SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Coronavirus

902179 Views 20434 Replies 159 Participants Last post by  prp002
What’s the thoughts here, some media outlets are doing well to dramatise the spread, 4 cases now confirmed in Australia, a lot of ‘breaking news’ updates with every new confirmed case.
41 - 60 of 20435 Posts
Didn't realise that family was still there, what must their life be? And the locals are not happy, it's not good for tourism apparently. Even though the centre is far from FFC. I suppose locals will be offered jobs there, so there will be some contact.
I find it difficult to get my head around the fact that our government is proposing to charge families $1,000 per child to evacuate 140 Australian children stuck in Wuhan to Christmas Island where they will be quarantined for two weeks. Not sure also what the islanders think about this along with the Biloela family who are incarcerated there either. Are other Nations charging their citizens?
I wonder if Corona Beer is experiencing an increase in demand because of this? I'll contact a couple of guys I know in the industry to find out
Reactions: RoarRa
It's $1,000 per person to fly them from a region where commercial airlines are no longer flying, and in a logistical exercise which will require bespoke quarantine requirements and practices implemented just for them, its the equivalent of what an air-fare would have cost pre health emergency. Seems like a pretty reasonable and fair practice, its optional and some families have declined to fly anyway.

Regardless of the reasons of why it was built and what its purpose is, Christmas Island detention centre offers the necessary facilities and capacity to process this type of thing.
I find it difficult to get my head around the fact that our government is proposing to charge families $1,000 per child to evacuate 140 Australian children stuck in Wuhan to Christmas Island where they will be quarantined for two week
Everything should come free from that magical government money tree.
Reactions: L2
yeah - I don't know why the government just doesn't send us all 20K per month to live on.............instead we have to work.....who on earth thought up this system in the first place ?
Only a central authority can organise something like an evacuation. It's such an unusual event that you might expect the government to step up. $1000 is such a nominal amount, it probably costs more to administrate the collection of the money.
It seems like a weird thing to implement but if you've got to pay your way out of other parts of China before travel grinds to a halt it's probably not a major disincentive.

Anyone else turning into a mild germaphobe yet?
It's all those billionaires living a life of luxury using what should be OUR FREE MONEY!!!11111
who on earth thought up this system in the first place ?
Reactions: CementC
They're in their with their begging bowls as well, on a larger scale.
Yes. Ramping up the hand washing. Trying not to touch things. Though forget sometimes.

More worried for my parents, they both have chest complaints and step mother is going into hospital for tests this week, which is probably the worst place to be at this time.
It seems like a weird thing to implement but if you've got to pay your way out of other parts of China before travel grinds to a halt it's probably not a major disincentive.

Anyone else turning into a mild germaphobe yet?
Spending a little on flights now could potentially save orders of magnitude more in future if it helps with quarantine and reduce spread of Coronavirus. The amount for one way flights for that group is a drop in the ocean compared to control, mitigation, impacts and public awareness costs.
Some common sense happening now. Many other countries including within Asia doing the same thing.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/v...a/news-story/e1f2b7c5d7a83372c74dace60488d1bf
Now who here is suggesting anything like that, so after Dutton goes on TV and announces yep the families will have to pay $1000 for the evacuation Josh Frydenberg said the Government would not be seeking to recover the cost of the Qantas flights from China to Christmas Island. Are you going to be sending a letter of complaint now to the government about how the government is making everything free from its magical money tree? Gosh those stranded children are a huge burden in your life.
what the fuk is wrong with people?
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/datelin...jiri5eVHEfJ3hZTeyrZMkUqSMXXpKm_kNhaSLMC8zQri0

Coronavirus essentials: Is stocking up on toilet paper necessary?

The World Health Organisation has declared it’s in uncharted territory as the COVID-19 novel coronavirus continues to spread. The escalation of the disease and news of disruption to manufacturing has caused consumer behaviour to shift, with people around the world 'panic-buying' essential supplies like toilet paper.

UPDATEDUPDATED 5 HOURS AGO
BY EMILY JANE SMITH
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
The coronavirus is disrupting supply chains across the world and so-called ‘panic-buying’ has seen consumers flock to supermarkets to stock-up on essential items, including toilet paper.

The average person who buys toilet paper used about 9.8kg last year, according to consumer data group Statistica.

Costco in the US has seen a run on supplies and the chairman of Japan’s paper manufacturing companies, Hirofumi Hayashi, told a news conference last week, “there is a sufficient supply and inventory of toilet and tissue paper."

"I urge people to remain calm,” he said.

British supermarkets have drawn up “feed the nation” contingency plans that would help the country cope with any panic-buying.

Australians have been posting on social media photos of empty shelves that would otherwise be stocked with toilet paper.
Just prepping for the "flesh eating zombie" phase of the disease no doubt.....! the phase that no-one knows about yet

So if your over 70, a heavy smoker with stuffed lungs, someone with a poor immune system or a pre-existing ailment (respiratory or heart desease) you have a small to moderate chance of becoming seriously ill or dying if you get the virus. For the other 98% of us, we'll just get a very bad flu and have to take a month off work (at the most).....Unless it mutates and becomes more lethal of course.

Whilst we all need to be careful with this virus and hopefully not contract it, its the economic effects that is seriously worrying me...There is absolutely massive supply chain disruption going on which is affecting all sectors of our economy and some sectors (tourism and foreign education have come to a complete stop). The job market will end up getting smashed as well. I think we are seeing a big over-reaction to the virus....which is being fed by worried politicians and a rampant media that loves an "end of the world" story.
I work in healthcare and this thing Is a major concern. I stocked up last week with food etc. as I expect there is a 100% chance I will be infected and have to self isolate. This is what people are stocking up for.
I overheard a woman today saying that this will only kill old people therefore doesn’t matter. Think of your parents and grandparents and then think if this doesn’t matter. I actually expect a 200 to 400 million death count in 12 months from this globally.
Reactions: Kelli
why stock up and clear the shelves? Haven't you heard of Coles online? They'll deliver it too you by leaving it at your front door. All your doing is inconveniencing others
I work in healthcare and this thing Is a major concern. I stocked up last week with food etc. as I expect there is a 100% chance I will be infected and have to self isolate. This is what people are stocking up for.
I overheard a woman today saying that this will only kill old people therefore doesn’t matter. Think of your parents and grandparents and then think if this doesn’t matter. I actually expect a 200 to 400 million death count in 12 months from this globally.
There is a difference to stocking up and panic buying. Last week I stocked up with 1Kg rice, 1 pack pasta, 6 cans of tuna, 4 cans of soup, 2 litres of long life milk....
I neither cleared shelves or inconvenienced anybody as it was all part of my regular grocery shop.
But toilet paper? So strange. I use the Walking Dead as my guide. Toilet paper doesn’t rate high on the priority list.
I didn’t panic buy, I casually walked in and stocked up.

Large packs of Rice, tuna, few toiletries etc but mostly food - basically enough that if it came to it we wouldn’t need to shop for several weeks at least. We have very restricted diet due to allergies and so don’t eat out, and rice is a staple, so it’s not like we can just walk down and get maccas if we need.

oh and got an extra pack of shotgun shells ;)
There is a difference to stocking up and panic buying. Last week I stocked up with 1Kg rice, 1 pack pasta, 6 cans of tuna, 4 cans of soup, 2 litres of long life milk....
I neither cleared shelves or inconvenienced anybody as it was all part of my regular grocery shop.
Reactions: bribri
41 - 60 of 20435 Posts