SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
COYS
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For 2026 it is likely that several UK cities will bid to host the Commonwealth games again. London, Manchester, Glasgow and Edinburgh will probably not be interested in bidding. But I'm wondering how Belfast would fare? I'm guessing that Cardiff's sport city will be constructed be then, and their council will probably want to put it to good use. I have a feeling that Liverpool with its new cultural city image will also place a bid. I also have a feeling that we will probably also place a bid ourselves.

Regarding the location of the sporting venues- Queens island or Ormeau Park look like ideal locations. Perhaps the main venues could be split up between the two places. Ultimately, a new Stadium (60000ish) a velodrome and an Olympic standard pool would have to be constructed. The Athletes village would give Titanic Quarter developers an ideal chance to expand the development by building lost of new apartments that could be sold off after the games. Existing venues for competitions include Windsor Park (24000) the Odyssey Arena (15000) Kings Hall (7800) Waterfront hall (2200) and the Ulster Hall (1000) By this point I'm guessing Windsor park will have been totally redeveloped. There are also several golf courses, smaller sporting venues and even the grounds of Stormont and the City Hall.

Belfast's Rapid Transit System should be in place fully by 2026, planned to go through Titanic Quarter, and the upgrade to a tram network may even have begun. The road connection to Dublin are already to an excellent standard and the motorway takes you right into the centre of the city past Titanic Quarter. Great Victoria Street station will hopefully have been rebuilt and it is likely that both Airports will be far better linked to the rest of the world. It is also possible that the rail connection from BFS to the city will have been completed by this time. If the trends from the recent hotel boom continue, then we should have adequate room to house spectators throughout the games, and a developed infrastructure to carry them throughout the city. Already, the city is extremely well adapted to catering for tourists needs when they visit Belfast.

On the whole, for Belfast to achieve hosting status for an event such as the Commonwealth Games would be enough to permanently reinstate its lost reputation as being a great city. The regeneration of brownfield areas and the chance to boast fantastic new sporting facilities that could go on to host other important events would be amazing. We would be up against tight competition. In reality, we may be up against cities in Canada, New Zealand, Australia and the rest of the UK. We have a slight advantage in that NI has never hosted the games, and remains the only country in the UK to not have done so. But do you think we would have what it takes to pull of such a massive event?

Discuss! :cheers:

·
Letting off the happiness
5,855 Posts
I always thought it would be great for Belfast to host a commonwealth games, how would it play with the nationalist community though?

I think your main competitors from this side of the sea would be Sheffield, Gateshead/Newcastle, Brum and Cardiff. I could see London bidding too to make use of all those empty sports facilities left after the Olympics.

·
3,795 Posts
I think London and Edinburgh- one trying to build on 2012 successes and making use of world class infrastructure already in place, the other trying to prove itself as the best Scottish city to try and outdo Glasgow's 2014 Commonwealth effort - will be put forward, and if they had to compete against Belfast, they might lose out because Scotland and England have already had a major athletics competition recently when 2024 comes around.

If Belfast has/builds a 40,000+ stadium then it could do it, even against London.

We 'won' the Glasgow bid for 2014, no reason why you guys can't win 2024. ;)

·
Punjabi for Life..!!!
4,431 Posts
^^ How was Delhi games a DISASTER???

Remember I am talking about the GAMES....!!! Where there any incomplete stadium??? Was there any hiccups??? was there any breakdowns??? was some athlete killed or injured??? was there any technical glitches??? Did people protest it???? were there demonstrations in the city..???

Oh well, If you are talking about the buildup to the games..many allegations were proven wrong like the fake bomb story by Australian Media man or breaking of FoB etc etc etc...Yes, there was corruption HYPED by INDIAN AND WESTERN MEDIA to unbelievable heights,...

IMHO, Games were huge success and were carried out brilliantly...I was one Zone in charge of CWG 2010 Village and I know the truth and also, games were declared he success by athletes and various chef de missions and media ......

So please refrain of making baseless claims...

cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
@ DELHI COMMONWEATH GAMES

well said ....MoD .........
STILL CNT FORGET THE BEST UPDATES I HV SEEN ever .... fr any event , structure ..
v were a gud host .... dey seem to concentrating on the build up to games ....
PPL don judge the chef WATCHING HIM cooking ... RATHER concentrate on the DISH !!

pS: WAITING fr F1 noida updates !!!

·
Registered
757 Posts
One could hardly call them a success when the organising authorities resort to giving away tens of thousands of tickets for free because many of the arenas were largely empty. There was a debate in the UK about whether the games are still relevant, and whether UK cities would reconsider their ambitions to host future games. Personally, I think host cities are taking a massive risk by hosting the games.

·
Punjabi for Life..!!!
4,431 Posts
Talks in UK??? Well do you really trust UK Media...hahaha...They are the shittest of all media ...have seen many of their nonsense allegations and made up stories busted..

We Indians abuse Indian media and british media even more...we call them jokers like most other nationalities do .....

It was hard to get tickets ..forget about passes......

