SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are many great major cities in the southern part of the US. Certainly places like Atlanta, Miami, Dallas, and Houston come to mind....as still does a decimated New Orleans.

However, at least in my paradigm, the South may be unusual insofar as it lacks a "dominant" city the way that other regions have. There is no New York as the nerve center for the norheast (and so much more). No city stands out above the others in the South the way Chicago does throughout the center of the nation. San Francisco once dominated the West Coast, LA rose to power, and today they both dominate the West.

Yet in the South, no such city has emerged from the pack. Is it possible that one could do so and play that type of role in the region or are we two far advanced in our nation's development from one to separte itself from the others?

And a related question: could one argue the economic effect of slavery and the Jim Crow era negated the rise of a major urban center when free enterprise was working so well in places like NY, Chgo, SF? (please note there is nothing negative i'm suggesting here regarding the south: the North...and certainly NYC....benefitted greatly from slavery and the cotton kingdom, the North treated its immigrant labor in many ways akin to slavery, and in the post Civil War years, segregation in the North was often every bit as ugly as in the South).

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I think it will become even more decentralized - as Atlanta, Miami, Dallas & Houston grow larger & likely suffer from greater levels of congestion, that will & has led to the rise of the south's next pack of major cities. Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville & Birmingham will grow even greater than now & will eventually manage to close in within 1 or 2 million of the current major cities. Possibly not passing them, but there will be even more major cities in the south.

I think unfortunately the worst case of development is yet to occur. A super sprawlopolis, development will grow not only around primary metro areas but around secondary & tertiary cities & towns all along Interstate highways. It won't be a matter of major cities viewed as a primary focus, but rather a multiple nodal development pattern that doesn't revolve around major cities.
Regarding the second point - hard to answer clearly. In one sense it was the effects of the agrarian economy that resulted in a small collection of major cities: Richmond, Charleston, Louisville, Savannah & New Orleans. But these all served as transportation or market centers for the agrarian economy.

·
I'm Panamerupean!!!!!!!
1,432 Posts
Well

When you think of southern major cities Dallas and Miami reallly don't dominate as much as Atlanta and Houston...But Atlanta really is the unofficial capital of the New South...

Top 5 major cities in teh SOuth
1) Atlanta
2) Houston
3) Dallas
4) Miami
5) New Orleans or Charlotte

·
MetroPlexer
654 Posts
panamaboy9016 said:
When you think of southern major cities Dallas and Miami reallly don't dominate as much as Atlanta and Houston...But Atlanta really is the unofficial capital of the New South...

1) Atlanta
2) Houston
3) Dallas
4) Miami
OR from another viewpoint:

1) Dallas
2) Houston
3) Atlanta
4) Miami
5) Charlotte

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
The top four southern cities are pretty close in terms of size, growth rates, economic and cultural importance. No one city dominates the south, like Chicago dominates the midwest or imo L.A. dominates the West coast, and NYC the East coast.

Dallas's growth rates at current levels will give the metro area a population of 12 million by 2040. Houston, Atlanta and Miami are growing more or less at the same rate, but slightly behind Dallas.

Currently here are my rankings:

Houston
Atlanta
Dallas
Miami
Charlotte (New Orleans?)

By 2040

Dallas
Houston
Atlanta
Miami
Charlotte (New Orleans?)

·
President of Catan
2,282 Posts
Being in Louisville and far from any of the above listed southern cities, it seems from here that Atlanta holds the most power over the South. You just dont hear much about the other cities here in Kentucky. (Not that I really hear all that much about Atlanta around here.)
Really none of those cities have much influence or economic drive in Kentucky, which I guess further proves that the south lacks a center city.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TheBrad said:
I think it will become even more decentralized - as Atlanta, Miami, Dallas & Houston grow larger & likely suffer from greater levels of congestion, that will & has led to the rise of the south's next pack of major cities. Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville & Birmingham will grow even greater than now & will eventually manage to close in within 1 or 2 million of the current major cities. .
Brad,

I think one of the biggest dangers that cities that had their greatest growth spurts in the post-WWII invovles sprawl and public transportation. That descrption could work for a large number of southern and western cities. These cities infrastructure has largely been dictated by the automobile and was based on the ability to use cars at a time when traffic was not congested, energy a mjaor issue, and environmental concerns imperative. Now many of these cities will be battling the "facts on the ground" which are sadly too often very difficult to correct.

Eastern and midwestern cities (and parts of their metros) were laid out based on public transportation and walking...as well as having the rapid transit and commuter rail systems extensively in place to make their problems far less.

