SkyscraperCity banner

Should Countrylink ditch it's XPT rail services?

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another low for transport in NSW could occur and it could extend well beyond the borders of the state.

Countrylink continues to lose money and they are considering axing services and retiring it's fleet of trains. The cost of replacing the XPT's would amount to $800 million.

If they axe the rail services and replace it with coach services it could mean:

NO RAIL service between Sydney and Melbourne
NO RAIL service between Sydney and Brisbane
NO RAIL service between Sydney and Canberra

Effectively the east coast capitals wont have rail services between each other.

And Country NSW will be depreived of important rail services. They need these to provide links between Sydney and it's regional centres.

With airfares on the rise, they are able to compete better. I admit I intend on using Countrylink services to save some dough but also see some of this great land of ours.

·
̙͈̩ͫ̎Ż̌ͫ&
3,549 Posts
Meh, who actually uses the train between Melbourne and Sydney bar locals and concessionaries?

$800million is a stack of money that could be put to better use elsewhere.

(Though doesn't the Victorian State have an financial interest in one or two of the vehicles?)

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Ultimately I think it should not be left to NSW alone to operate these routes. I know that Victoria, ACT and Qld provide their share in propping it up-- it seems unfair that NSW infrastructure be left to deal with the burdon.

The Federal Government should operate Adelaide-Melbourne, Melbourne-Sydney, Sydney-Canberra and Sydney-Brisbane, (and perhaps a Melbourne-Canberra link?)
And yes, im going to be predictable and at least ask that it be a tad high speed...

If people saw improvements, and a reliable, fast, cheap service available, then you might find people actually taking rail.

Here's a little Deutsche Bahn action to get the juices flowing...

·
Crazy young doge man
2,697 Posts
As much as i would love to see a system like that Alphie, the cost would be prohibitive.

·
̙͈̩ͫ̎Ż̌ͫ&
3,549 Posts
Yeah, sorry to introduce reality, but it's a good 900Km to Sydney, with nothing of worth in between.

There's probably not even a point to point distance of that expanse on German soil.

The XPT should be truncated at Aldonga when Victorian standardisation of that corridor is complete.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yeah, sorry to introduce reality, but it's a good 900Km to Sydney, with nothing of worth in between.

The XPT should be truncated at Aldonga when Victorian standardisation of that corridor is complete.
I assume you mean Albury/Wodonga. I think V/Line is considering running rail services to Wagga Wagga on the S.G. after conversion. I wonder if Victoria might buy a used XPT set or two, either for carriages to be hauled by other locos, or as peak-use sets. Geelong by XPT, anyone?

·
Super Moderator
21,724 Posts
Yeah, I think your problem is that there is nothing in between Sydney and Melbourne. Maybe a route via Canberra would make it more worthwhile but 900km is already pushing the top end of the range where HSR is time-competitive vs air travel so any extra distance on the route would play into the hands of air competitors.

If you had a few decent sized regional centres in between, you might be able to justify a scheme on economic grounds by focussing on the improved links between those places and the big two economic centres even if there wasn't much traffic travelling the whole length of the route. HSR in Europe has been used like that to revitalise struggling regions and cities by linking them up to major centres but if it's just for Wagga Wagga and a few sheep, the investment required would be too much I think.

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Meh, who actually uses the train between Melbourne and Sydney bar locals and concessionaries?

$800million is a stack of money that could be put to better use elsewhere.

(Though doesn't the Victorian State have an financial interest in one or two of the vehicles?)
I've used it quite a few times: and taken my nearest and dearests on it as well: if you count the "Southern Aurora" before it, I've paid for fifteen trips, including a few sleepers: but then I guess I must be a bar local & concessionary.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I took a train from Canberra to Sydney once, it was so bad. Like being tortured (in comparison to experiences on the eurostar and spanish AVE)
Driving takes 1 and a half hours less.

·
Sexiest Creature
688 Posts
How fast does the "Xpress" Passenger Train even travel along the way anyway? Does it hit 160km/h much or is it too restricted now?

Maybe if the trains were allowed to 200-250km/h or some stock and upgrades which would allow it then they'd be able to turn a profit. The Federal goverment has surplus money which could be invested to provide a better system, so why don't they just do that. Rather than waste it on tax cuts which are absorbed by train fair increases or stupid alcohol taxes.