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Well do you really trust UK Media...hahaha...They are the shittest of all media
Shittest of ALL media, you know this for certain?, you have experience of ALL the world's media to be able to make that judgement?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Talks in UK??? Well do you really trust UK Media...hahaha...They are the shittest of all media ...have seen many of their nonsense allegations and made up stories busted..

We Indians abuse Indian media and british media even more...we call them jokers like most other nationalities do .....

It was hard to get tickets ..forget about passes......
So hard to get tickets that entire arena remained almost completely empty during many events!? Tickets were so hard to find that in some venues no more than a few dozen seats were filled out of thousands? :lol:

Yes, people in the UK were looking on in amazement, not just at empty seats, but collapsing bridges, shoddy accommodation for athletes, a seemingly endless stream of PR gaffes and the non-attendance of some of the world's biggest athletes because it was so far down their list of priorities that they thought it better to stay home and train.

And by the way, I read more than just the British media. We do have the internet over here you know.

·
Punjabi for Life..!!!
4,431 Posts
So hard to get tickets that entire arena remained almost completely empty during many events!? Tickets were so hard to find that in some venues no more than a few dozen seats were filled out of thousands? :lol:

Yes, people in the UK were looking on in amazement, not just at empty seats, but collapsing bridges, shoddy accommodation for athletes, a seemingly endless stream of PR gaffes and the non-attendance of some of the world's biggest athletes because it was so far down their list of priorities that they thought it better to stay home and train.

And by the way, I read more than just the British media. We do have the internet over here you know.
Wow, seem to know a lot..isn't it....expected from you guys...

Collapsing BRIDGE...humnnn do you know the definition of BRIDGE???? I guess you need to work hard on your own language.....it was a small FoB which collapsed which was being done by a BRITISH COMPANY....

Shoddy Accommodation...wow....I was at CWG Village.....all the pics shown were at the time of construction ..old pics shown by Indian and SHitty english media ......See the reviews of athletes if you wanna now the reality...that's what actually matters....Village was awesome ....can provide you with the links ...athletes were happy......Dint your shit media highlight it???? naah....

Empty stadiums and arenas???

Really , apart from Netball ( Most boring game ever) all the arena's were going houseful...it was on the earlier stages that people were not present however, stadiums were filled to capacity once it was 2-3 days into the event....I am sure your media dint show you that as well....yeah expected ...

Power of google and youtube is in your hands...try it....it really works and open your eyes...

Athletes priority??? humnn..those who came were happy...that's the best part....I had great time with Scotland, english and wales players..made good friends ..... and they were as happy as I was....

And really I don't care of what you think...prince of well.....come out of it..

have a great time..cheers

·
Punjabi for Life..!!!
4,431 Posts

·
Letting off the happiness
5,855 Posts
Thanks for ruining this thread guys. Do you search the forum everyday for references of Delhi to jump to it's defence? This thread was supposed to be about Belfast, please kindly take your arguments to a Delhi thread if you must act like children. :bash:

·
Punjabi for Life..!!!
4,431 Posts
Never intended to derail the thread.....dude...Was there a need to bring in Delhi in your discussions.??? why give your opinions when you don't have full and first hand info on it...??

Anyways continue your discussion...I'll be out of it...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Do you search the forum everyday for references of Delhi to jump to it's defence? This thread was supposed to be about Belfast, please kindly take your arguments to a Delhi thread if you must act like children. :bash:
Don´t take it too serious, this guy is heavily suffering both from megalomania and at the same time of a inferiority complex.:eek:hno:

·
Punjabi for Life..!!!
4,431 Posts
So you are back......German Standaaaaard.....Who doesn't know you dude...probably the biggest loser in the world..banned for nonsense talks and creating fights where ever you go...

Guys take him seriously at your own risk....His aim has always been to create tensions....We all in India threads are well aware of it...

·
Registered
13,999 Posts
Regarding the location of the sporting venues- Queens island or Ormeau Park look like ideal locations. Perhaps the main venues could be split up between the two places. Ultimately, a new Stadium (60000ish) a velodrome and an Olympic standard pool would have to be constructed. T :cheers:

The best hope of getting a 40,000 + all seater new stadium in Belfast would be through the GAA redevelopment of Casement Park. I hope the Executive there gives them all the support they need. It's the only way of getting a major stadium because neither the IFA or IRFU have the resources for such a development. Ideally all sports, IMO, should be accommodated in a new 40,000 seater stadium in Belfast. Otherwise they are off trying to do their own things and the result is substandard embarrassment like Windsor Park for example.

If all sports work together then a fantastic stadium could be built.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I agree Northern Ireland getting a 40+ all seater stadium is unlikely but the idea all sports should be accommodated in one stadium is absolute bollox and thankfully is never going to happen for various reasons, namely the technicalities of playing Rugby, Football and GAA in one stadium :)

·
22,262 Posts
plank007 said:
I agree Northern Ireland getting a 40+ all seater stadium is unlikely but the idea all sports should be accommodated in one stadium is absolute bollox and thankfully is never going to happen for various reasons, namely the technicalities of playing Rugby, Football and GAA in one stadium :)
Exactly, the 'all inclusive' stadium idea while lovely ignores pretty basic concerns and limitations.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts