Skyscraper City Forum banner
18181 - 18200 of 18271 Posts

·
Environmental Busybody
14,483 Posts
I personally know someone who is based in Adelaide flying to remote communities in SA and NT with Pfizer and vaccinating the entire community in one hit, then 3 months later, they go back. This is pre-empted by an education campaign before they arrive to ensure as many as possible get vaccinated. This needs to be a big program in QLD and WA.
RFDS has been flying vaccines around WA almost as long as they've been available.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I suppose the 19 dead in Victoria from Covid today will not be going on interstate holidays or demanding freedumb. At the moment the non Covid States have similar rules in regards to testing. SA has just opened its border but requires testing for everyone except those from very low risk areas.
well I guess they exercised their right to choose to meet their maker - they easily had enough time to get vaccinated. As usual the Vic Gov has given little information as to their ages or the other health conditions these people had. Incidentally, the median age of a Covid death in Australia since early 2020 is 83 years - pretty similar to median longevity before the outbreak of Covid in the country

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
The only thing that has to do with vaccination rates is the ned to be more deliberate in managing the rollout because it's all on the government rather than a reaction to high case numbers.

Why are people in QLD and WA getting vaccinated at a slower rate than supply?
should just let the virus in now to increase the vaccination rates - there's nothing like self-interest to incentivise a run for the jab

·
Registered
2,736 Posts

·
WARREN
8,227 Posts
Auckland's case numbers on a per-capita basis are similar to Victoria at the moment, so it's not as if they're trying to protect a plague-free land any more.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Trying to live as if the pandemic is over is probably not a good idea to help with compliance when restrictions have to be re-introduced. The Danish Government declared Covid-19 was no longer "an illness which is a critical threat to society." and now they find their health system again under some strain and that is at 76% of their total population so around 90% for over 16. I suppose it feels good to give people goals, hope and optimism but hard to deliver when dealing with this virus. Still I rather be in Denmark's high vaccination position than a lot of other European Nations. Booster shots now seem critical.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Trying to live as if the pandemic is over is probably not a good idea to help with compliance when restrictions have to be re-introduced.
Very true, this pandemic is not over - but the way some of our politicians are talking they make it sound like its all over and back to normal for us forever.

Now being the armchair critic that I am means i have no expertise but I think the Northern Hemisphere is running a season ahead of us so I would hope that authorities and bureaucrats here are watching closely how it is unfolding and learning about the importance of effective preventative measures (ie - push the booster shots hard) and continued refining and investment in outbreak management measures for when the next wave hits us - its nota time to get lazy. As such, in my opinion there is a chance we will follow the trajectory of the Northern hemisphere as we move closer to our winter and I think that we will see a re-introduction of some restrictions and maybe even some border closures go up again. I wonder how that will go with the federal election timed for autumn at the latest. We could see an escalation of polarising pandemic politics emerge as a run up to that election.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
It's been known for about six months that herd immunity with Delta is probably impossible. The R-nought for delta is too high to achieve any herd immunity with vaccines that don't have near-100% reduction in transmission. And we know that reduction in transmission is the weakest characteristic of the vaccines. With 100% effectiveness in transmission reduction and an R-nought of 5 (it's probably higher than that for delta), we need 80% vaccination coverage of the whole population. But since transmission reduction is actually much lower than 100% with our vaccines, when we factor that in, vaccination coverage needs to be higher than 100% (in other words... it's impossible).

Therefore, we have two avenues: one is to wait for a new vaccine to come out that has near-100% effectiveness in transmission reduction, or alternatively we can open up, manage the impacts of covid through vaccination and hope that vaccination plus natural infection (or potentially vaccines + boosters but I doubt it) lead to immunity with an equivalent reduction in transmission that is close to 100%.

Most jurisdictions are opting for the second option. Once the pandora's box of delta is out there, the best we can do is manage its impacts with vaccines. We're all going to get delta eventually, unless a new generation of vaccine comes as I mentioned above. We can also manage the rate that delta spreads through the population by implementing some measures to slow it (e.g. masks, boosters etc.).

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
The problem in the parts of Europe that are having to bring back restrictions (Austria for example) is that they have lower levels of vaccination to begin with than, say, NSW or ACT, reduced protection for those who did get vaccinated as the time since they had their vaccine increases and problems getting people to go get booster shots to restore that protection.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
18181 - 18200 of 18271 Posts