SkyscraperCity banner

5341 - 5357 of 5357 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Isn't the total population of the USA 330,000,000 Million? or thereabouts? and there has only been 138,000 deaths, quite low really numerically speaking.

So a death rate of 0.04812%

Am I missing something? Thats super low given the conditions and their privatised health care system that is not universal and excludes huge swaths of lower socio economic patients. Seems like a low death rate to me.

Again just speaking numbers here, nothing more nothing less.

For comparison the number of traffic deaths in the US for a year is just under 40,000.
Gun deaths are around 35,000 - but to be fair they aren't doing anything to reduce that either

Suicide is around 50,000 - though some would also count in gun deaths

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bear in mind in a twelve month period the US records nearly 3 million deaths as a total, while here in Australia the figure is about 160,000. On average about 7500-8000 people a day die in the US from all causes, this might explain why certain sizable sectors of the US population don't seem to be too concerned about the current virus.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Do you see countries that have chosen to 'run the gauntlet' doing any better economically?
It's not just about economics - there is a huge psychological toll being taken by these lockdowns and one that is unsustainable for any length of time. People will not tolerate 6 months of lockdowns, and the suicides, relationship breakdowns, stress and lost time will cause lasting damage to our population, more so than the deaths of some people.

We could eliminate the road toll if we dropped the speed limit to 20km/h but we don't, because of the tradeoff. Let's start looking at this trade off sensibly rather than being 'OMIGOD YOU WANT GRANDPA TO DIE!'

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Bear in mind in a twelve month period the US records nearly 3 million deaths as a total, while here in Australia the figure is about 160,000. On average about 7500-8000 people a day die in the US from all causes, this might explain why certain sizable sectors of the US population don't seem to be too concerned about the current virus.
Certain sizable sectors of the US population must have missed seeing the freezer trucks full of dead bodies in NYC when the hospitals were over run.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
It's not just about economics - there is a huge psychological toll being taken by these lockdowns and one that is unsustainable for any length of time. People will not tolerate 6 months of lockdowns, and the suicides, relationship breakdowns, stress and lost time will cause lasting damage to our population, more so than the deaths of some people.

We could eliminate the road toll if we dropped the speed limit to 20km/h but we don't, because of the tradeoff. Let's start looking at this trade off sensibly rather than being 'OMIGOD YOU WANT GRANDPA TO DIE!'
If you don't let it get out of control you don't need continuous lockdowns and Grandpa who you treat callously with contempt does not need to die unnecessarily.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
So with the current situation in roughly 6 months since February of a pandemic, the USA has recorded roughly 3.37 Million cases out of t total population of 332,000,000 = 1.02% of total population having contracted the virus.

There are 3.37 Million cases confirmed with a confirmation of 138,000 deaths roughly equating to a 4.1% Death rate.

This has occurred with a hard lockdown then with partial lockdown periods and now limited to no lockdowns and a privatised health care System.
So yes higher than expected, but still in the wider context of an economy with a population that has a median age of 38.3 years seems reasonably low.

Again just playing a numbers game here, as it seems that this Virus is measured on numbers and not much else, thats all we keep hearing is numbers, numbers numbers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Certain sizable sectors of the US population must have missed seeing the freezer trucks full of dead bodies in NYC when the hospitals were over run.
True. I posted those figures not saying I agreed with their position but rather that seems to be part of the case for the little current concern they have: you'll likely have heard it being dismissed because previous flu outbreaks killed 80,000 in one year (2015 or 2016 or something) or 150,000 in another year (50's/60's). They just seem to shrug it off. Even the freezer trucks in NYC, they were either shrugged off as "small" figures (7500-8000 dying a day nationally as it normally is) or outright disputed to be the reality of the situation and purported to be manufactured propaganda. You could argue with the first notion, but the second there's not much you can say to someone in that position, I think they'd need to experience it first hand otherwise they'll never come to any acceptance of the virus being a pandemic at all.

·
22,018 Posts
So with the current situation in roughly 6 months since February of a pandemic, the USA has recorded roughly 3.37 Million cases out of t total population of 332,000,000 = 1.02% of total population having contracted the virus.

There are 3.37 Million cases confirmed with a confirmation of 138,000 deaths roughly equating to a 4.1% Death rate.

This has occurred with a hard lockdown then with partial lockdown periods and now limited to no lockdowns and a privatised health care System.
So yes higher than expected, but still in the wider context of an economy with a population that has a median age of 38.3 years seems reasonably low.

Again just playing a numbers game here, as it seems that this Virus is measured on numbers and not much else, thats all we keep hearing is numbers, numbers numbers.

Not all cases would have been identified.

Even still, without any restrictions, the numbers would have been higher now (but likely not overall as it looks like the USA is throwing it away.)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts

Looking at the numbers for excess in the US, there is a huge increase over the average for April and May (between 20 - 40% above the expected number of deaths)
This is now trending down the the average number of deaths as I guess COVID-19 takes over deaths from other causes that have dropped

·
Registered
639 Posts
True. I posted those figures not saying I agreed with their position but rather that seems to be part of the case for the little current concern they have: you'll likely have heard it being dismissed because previous flu outbreaks killed 80,000 in one year (2015 or 2016 or something) or 150,000 in another year (50's/60's). They just seem to shrug it off. Even the freezer trucks in NYC, they were either shrugged off as "small" figures (7500-8000 dying a day nationally as it normally is) or outright disputed to be the reality of the situation and purported to be manufactured propaganda. You could argue with the first notion, but the second there's not much you can say to someone in that position, I think they'd need to experience it first hand otherwise they'll never come to any acceptance of the virus being a pandemic at all.
Maybe NYC did have freezer trucks for a couple of days - still doesn't automatically justify such a drastic curtailment of our rights.

Let's also remember that these deaths are 'with' coronavirus and not necessarily 'from' coronavirus

I just saw online that the UK is mandating masks in shops at the threat of a hundred pound fine: I find it incredibly disheartening that historical bastions of liberty are adopting these Saudi Arabian type laws.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
There is serious talk that Stage 4 restrictions are about to be announced this week for Melbourne Metro and Mitchell Shire. Apparently we will be given 48 hours notice, according to my contact this has been signed off and was always in the works. If and when it does occur, the idea is that it will be for a period of two weeks.

This is coming from my inside contact who works closely to the Chief Medical Officer, how true it is we will have to wait and see.

Apparently this means all construction sites to cease, all schools to close and all or most of what is considered "essential services" to cease trading. Similar to what was implemented in New Zealand.

Apparently only medical, pharmacies and some major supermarkets will be exempt, with shortened trading hours and restricted numbers in their premises.

·
Environmental Busybody
9,782 Posts
Looks like potential cases from Crosslands Hotel in Queensland as well, several people awaiting results of their tests.

5341 - 5357 of 5357 Posts