipe and bitch in this case is beyond the pale. A simple 'well done WA' might have been nice. For protecting the one industry that is doing well, mining, which might just be our nation's economic lifeline. Instead it's portrayed that WA is destroying the economy by keeping it's borders closed. Calling us parochial etc. Fcuk off!

Been not saying anything for weeks, but the endless voices saying the same thing. What an awful nation we're becoming.
Well done WA!

I am not against border closures and can see the benefit it has created from an intrastate perspective in some states. I understand why WA closed its borders and why QLD has done so and believe NSW made the right decision at the time for closing its border with Victoria even though that one has significantly affected me on a personal level which I am trying to sort through.

However, just as you are offended at the “parochial” commentary, I am equally dismayed by the smugness and hypocrisy I see emanating from one particular non-Covid state. Queensland. I said it before but denying emergency medical attention to people in the NSW/QLD borderlands causing death while at the same time holding press conferences and photo opportunities as 400 Victorian AFL officials and their families are welcomed into the state for a football match is the height of hypocrisy.

By all means close your borders if that’s what medical advice says will protect your community and economy, but we can do without the downright smug hypocrisy at the expense of the “covid” states.

So in light of my own perspective I would like to echo your sentiment and say ‘What a horrible nation we are becoming” however I don’t know what that word “nation’ means anymore in the context of Australia when it seems to be each state for itself.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Aww, thanks, needs the old hug emoji.

We haven't heard that much about Queensland here. It's rather a no-win situation though. You let people in people will die of covid. You don't let anyone in, some people may die of other things. There is no winning with this virus, it gets you coming and going. If Queensland let people in and the virus got loose, that would just provide different fresh blood for the right wing nutjobs on here that pounce on everyone coming and going if it suits. I'm not sure its a situation they could win either way. But yes, the AFL... Where was everyone when they were in the press whining and carrying on like spoilt brats? They're only quiet now because they got their way.

The whole AFL thing is another story altogether about us as a nation. No one else would be allowed to do what they've done. The womens league who needed it most are dead in the water. But you know, the cream of Australia, entitled, privileged, who not being used to being told no for anything, whinged and whined until they got their way. After which they regularly proceeded to flout the privilege by repeatedly breaching the agreed rules.

It's the federal government stirring the pot with the states. Instead of saying 'how can we work together so that we can open up', it's 'open up, open up for the economy, now'. And no one really responded to my comment about why Morrison isn't being harangued in the same way about the international border? Apart from the comment on people stuck overseas, though they actually complain about getting home. I'm talking about the equivalent of what Morrison is asking the states, opening the border to international travel.
I appreciate that need to restrict the movement of people to stop the spread and i said before i am not against border controls but there seems to be no negotiation when it comes to QLD at all. We are talking about communities on the borderlands that really see themselves as one and now they are split in half. The only solution the QLD premier offered early on was really just more muck-raking political plays by saying 'lets move the border south". As if that is a that is realistic solution to Gladys if she wants to keep her job. That's the smug politics that infuriates me when we are talking people's lives and livelihoods here.

Contrast that to Gladys. Ruby Princess aside, I take my hat off to the NSW government as they seem to have learnt from early mistakes. They have worked with Dan Andrews to have special conditions for people on the NSW/VIC borderlands to try and ease impacts to their lives. When in reality the risk for infection spread is much greater coming from that border than the one with QLD - yet AP just continues the parochial politicking.

And people might scoff, but i think kudos should go to NSW. When the outbreak from Victoria first hit SW Sydney early July i honestly thought that NSW would follow the same path as Victoria but its now almost 10 weeks since then and new cases keep on being contained to no more than 17/18 per day maximum and most often in the single digits. As clusters form they seem to get on top of it and smother it quick. Testing rates are very high too and all done without enforcing harsher restrictions. NSW is truly trying to live with the virus and showing it can be done. The test will be of course is this sustainable into the longer term or will faitgue set in?

