SkyscraperCity banner

761 - 780 of 1668 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
The economic consequences are devastating but fortunately the doubling of Newstart and small business assistance will cushion the blow for many people. Unfortunately the lockdown measures have been done in a pretty half-arsed kind of way. When we flatten the curve, there should be less suffering, and the problem should become more manageable - perhaps we could finally do what South Korea is doing and micromanage/test/contract trace/quarantine segments - to keep it under control, but given what I've seen from this really astoundingly incompetent response, I don't think we have at all what it takes to achieve that.

I feel sorry most of all for the backpackers and non-residents who can't access welfare and therefore are for sure ransacking savings - no doubt having to return home. It would be nice if working holiday visas could make an age exception for those turning 30 this year.

Also we had months to prepare, but apparently medical supplies are now scarce. I'm also surprised by how few ICU beds we really have. The government should make a move-on and procure more. They ideally should have done it earlier, but the last 7 years have been a shambles, so why not this one also? At least we're all seeing the "brilliance" of the PM in action now. Half-arsing his way through yet another crisis, pissing off business and epidemiologists all in one go with his absent strategy.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #766
Not at all, vulnerable and at risk people can and should absolutely self isolate. The economy is already melting down as we type. Did you see the Centrelink lines?

Its not the immediate economic effects I'm concerned with, its the long term economic damage and the associated health effects of the economic damage. There will be businesses that never recover, unemployment will hit minimum 10% but likely double that, incomes will fall, mental health issues will manifest, drug abuse, homelessness increases, domestic violence. Things people cannot self isolate from with devastating consequences.

But yeah, I lack empathy.
like the GFC, the Great Depression, the Asian Financial Crisi.... the Australian economy, and global economy will recover..

What can't recover, is our social conscience if we allow more and more people to die because we weighted the fear of short term unemployment over the lives of those who are deemed to be more vulnerable to this virus.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I am a bit stumped how current employer and employee " Duty Of Care" health and safety laws don't apply to workers who are in close proximity breaking the Government's 1.5 metre rule such as hairdressers, masseuses and physio therapists. It is heart breaking people like hairdressers losing their livelihood and they have no option but to make and take only bad choices. Lose your job hopefully temporarily or risk getting covid 19 or giving to your fellow workers or customers.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #768

View attachment 36886

So, basically under 55 it is 0.1% and we DON'T know what percentage of them that had a precondition.
interesting, earlier you dismissed figures i posted from the US Govt, Centre fro Disease and Control Department because you said they were unverified.

I don't disagree with the current fatality rate in the US, but i do disagree with the message you are trying to portray through those statistics and i feel you are missing they key point here, all these statistics that have been presented are based on the assumption that the health care system is working at an optimum level of efficiency where the correct level of medical services can be delivered to those who need it. It's suggesting, that unless you die, then you are unaffected, it overlooks the number of patients hospitalised, and critically the number of patients who are admitted to ICU.

You said the "vast majority of us are not at risk", yet the facts say otherwise, 34% of COVID19 patients who have been hospitalised in the US are 34years old or younger, 12% of those admitted to ICU were 20-44 years old and incredibly 36% were 44-64 years old. So overall, 48% of those who have been admitted to Intensive Care in the US, are within the labor force age bracket! Yes the elderly are more likely to die, but its incorrect to say that the vast majority of us are not at risk, being admitted to the ICU means you're in a pretty serious condition.

Finally, what you still aren't considering is the exponential growth in the number of patients who require hospitalisation, that will reach a critical point in the next two week where they will have to begin triaging patients, and as I've said above, thats not just the elderly, that's the young as well.... Watch what happens to the fatality rates, if god forbid that is to happen.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Frightening to hear of Doctors and other health workers already close to running out of Personal Protective Equipment in Australia and they don't seem reassured or believing that adequate new stock is coming. I hope they are wrong and plenty of it is coming because the last thing we want is dead or sick Doctors and nurses .

·
Guac Bowl Merchant
9,046 Posts
This was done by Greenland Group, who are building skyscrapers in Sydney:

It's always nice to know where true allegencies lie.

·
Guac Bowl Merchant
9,046 Posts
Because the face of this crisis, is a druggie on newstart?
I never said that, but if you want to suggest everyone plays an equally important role in our economy, then I disagree because clearly some contribute more than others.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #772
It's not about going for the big reward, it's about the fact that most businesses do no plan for entire industries shutting down instantly and indefinitely.

These businesses drive the economy, these people are entrepreneurial, they employ people.

Are they and the people they employ more important to the country than say a druggie who just got his newstart doubled and gets to sit in the safety of his home through all this? Sure are to me.
mate really, i mean i hate those who cheat the system as much as they next person... But the stimulus package is worth an incredible $189billion, how much of that stimulus package is this "druggie" actually receiving as part of that overall package do you think?

The answer is, sweet **** all, the vast majority has gone to support small businesses and those who are made recently redundant/reduced hours/reduced revenue. So why are we breaking a sweat arguing about something so minute in the scheme of things, when there are far bigger issues to be discussing???

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
2,996 Posts
is this a coronavirus thread or a china and propaganda thread?

·
Guac Bowl Merchant
9,046 Posts
mate really, i mean i hate those who cheat the system as much as they next person... But the stimulus package is worth an incredible $189billion, how much of that stimulus package is this "druggie" actually receiving as part of that overall package do you think?
Look, I don't particularly care if newstart is increased, it was quite low, but I think the stimulus package for business has been decidedly underwhelming in many areas.

I can only hope there are better measures going forward, such as for instance rent relief for businesses, small business have a massive drop in revenue but little real relief on expenses, that should be the focus.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Look, I don't particularly care if newstart is increased, it was quite low, but I think the stimulus package for business has been decidedly underwhelming in many areas.

I can only hope there are better measures going forward, such as for instance rent relief for businesses, small business have a massive drop in revenue but little real relief on expenses, that should be the focus.
You forgot rent relief for the many renters now unemployed Locke. Yes we will need to see much more government support.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Yep, this is one hot mess we're in.
Yes and the whole World is involved but I am hoping it will be a better, well quicker outcome than the 1918 pandemic or the Great Depression with swift and larger Government stimulus and relief, better health care for many of us so it will be very bad but I pray much shorter than the Ten years or so of the Great Depression or the two years or so of the 1918 pandemic.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #778

they’re literally looking at this right now, should be more in the news about it tomorrow

761 - 780 of 1668 Posts