Is there a model out there for the Atlanta's and Houston's out there? Yes, and it may be surprising to some what it is: Los Angeles. For all the talk of LA sprawl, this is a city (and region) that has come to terms with the need for density and public transportation. Basically whatever issue LA is dealing with today, Atlanta and Houston will have to deal with tomorrow. It would serve these cities well to keep a close eye on LA and how it continues in its worthwhile steps to reinvent itself in a more practical, pragmatic way.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I've always thought of Houston as the dominant southern city. Atlanta gets a lot of attention, but I don't think it can't compete with Houston for importance.

·
Premium Member
30,336 Posts
The South is just too diverse and vast to have one single city dominating it. The census considers the South to go from West Texas to Delaware, and from Northern Kentucky to Florida.

Besides, who said that competition wasnt bad. At least all the major cities in the South can have their times to shine without a major city overshadowing it like in other regions in the country.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
My List:

Houston
Dallas
Miami
Atlanta
New Orleans/ Charlotte

Edit: I don't think Atlanta is the capitol of anything but Georgia. :runaway:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
edsg25 said:
Is there a model out there for the Atlanta's and Houston's out there? Yes, and it may be surprising to some what it is: Los Angeles. For all the talk of LA sprawl, this is a city (and region) that has come to terms with the need for density and public transportation. Basically whatever issue LA is dealing with today, Atlanta and Houston will have to deal with tomorrow. It would serve these cities well to keep a close eye on LA and how it continues in its worthwhile steps to reinvent itself in a more practical, pragmatic way.
I've said it myself also - LA is even a more optimistic model, I'm not sure Atlanta's infrastructure will allow such density. Even most long-term planning programs you hear across the southeast, particularly Atlanta & Charlotte that emphasizes not just downtown oriented high densities, but promoting high density corridor & high density nodes centered around either edge cities or future TOD's. Without even acknowledging it - that is what LA is.

The only big difference is, these are all cities populated by - for various reasons - a more entrenched NIMBY attitude exists in the southeast. Meaning, the lowest density neighborhoods, many of them being even inner-ring neighborhoods surrounding downtown will NOT be redeveloped. Therefore, the future of the southeastern cities will be quite chaotic - but possibly more interesting - as densities ranging from well beyond 25k per square mile could coexist withing densities below 2.5k per square mile. An example would be Midtown Atlanta, as the neighborhood is actually two different districts - high density condo / office district & the single family / small apartment district. Single family will never leave the central cities. And into the post WWII suburban districts a very different infrastructure exists that is fully dependant on collector roads. That won't be changing either.

The future southeastern cities will be odd, that is for certain. Change (through increased redevelopment spurring greater densities) will either make them more interesting or cause some level of decline. But as LA as a model, the future is largely positive - despite the warnings dating back decades - LA is still oddly enough progressing. Despite the traffic, pollution, utility issues, cost of living, economy - there doesn't seem to be anything stopping it. In some eyes it's one of the ugliest cities in existence, but to others it is some type of paradise. Same can be said for the southeastern major cities - if LA can suceed then Atlanta should as well, and further more if Atlanta can suceed then there is a future for Charlotte.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
In this order for the SE:

Dallas/Ft. Worth
Houston
Atlanta
Miami
Tampa/St. Pete
New Orleans/Charlotte
Memphis
Jacksonville
Nashville
Birmingham
Raleigh/Durham
Baton Rouge
Greensboro
Jackson
Columbia

·
SSLL
8,354 Posts
I think it might be because the South as a region is just so expansive. It's not desnsely populated like the Northeast, it's population is more spread out than the West and the Midwest as well. Also, the South as a region developed in different ways over a large deal of time, unlike the Northeast, West, and Midwest. Realistically, I think the South if more like two, maybe three regions (Southeast/Florida, and Southcentral). And if you think of it that way, there are dominant cities in each (Houston and Dallas in Southcentral, Atlanta and Miami in the Southeast/Florida). Am I the only one who thinks that way?

·
I'm Panamerupean!!!!!!!
1,432 Posts
i really think Atlanta deserves #1

When I lived in Panama the only cities in the US that I ever heard were Atlanta,Miami,Orlando,Los Angeles,Chicago and New York City....I knew about Dallas and Houston but not as much as these cities...Plus the reason why I think Atlanta is the major city of the SOuth is because we have a lot of large and important companies that spread around the country and the world...Delta Airlines is the largest carrier and without it the US economy will fall...Delta also makes the Atlanta airport the busiest in the world and without it there wouldnt be connections to many cities in the world...Coca Cola is the most famous brand in the world where the central company is in Atlanta and was created in Atlanta...You also have Cartoon Network,TBS,TNT,CNN,Boomerang,TNC,Turner South....YOu have offices for many important companies such as Bellsouth,Home Depot,Record companies as well...Chick-fil-a in which is the second largest chicken sanwdich fast food restaurant in which will have the Peach Bowl be named the Chick-fil-a Bowl in which will be a BCS bowl someday...Despite romantic associations, Atlanta has always been more a commercial city than an ante-bellum monument. It is the major center of regional commerce, and boasts an especially strong convention and trade show business. According to the ranking of world cities undertaken by the Globalization and World Cities Study Group & Network (GaWC) and based on the level of presence of global corporate service organisations, Atlanta is considered a "Gamma World City."
Several major national and international companies are headquartered in Atlanta or its nearby suburbs, including four Fortune 100 companies: The Coca-Cola Company (started in Atlanta), Home Depot (started in Atlanta), BellSouth, and United Parcel Service in adjacent Sandy Springs. Home Depot founder Bernie Marcus donated more than 200 million dollars to build the new Georgia Aquarium. Delta Air Lines is also headquartered in Atlanta and is a major employer. Newell Rubbermaid is one of the most recent companies to relocate its headquarters to the metro area (Sandy Springs).
Among the bad things to hit Atlanta's economy is the closing of General Motor's Doraville Assembly plant in Doraville around 2008, and the Ford Motor Company's Atlanta Assembly plant in Hapeville in 2006. The combined job loss is estimated to be from 6,000 to 8,000. HThe city is a major cable television programming source; CNN Center, headquarters of the Cable News Network, is in Atlanta where the network was founded by Ted Turner, and The Weather Channel broadcasts from just outside of town. In addition to CNN, Time Warner's other networks from Atlanta include Cartoon Network/Adult Swim and companion channel Boomerang, TNT, Turner South, CNN International, CNN en Español, CNN Headline News, CNN Airport Network, and TBS. Atlanta's WTBS channel 17 (originally WTCG) was Turner's start in television in the 1970s; after he bought the struggling UHF TV station, he turned it into a "Superstation" broadcasting both locally and nationally on the emerging cable providers. Atlanta's WSB was the first AM radio station in the South.However, Kia is planning to build an assembly plant near West Point, Georgia.

Major International Companies based in Atlanta
AGCO Corporation (in Duluth)
BellSouth
Cbeyond
Cingular Wireless
CNN
Chick-fil-A
ChoicePoint (in Alpharetta)
Coca-Cola
Cox Communications
Delta Air Lines
Earthlink
Equifax
Georgia-Pacific
Home Depot (in Vinings)
Interface
Interland
Internet Security Systems (in Sandy Springs)
Mirant
Nintendo of America (distribution center)
Newell Rubbermaid
Novelis
Rayovac
Rollins/Orkin
Russell Corporation (Dual headquarters in Alexander City, Alabama and Vinings, Georgia)
Scientific-Atlanta (in Lawrenceville, Georgia)
Siemens
Southern Company
SunTrust Bank
Turner Broadcasting
UPS (in Sandy Springs)
Waffle House (in Norcross, Georgia)
The Weather Channel (in Vinings)
World Airways (in Peachtree City)(Where I LIVE!)

The only reason HOuston is in this competition is because of their oil industry in which it is really imporant for the country and the world as well...
My top 5 again...
1)Atlanta
2)Houston
3)Dallas
4)Miami
5)New Orleans or Charlotte

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
samsonyuen said:
I think it might be because the South as a region is just so expansive. It's not desnsely populated like the Northeast, it's population is more spread out than the West and the Midwest as well.
Actually, the Southern US is quite a bit denser than the Western US:

http://www.nemw.org/popdensity.htm

Out west, there are the large cities and once you get out of the city...NOTHING but rural country and a handfull of small towns. In the Southern US, we have both rural country and many small towns and cities:

·
Brett don't text me
135 Posts
I have to agree with a lot of people here that Houton is the most dominant city in the south then Atlanta and Dallas are about a tie for second

·
Registered
249 Posts
panamaboy9016 said:

1) Atlanta
2) Houston
3) Dallas
4) Miami

WTF??????????????????????? :down: :badnews:

1 - 20 of 143 Posts