·
Registered
620 Posts
This man (Andrews) literally wants to gag you and your children and is ordering them to breathe fabric instead of fresh air, stop them seeing friends, stop them seeing family, ruin their education. The idea that that's for the 'good of the people' just shows how brainwashed you are, and how deeply you identify with Andrews as a sort of 'father figure'. That's fine but I don't know why the rest of us have to participate in your Freudian nightmare.
I don't want my children growing up in a society where the government physically gags them under the threat of violence. The regime should be resisted and undermined as much as possible to politically destroy everyone involved and tarnish their legacies for generations.
Your “baying for Dan’s blood” hysterics on this thread has reached a new fever-pitch level, to be honest. Your theory seems to argue that Dan’s ultimate aim is “mind-control” and to create a tyrannical state, whilst at the same time painting him as a bumbling incompetent fool. Seems rather far-fetched to be honest.

So much rage in the New Corp papers and Sky News about Andrews but where was all the outrage about the violation of our civil liberties when past successive governments have been incrementally introducing increased surveillance and detention laws all in the name of National Security for the last 20 years? It is now mandatory for privately owned telecommunications companies to maintain a database of their customers’ activities and conversations “in case the government needs to refer to it in the future”. Instilling fear in the population about the (relatively small) threat of terrorism so that the people peacefully acquiesce their rights.

Where is the media shit-storm and the forum-fighters arguing against Howard’s, Abbot’s and Turnbull’s legacy in this space? These laws are way more sinister than being forced to wear a piece of fabric in public. These violations of our basic human rights are here forever, yet I hear no detractors whatsoever.

Is it only a violation of civil liberties if Dan Andrews does it? Hypocrisy at its finest.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Job Keeper and Job seeker payments would have helped with financial stress so it was good to see the Morrison Government direct some of our tax payers money and borrowings to those most in need. So it looks like Gladys has created a leper like colony north of the Narrabeen bridge in Sydney to help manage the virus outbreak. They will be in strict lockdown over Christmas. Another change is that all hospitality venues and hairdressers would be required to use the NSW Government QR code system. The Gold Standard NSW is having a few issues but hopefully they can keep on top of things. Meanwhile apparently the below standard WA with no covid in the community for over 8 months and few restrictions compared to NSW will have a pretty much normal Christmas so touch wood there will be no new outbreaks. Other good news SA has nearly done its 28 days with no community cases so well done to them and that means the SA and WA border will be open on Christmas day.
Who declared that WA is “below standard”. I have never heard that from anyone. I have heard “overly cautious” but never “below standard” so keen to hear where that is coming from. It’s not below standard from what I have read and heard about it.

Also, maybe my sensitivities are heightened but I am reading quite a bit of confused sarcasm directed towards NSW in your post. I could be wrong but why the covert disdain cloaked in “hope that they keep on top of things”? Why the need to use such negative commentary like “leper-like-colony” when other states have also used such identical restrictions in past outbreaks. I am quite perplexed because your posts in the past with outbreaks in other states like Victoria have advocated for such measures.

This latest Northern Beaches outbreak is still playing out and could go either way especially with the complexity of the festive season upon us. At the same time the residents of NSW are genuinely behind the govt here and are proving it by way of lining up for hours to take tests in record numbers during Xmas week. Yesterday alone there were 60,184 tests carried out in the previous 24 hours with 9 new locally acquired and 9 overseas acquired cases detected. There have been nearly 250K tests in the last week alone representing about 5% of the Sydney population. That’s huge.

NSW has smashed testing numbers each day this week breaking records daily and turning results around very quickly. Speaking from experience I had 4 of my extended family members tested on Tuesday and all of them had results in less than 24 hours. All 4 of them understood and adhered to the quarantine requirement of self-isolation whilst waiting for the results and were happy to do so. This, even though we had to sadly farewell an uncle at his funeral, meaning that those 4 could not attend.

NSW Health is throwing every resource at this. I have other family members working for NSW Health right through the holiday season where extra resourcing has been applied to manage COVID. The amount of good will I see in the community towards NSW health is huge.

·
Registered
620 Posts
So keep your borders closed indefinitely then, if that makes all the states happy. Of course the feds are going to dish out grief regarding this. Apart from economic measures the feds have proven incompetent with the will of the premiers trumping the will of the PM and there's nothing Scomo can do about it except for play party politics. I dont condone it and nor do i like it but it also goes both ways - AP telling the NSW govt to cede Northern NSW to QLD and that Queensland hospitals are only for Queenslanders and not for all Australians is gutter populist politics at its best. Up there with the likes of Scomo and Abbot.

The NSW government are taking calculated risks. Hence why the testing capacity is so huge and the turnaround is so quick. Its important that people have faith in that with a quick turnaround. Its not like they are just going to Star City and taking a blind bet on the $2 slot machine. So far every outbreak has been contained and that's the risk they take. It could blow up in their face yes - but its like the rest of the country wants that to happen just so they can say "told you so".

·
Registered
620 Posts
As for the NSW risk taking that is all very subjective. If you look at how locked down the Northern Beaches is it seems to be very stringent on its targets, but allows certains leeways for other areas. If the cases rise over the next week you will see more targeted lock downs. Hopefully it doesn't get to that though.
Agreed. My comments about calculated risks came across wrong in my rush to respond. NSW have deployed huge amounts of resources and data analysis to manage this. There is a perception amongst other states that NSW is happy to have COVID running around the state...that could not be further from the truth. NSW aims for no community transmissions like every other state but its management of getting there is different to that as other states as you explain. I get the impression that other states would like the government to lockdown the whole state because of the clusters that appear in one area.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Tracking NSW Testing and Case Numbers in XMAS week. be interesting what testing looks like on Xmas Day that will be reported in tomorrows figures.

DATENSW TESTS (LAST 24 HOURS)New Locally Acquired CasesNew Overseas Acquired Cases
21/12/202038,578158
22/12/202044,466810
23/12/202041,86588
24/12/202060,18499
25/12/202069,80973

·
Registered
620 Posts
NSW COVID Tracking:
  • Xmas Day testing numbers tracked lower as expected due to the holiday but still higher than the lowest testing number of the previous 5 days.
  • Testing on Xmas day represents ~56% of Xmas Eve tests but new locally acquired cases represents ~128% of Xmas Eve

DATENSW TESTS (LAST 24 HOURS)New Locally Acquired CasesNew Overseas Acquired Cases
21/12/202038,578158
22/12/202044,466810
23/12/202041,86588
24/12/202060,18499
25/12/202069,80973
26/12/202039,13396

·
Registered
620 Posts
NSW COVID Tracking:
  • Boxing Day testing numbers lowest of the last 7 days.
  • Boxing Day identified positives from testing numbers sits at 0.029% up from 0.023% the day before and up from 0.10% on Xmas eve.

21/12/202038,578158
22/12/202044,466810
23/12/202041,86588
24/12/202060,18499
25/12/202069,80973
26/12/202039,13396
27/12/202023,93374

·
Registered
620 Posts
NSW COVID Tracking:
  • After locally acquired cases were trending down todays results reveal a sharp increase to 18. This represents ~0.1% positives amongst testing
  • Where as previous days saw the majority of positives linked to the NB cluster, only 50% of todays positives are confirmed as linked to the NB cluster. The others are under investigation.
  • Of the 18 new locally acquired cases, 6 are all members of the same extended family but their source is unknown at this stage.

21/12/202038,578158
22/12/202044,466810
23/12/202041,86588
24/12/202060,18499
25/12/202069,80973
26/12/202039,13396
27/12/202023,93374
28/12/202015,36459
29/12/202016,32936
30/12/202017,267187

·
Registered
620 Posts
NSW COVID Tracking:
  • Testing numbers increased yesterday whilst newly identified locally acquired positive cases reduced
  • Of the 10 locally acquired, 5 are linked to the Northern Beaches cluster where there are now 144 active cases
  • The main concern is the new Inner West cluster centred around an extended Croydon family which has added another 3 cases today - Inner West testing is ramping up as a result.
  • Another case is a close contact of the patient transport drivers cases previously reported.
  • The 10th case has not had its source identified and is under investigation - these unknown source cases are of the most concern for officials. If direct links to existing known sources and clusters can not be made it means the virus is circulating uncontrolled.
  • The govt has advised people to stay at home this NYE (but not necessarily mandated it) with foreshore viewing of the midnight fireworks cancelled. Red Zones established in the CBD barring people from entering the harbour foreshore areas. 3,000 police will be patrolling the foreshore areas to ensure that any congregation of people are "moved-on"
  • The Sydney NYE fireworks has been scaled down to just 7 minutes at midnight - debate continues over whether they should just be cancelled altogether.
  • Households in the greater Sydney region including Blue Mountains, Central Coast and Illawarra can have no more than 5 visitors until further notice.
  • Northern Beaches Households remain in stricter lockdown with no one allowed to leave the area or enter the area. Reports a couple of days ago of 12 people from the NB who were each fined for attending a wedding in Pyrmont which is outside the NB region. It looks like another wedding guest alerted authorities with the police presenting at the reception and asking for proof of id from guests.
  • It will be interesting how this goes over the next few days however once NYE is done with there seems to be a general belief amongst people I speak with that some sort of stricter lockdown will be announced by Gladys. Lets see how it goes.

21/12/202038,578158
22/12/202044,466810
23/12/202041,86588
24/12/202060,18499
25/12/202069,80973
26/12/202039,13396
27/12/202023,93374
28/12/202015,36459
29/12/202016,32936
30/12/202017,267187
31/12/202027,894107

·
Registered
620 Posts
NSW COVID Tracking:
  • Northern Beaches Southern Zone restrictions lifted to align with rest of Greater Sydney.
  • Northern Beaches Northern Zone remains in lockdown stay-at-home orders.
  • 7 new local cases announced to day and 3 yesterday. A new Beralla Cluster identified with 5 of the 7 linked to the same family.
  • Masks now officially mandated for certain indoor events/areas, shopping centres and public transport.
  • Genomic sequencing has now linked the Inner West, Wollongong and Northern Beaches clusters (as well as the Black Rock cluster in Victoria as reported above by Tayser)
  • Sydney New Years Cricket test to proceed as planned at this stage with capacity limited to 24,000

21/12/202038,578158
22/12/202044,466810
23/12/202041,86588
24/12/202060,18499
25/12/202069,80973
26/12/202039,13396
27/12/202023,93374
28/12/202015,36459
29/12/202016,32936
30/12/202017,267187
31/12/202027,894107
01/01/202132,01032
02/01/202131,864712

·
Registered
620 Posts
That isn't what he's saying. It's not parochialism, I think he's genuinely fed up with what he describes as particularly NSW's 'whac a mole' approach to it. And some of the other states somewhat lax border controls after an outbreak in neighbouring states. It means revolving door of decisions about our border.
Using a "whack-a-mole" strategy and creating "leper-like colonies" to manage this pandemic, the NSW premier is very popular for those very reasons.

WA might see such an approach as a danger to their lifestyle so it is free to restrict its borders for how ever long and how ever often it feels necessary to ensure the filth from the east is not transported west. This strategy has also made the WA premier very popular and I am sure that he will want to do everything he can to maintain that popularity till March at the very least. The NSW premier may not like WA's approach and she can poke and prod using the media and the WA premier can take the bait and snap back.

In my opinion, it all smacks of populist parochialism where each side refuses to acknowledge the right of the other to govern this situation as they see best for their respective jurisdiction.

·
Registered
620 Posts
NSW COVID Tracking:
  • Beralla Cluster is of prime concern as the exposure of potentially thousands of customers at the local BWS over the busy Xmas period is now the focus.

21/12/202038,578158
22/12/202044,466810
23/12/202041,86588
24/12/202060,18499
25/12/202069,80973
26/12/202039,13396
27/12/202023,93374
28/12/202015,36459
29/12/202016,32936
30/12/202017,267187
31/12/202027,894107
01/01/202132,01032