Also, when you think of it, there currently really isn't anything between like someone mentioned above, but isn't that why people invest in something? So it's there for the future, or to make it feasible for people to build something along the route?

[4 questions, lol]

·
Happy now...
676 Posts
Hes making it up, NSW gov has just spent millions refitting the XPTs with new carpet, new seat covers, new kitchens basically new interiors.

If they were going to dump the service why spend all the money. Nothing to see here move along.

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
How fast does the "Xpress" Passenger Train even travel along the way anyway? Does it hit 160km/h much or is it too restricted now?

Maybe if the trains were allowed to 200-250km/h or some stock and upgrades which would allow it then they'd be able to turn a profit. The Federal goverment has surplus money which could be invested to provide a better system, so why don't they just do that. Rather than waste it on tax cuts which are absorbed by train fair increases or stupid alcohol taxes.

Also, when you think of it, there currently really isn't anything between like someone mentioned above, but isn't that why people invest in something? So it's there for the future, or to make it feasible for people to build something along the route?

[4 questions, lol]
I think the Federal Government sees more pressing public transport needs than to upgrade the Sydney-Melbourne line to 200 km/hr+.

Just further to the quote above ... perhaps deanh can explain how alcohol taxes are taking money from the public purse ... I would have thought they were contributing to it.

And I don't really think making a Sydney Melbourne train run even 100 km/hr faster is suddenly going to lead to the development of the equivalent of Stuttgart or Frankfurt (to refer to the previous map) along this corridor: there's been substantial development particularly at Albury/Wodonga: but it's got bugger-all to do with how fast passenger trains reach Melbourne or Sydney.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hes making it up, NSW gov has just spent millions refitting the XPTs with new carpet, new seat covers, new kitchens basically new interiors.

If they were going to dump the service why spend all the money. Nothing to see here move along.
+1

·
Sexiest Creature
688 Posts
I think the Federal Government sees more pressing public transport needs than to upgrade the Sydney-Melbourne line to 200 km/hr+.

Just further to the quote above ... perhaps deanh can explain how alcohol taxes are taking money from the public purse ... I would have thought they were contributing to it.

And I don't really think making a Sydney Melbourne train run even 100 km/hr faster is suddenly going to lead to the development of the equivalent of Stuttgart or Frankfurt (to refer to the previous map) along this corridor: there's been substantial development particularly at Albury/Wodonga: but it's got bugger-all to do with how fast passenger trains reach Melbourne or Sydney.
I merely meant the alcohol tax on pre-mixed drinks taking money from people who actually drink those things. The tax they added with the hope to curve binge drinking. Lets just say they'd be taking more money from the private purse.

Not suddenly, but it may assist in doing so. Better connections between places in between may entice more business and or people to move to areas outside cities. *shrugs*... I'm sure some sort of better service would provide economic benefits to towns and cities along it's route.

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
I merely meant the alcohol tax on pre-mixed drinks taking money from people who actually drink those things. The tax they added with the hope to curve binge drinking. Lets just say they'd be taking more money from the private purse.
I'm not sure whether you're saying that making plonk cheaper would be better for regionsl and intercity rail (because they'd have more money to spend on it if you did?)

In my humble opinion, alcohol taxes have got bugger-all to do with public transport. unless you think they trying to "curve" binge-drinking to Wagga Wagga?

It's got nothing to do with Countrylink ... has it?

Not suddenly, but it may assist in doing so. Better connections between places in between may entice more business and or people to move to areas outside cities. *shrugs*... I'm sure some sort of better service would provide economic benefits to towns and cities along it's route.
Yes, improved passenger rail services may do exactly what you suggest above: a good case-study would be the Victorian Regional Fast Rail Project, which has certainly led to significant increases in patronage, and may well lead to regional city growth.

However, for some reason, on this forum, this is considered to be a stupid idea: and an incitement for people to go to regional centres when they should more sensibly be living in the suburban fringe.

To return to the topic:

Can anyone provide a link to a reliable wepage reporting the demise of Countrylink services to Melbourne or Brisbane? Sounds like the kiss of death for the NSW Government! (and as against alcopops, that is relevant).

And (can't remember where I read this): but wait for V/Line services out of Melbourne extending from Albury to Wagga Wagga once the line is standardized.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts