Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's face it. Los Angeles caught the break-of-all-breaks when the movie industry chose the little town of Hollywood as its epicenter. Talk about an industry (in LA I believe it is referred to as "the industry") designed to bring fame, glamour, and keep your city in the spotlight.

But did you wonder what might have happened if the film industry had taken roots elsewher (perhaps in the desserts of Arizona, or somewhere out on Long Island)? What would the reprecutions been for the City of the Angles if the silver screen never made Hollywood its home? Specifically without the high profile of the film industry, would LA emerged as the power center of the west? Would it have been the magnet it became without the studios? How much did the movie industry contribute to LA's power and clout?

And related....without the movie industry, what would LA's position in regards to San Francisco been as LA overtook SF in population and power in the 20th century. Is it possilbe that San Francisco might have retained its role of "The City" in the west if the movie industry never moved to LA?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I suspect the whole country would have been different. The film industry was and still is suc a huge draw for people to go out west. Growth would have been much slower and California probably wouldn't draw the same creative kinds of people it does, now. Just think, Charles Manson could have taken root on Long island. :eek2:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I always wonder what OKC would have been like if the film industry would have remained rooted in the city, rather than moving to California like so many of the residents here during the Dust Bowl/Depression.

·
Live and Let Live
1,606 Posts
I suspect Los Angeles and/or Southern California was destined to be what it has become. One way or another. There was just too much going for that locale with that beauty and climate for it not to be noticed by millions sooner or later.

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
mid-town said:
I don't think so. If there wasn't Hollywood, NYC would probably be the capital of show business.
Well it's not. Thankfully. Nor do I think the film industry fits in well with NYC. :)

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
bay_area said:
I suspect Los Angeles and/or Southern California was destined to be what it has become. One way or another. There was just too much going for that locale with that beauty and climate for it not to be noticed by millions sooner or later.
I think this is it, this is the answer.

·
Registered
872 Posts
LA may not have become quite as trendy or maybe as large as it is today without hollywood, but I actually think that LA would have become a much better city without hollywood.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The film industry developed in LA for three reason. The first was the generally mild weather which allowed filming almost everyday. The second was the varied geography which has sea sets, city sets, desert, mountains, name it represented locally. The last was distance from Thomas Edison and his attorneys who basically pushed the film industry out of the east especially NYC, by enforcement of patents.

LA would have grown quite prominent without the film industry however. It sits on one of the first oil strikes in the country, and was actually the richest agricultural county in the US in the twenties and thirties. The mild weather also made LA the first center of the aerospace industry; Douglas, Lockheed, Hughes, Rockodyne, Northrup, all got their start out here. The development of the port, biggest in the country had nothing to do with Hollywood. There may have been less development of the West side without the entertainment industry but I suspect LA would still have passed SF in influence without it. Its natural that folks from the east coast would assume that Hollywood equals LA, but that is like assuming Broadway equals NYC or the stockyards equal Chicago.

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
yes. i doubt LA is a metro area of over 16 million soley becuase of the film industry. perhaps hollywood gave LA its mystique and coolness factor but LA would have been LA either way.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it would be interesting to look at the other side of the equation: what would the motion picture industry have been like if it didn't land in LA but ended up inland....let's say the desert in Arizona where sunshine would have allowed shooting all year.

i can't imagine that such a location could have generated the glamour of the southern Californina coast.

·
18,272 Posts
edsg25 said:
it would be interesting to look at the other side of the equation: what would the motion picture industry have been like if it didn't land in LA but ended up inland....let's say the desert in Arizona where sunshine would have allowed shooting all year.

i can't imagine that such a location could have generated the glamour of the southern Californina coast.
actually, southern california was chosen partly because there is nice weather all year for shooting.

another reason is because there were already facilities available; airplane hangars were abundant since the land was cheap and new, and because the warm, dry climate offered a good place to store planes.

you already asked what the real question should be: what would the film industry be like without southern california?

·
skyscraper maniac
1,982 Posts
LA would probably would have been much smaller, but probably would have been full of places like Malibu.

·
Registered
872 Posts
It's obvious that such a large city has many industries other than entertainment. I think that hollywood has enhanced other industries in LA though by helping to advertise and idealize LA as a good (or maybe not so good) but always glamorous place to be.

·
Tastemaker Extraordinare
308 Posts
I saw a PBS show on LA and this very subject a few ,months ago. They said we would be about as big as Chicago, not the mind-blowing world class megalopolis we are now.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
bah. hollywood shmollywood. this city was placed here by god himself! even if it were not for hollywood this city still has huge factors that would lead up to its status. arospace shipping farming hell even illigal immagration is enough to keep us up high. and i have not even begun prasing it for the mediteranian climate and geography!

GodBlessLosAngeles!!!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
SILVERLAKE said:
I saw a PBS show on LA and this very subject a few ,months ago. They said we would be about as big as Chicago, not the mind-blowing world class megalopolis we are now.
:rofl:

that's hilarious.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts