SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1550 Posts

· Registered
6,039 Posts
The media are doing their usual over dramatisation......though the Chinese are doing some pretty drastic things on this one to try to stop its spread.........its a bit more unnerving than SARS a decade or so ago ........or the EBOLA outbreaks in Africa.

· Registered
6,039 Posts
One of those typical sheep SUV drivers eh? Tut tut :eek:hno:

What happened to the good ol hatch, wagon or sedan?
Strangely enough you need one for driving in the snow, towing and launching boats and for various jobs around the family diary farm on the weekend..........

There are a few on this forum that think this sort of thing can be achieved by taking the train or tram everywhere

· Registered
6,039 Posts
Jack it up several centimetres, stick on some bits of extra trim for the "rugged" look, slap on a new badge and its automatically a cha ching for the dealers and manufacturer. :lol:
stupid - so many pretend off-roaders......the only worthwhile safety feature on these vehicles is 4WD (if its constant) which makes them grip more on-road........but offload 90% of them are useless

· Registered
6,039 Posts
I find it difficult to get my head around the fact that our government is proposing to charge families $1,000 per child to evacuate 140 Australian children stuck in Wuhan to Christmas Island where they will be quarantined for two weeks. Not sure also what the islanders think about this along with the Biloela family who are incarcerated there either. Are other Nations charging their citizens?
I don't get why you think the government should pay? and underwrite the risk for individual citizens ? If the virus gets out of control worldwide, where do you draw the line in the sand? Its about setting a precedent as well

· Registered
6,039 Posts
Just prepping for the "flesh eating zombie" phase of the disease no doubt.....! the phase that no-one knows about yet

So if your over 70, a heavy smoker with stuffed lungs, someone with a poor immune system or a pre-existing ailment (respiratory or heart desease) you have a small to moderate chance of becoming seriously ill or dying if you get the virus. For the other 98% of us, we'll just get a very bad flu and have to take a month off work (at the most).....Unless it mutates and becomes more lethal of course.

Whilst we all need to be careful with this virus and hopefully not contract it, its the economic effects that is seriously worrying me...There is absolutely massive supply chain disruption going on which is affecting all sectors of our economy and some sectors (tourism and foreign education have come to a complete stop). The job market will end up getting smashed as well. I think we are seeing a big over-reaction to the virus....which is being fed by worried politicians and a rampant media that loves an "end of the world" story.

· Registered
6,039 Posts
I work in healthcare and this thing Is a major concern. I stocked up last week with food etc. as I expect there is a 100% chance I will be infected and have to self isolate. This is what people are stocking up for.
I overheard a woman today saying that this will only kill old people therefore doesn’t matter. Think of your parents and grandparents and then think if this doesn’t matter. I actually expect a 200 to 400 million death count in 12 months from this globally.
why stock up and clear the shelves? Haven't you heard of Coles online? They'll deliver it too you by leaving it at your front door. All your doing is inconveniencing others

· Registered
6,039 Posts
I checked on EBAY and some of these people in the photo are obviously trying to make a profit selling toilet paper online......Who would have thought that the scalpers have moved into the toilet paper game!

· Registered
6,039 Posts
Even for people who may need to self-isolate for whatever reason, they should still be able to order whatever they need from Coles or Woolies online and have it delivered such that the delivery driver isn't exposed to any risk of catching any bugs.
so what is this telling you ?????? Buy shares in companies that have online trading platforms for trade of FMCG's - "Fast Moving Consumer Goods"

· Registered
6,039 Posts
The problem with this Virus is that > 15% of those being diagnosed are being hospitalised and 5-10% of those being diagnosed are ending up in ICU for a long period of time. The mortality rate is between 1-3% but the main problem is the demand for ICU beds will well and truly exceed supply if the virus gets completely out of control. Things are going to get very messy quickly if we can't shut it down here soon.....and if it gets out of control in SE Asia those countries have enormous problems due to their second rate health systems

· Registered
6,039 Posts
yes and I think we all should listen and cooperate with directions from our Federal and State governments from now on, who incidentally I believe are well in front of the curve on this.

and......if you are coughing and sneezing.....don't take the bloody train like a few people did on my train this morning.

· Registered
6,039 Posts
Maybe, but wet markets have long been a source of viruses, stacking exotic live animals atop of live animals which someone then eats is how stuff like SARS started and probably this. They were meant to clamp down on these practices but, well, here we are.
To be frank, the Chinese in mainland China (particularly those linked to the Chinese Communist Party) cannot be trusted.

· Registered
6,039 Posts
1 - 20 of 1550 Posts