Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Est. 2005
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YO
The Site Of Costco should Be cleared and Turned into a World Showcase (Like the One a Disn*ys Epc*t - cannot say it the Disn*y Police Will Get Me)
with a Huge Tower in the Middle , 60 storys, as a Hilton Hotel. and a Underground car park.
Thanks
Liam Kinsella

I didnt Lose my mind i sold it on Ebay

·
Liverpool, England.
12,951 Posts
When those buildings were built, Liverpool was grateful to get any development. They look totally wrong in that area. We may hear soon of a plan to develop the King Edward pub site with a tower rumoured to be as high as 48 storeys - no firm announcement yet.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Martin S said:
When those buildings were built, Liverpool was grateful to get any development. They look totally wrong in that area. We may hear soon of a plan to develop the King Edward pub site with a tower rumoured to be as high as 48 storeys - no firm announcement yet.

Fingers crossed. :cheers:

·
800th birthday in 2007
4,192 Posts
Martin S said:
When you look at most developments in the city centre they are leasehold 99, 125 years etc, so Costco's site may be leasehold also, (how many years..?). If the council/developer wants to, i'm sure they could come to an agreement for an alternative site for Costco near to the city centre, but in a more industrial/trading estate.

As for the Toys'R'us are'nt they going bankrupt, that'll be one space cleared up.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Martin S said:
We may hear soon of a plan to develop the King Edward pub site with a tower rumoured to be as high as 48 storeys - no firm announcement yet.
Martin, looking forward to it. Do you think it'll affect the low res businesses nearby? King Eddy's beyond repair. Knock it down or do the more favoured way in Liverpool to get rid of a pub - Torch It - :)

·
Est. 2005
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IT IS TRUE

US retailer Toys R Us has been bought by an investment group of three firms for $6.6bn (£3.4bn).
The group comprises Kohlberg Kravis Roberts (KKR), Bain Capital and Vornado Realty Trust, who will each hold an equal stake in the company.

The three are buying the whole of Toys R Us, which includes the toy retail chain and Babies R Us stores.

The move is a surprise as originally the retailer had only planned to sell its toy business.

'Bidding competition'

"We are pleased to announce this transaction, which brings our strategic review to a very successful conclusion," said John Eyler, chairman and chief executive of Toys R Us.

"There was competition among bidders during the review process, and the acquisition price reflects the compelling value of the global Toys R Us and Babies R Us operations and assets."

Toys R Us was due to announce fourth quarter and full-year 2004 results this week, but on Tuesday announced it had delayed them "to evaluate the change in (its) accounting for leases and leasehold improvements".

The consortium is taking on Toys R Us' debt, and each of the investors will own equal stakes in the company upon completion of the transaction.

The deal needs to be cleared by regulators and Toys R Us shareholders, and is expected to be completed by July.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Toys R Us /Costco

I seem to remember somone in property management telling me that both are on a relatively short term lease (15-20 years) . If so that would be surprisingly farsighted of the landowners given the rise in land values in that area. Costsco and Toys R us are unlikely to stay depending on when the rent review period is as they need low cost premises.

·
Cork 2005
2,233 Posts
LABlue said:
I seem to remember somone in property management telling me that both are on a relatively short term lease (15-20 years) . If so that would be surprisingly farsighted of the landowners given the rise in land values in that area. Costsco and Toys R us are unlikely to stay depending on when the rent review period is as they need low cost premises.
So it wont be too long when they could possibly looking at developing a new use for the site!

·
800th birthday in 2007
4,192 Posts
kung_fuzi said:
Hopefully. :cheers:
Then Toys'R'us can move to a large city centre retail site, and Costco can move north up Great Howard St/Derby Rd. :)

I also would like to see King eddy's pub renovated and the tower built on the Costco/Toys'R'us site, but dont know if a pub would be viable.
Or maybe the tower could incorporate the pub at it's base, in a novel/ingenious sort of way...!

·
Registered
17,240 Posts
Toys R Us should be in Aintree/Speke or the main retail streets.

Costco is a different beast all together and it's current location is starting to look crazy, but only beacuse the city is growing and is actually bordering that site now. 10 years ago it was well out of town and some of the only investment going in.

·
Registered
17,240 Posts
As for the pub - pull it down and build on it. It may have functioned when the street plan was in place but that site needs something on a much bigger scale to sustain it.

walking from Toys R Us into Old Hall Street is like crossing the M6 on foot and then having to cross the M62.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts