Skyscraper City Forum banner
18261 - 18280 of 19467 Posts

·
27,574 Posts

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Hopefully I'll avoid it by taking care of my lifestyle, just like I'll avoid dying of covid thanks to my vaccines.
Taking lifestyle precautions certainly reduces the risk but with Covid lower case numbers reduces your risk as well. We all get older and some of us who are a bit older obviously have more concerns and like to discuss them.

Sure? But far far far fewer of them.
I found my old vaccination card from when I was a kid and all the things that could have either killed me or given me serious illness back then. Whooping Cough, Diphtheria, Polio, Tetanus, and Small Pox. In High school I think it was vaccinated for Rubella and tuberculosis . When I went overseas in the early 80's Yellow Fever and typhoid. I remember getting measles, the mumps and chicken pox not at all pleasant. Vaccines are a wonder and today we have vaccines for measles, herpes, Rotavirus, mumps, hepatitis, Influenza. We have the meningococcal and human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccines and now vaccines for Covid 19.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Taking lifestyle precautions certainly reduces the risk but with Covid lower case numbers reduces your risk as well. We all get older and some of us who are a bit older obviously have more concerns and like to discuss them.
It helps when discussing risks to put them in context. The number of deaths that you're showing so much concern about in Victoria is lower than the average number of deaths from heart failure per day. You still haven't explained why you don't show the same concern for heart failure deaths.

Everyone is going to get covid - you need to move on from case numbers. Hopefully we'll get a mild illness or be asymptomatic due to protection from vaccines.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I actually do have have concerns for heart disease and heart failure as it has been prevalent in my family history. Context is important but so is discussing and not ignoring the risks. Ten deaths from Covid in Victoria is still ten more than NSW or WA reported so seems relevant to discuss in a topic about Covid. Europe tried to move on from case numbers and act as if the pandemic was over and look at their situation now. Vaccines, boosters, new treatments, various restrictions, new variants, hospitalisations, ICU availability, healthcare worker welfare, death and case numbers are all still relevant for many. Some of us are just not yet ready to move on and like to be a bit more cautious and concerned. You are fine to do as you wish and your circumstance and experiences probably different to mine. At least we have done our bit to help others and ourselves and got ourselves vaccinated. Yep here's hoping " we'll get a mild illness or be asymptomatic due to protection from vaccines."

·
Banned
589 Posts
I've just read that the Spanish city of Zaragoza is trialling the use of ionised air in the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems of their trams, with the aim of reducing the incidence of the virus, both in the air and on surfaces. Does anyone know anything about this? Will it be effective or not?

·
Registered
2,865 Posts

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
except that about 150 people die every day in Victoria anyway......an extra 10 pfft...... who cares
I must say you have always been consistent and honest with not only your lack of empathy but that you think the people that do die were generally just a burden on society anyway. So you will be not caring to know 1,188 new cases and 11 Covid deaths today in Victoria. I do see Victoria has reached 91% fully vaccinated (12+) so that tells me that is an achievable goal for others to set.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I must say you have always been consistent and honest with not only your lack of empathy but that you think the people that do die were generally just a burden on society anyway. So you will be not caring to know 1,188 new cases and 11 Covid deaths today in Victoria. I do see Victoria has reached 91% fully vaccinated (12+) so that tells me that is an achievable goal for others to set.
Great to see that the number of cases and deaths are holding steady despite Victoria opening up a couple of months ago.

You must be very happy and upbeat and feeling positive with that news.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Great to see that the number of cases and deaths are holding steady despite Victoria opening up a couple of months ago.

You must be very happy and upbeat and feeling positive with that news.
Interesting way of putting it, I am feeling more positive and upbeat with the news that WA, QLD and NSW etc had no deaths but yes at least we are not seeing in Victoria exponential growth and that is certainly better than what we see in many places in Europe at the moment. I would prefer the case numbers and deaths to be going down. I positively hope having such really high vaccination number of our more senior citizens will make a beneficial difference going forward.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
what do you think my point is? Double vaxxed people are stiill dying, not that you give a toss.
Yes and the higher the case number the higher the number of deaths in both the vaxxed and unvaxxed. Tony Blakely, an epidemiologist at the University of Melbourne reckons fully vaccinated people were around 90 per cent less likely to die than those who weren't vaccinated.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
Yes and the higher the case number the higher the number of deaths in both the vaxxed and unvaxxed. Tony Blakely, an epidemiologist at the University of Melbourne reckons fully vaccinated people were around 90 per cent less likely to die than those who weren't vaccinated.

Honestly they get that 90% out of their arse

18261 - 18280 of 19467 Posts