SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
San Antonio official says "There feelings are hurt," and "We're going to stop courting them for now." Here's hoping if the two start dating again, San Antonio officials will handle this situation with a little more "love and patience," and Texas could have its' third pro baseball team. Right now..the two have broken up and Miami, who has the legal tie, is back in the lead with this courtship.

San Antonio, Marlins end courtship for now
By Carlos Frías

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Marlins won't be moving to San Antonio, at least not any time soon.

Officials in Bexar County, Texas, had set a May 15 deadline for the Marlins to pledge a move west. But the team this week declined to meet the deadline, saying its preference was to work out a deal in South Florida, according to a San Antonio official.

"Major League Baseball wants them to exhaust all the possibilities in South Florida. That's what the Marlins indicated they want to do. That's their preference," Bexar County Commissioner Lyle Larson said Wednesday.

The Marlins made the decision despite a recent setback in their quest for money to build a South Florida stadium.

Friday night, with less than half an hour before the end of the 2006 legislative session, the Florida Senate passed a bill to give the Marlins $60 million in subsidies to help build a stadium. But as the clock struck midnight, the session ended before the House could vote on the bill.

Judge Nelson Wolff, who presides over the Bexar County Commission, spoke with Marlins President David Samson after the no-vote and Samson said they still were intent on working out a deal in South Florida, Larson said.

San Antonio, which has failed to land baseball and football teams in the past, again feels like it has been rejected, Larson said.

"We're going to stop courting them for now," Larson said. "As in a classic courtship, we're hurt and they're getting what they want."

Wolff wanted a written commitment from the Marlins by May 15, expressing their intention to move if voters in November approve $200 million in rental car and hotel taxes to help build a stadium.

Wolff did not return calls Wednesday and a Marlins spokesman said the team had no comment.

South Florida leaders hoping to work out a deal with the Marlins remain confident, despite the recent failure in Tallahassee.

Hialeah Mayor Julio Robaina, who approached the Marlins about building a stadium in his city on land east of Florida's Turnpike, said he was told there were sufficient votes in the House to pass the bill. That legislation would have offered up to $60 million in subsidies to the Marlins and Florida's eight other professional teams.

The Marlins remain at least $100 million short of the $420 million the team says it needs to build a retractable roof stadium, although recent cost estimates have the project reaching $500 million.

Robaina said they will eventually need that $60 million commitment from the state for the deal to happen.

"I think our doors are open for next year," Robaina said. "It's important to have that component. I wish we had it today. I'm sure we'll get it next year."

Bexar County's Larson said the courtship of the Marlins is "definitely over this year," but San Antonio will reconsider the Marlins' interest if a deal reaches an impasse in South Florida.

"I don't think that door is closed completely," Larson said.

http://capefish.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
211 Posts
Why are you posting this?

Do you have some vested interest in either? The Marlins? San Antonio?

Good one though. Posted out of "concern" or just "journalistic" reasons?

Nice article, if it were true.

Might have done you some good to investigate it a little before posting this article.

Because as of this afternoon per Judge Wolff, the county and Marlins are still talking.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Marjorie Fair said:
Why are you posting this?

Do you have some vested interest in either? The Marlins? San Antonio?

Good one though. Posted out of "concern" or just "journalistic" reasons?

Nice article, if it were true.

Might have done you some good to investigate it a little before posting this article.

Because as of this afternoon per Judge Wolff, the county and Marlins are still talking.
It's newsworthy of this forum. Alot of people were rooting for Texas, including myself. Alot of us have been following this, Marjorie Fair. In spite of how much you loathe New Orleans, it doesn't mean we loathe San Antonio back.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sean in New Orleans said:
It's newsworthy of this forum. Alot of people were rooting for Texas, including myself.
No you weren't.

You're on some Portland based websiteunder another name saying things like: "San Antonio Sucks."

Also, its not newsworthy, which is why I haven't posted anything about this subject in months.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sean in New Orleans said:
In spite of how much you loathe New Orleans, it doesn't mean we loathe San Antonio back.
I loathe New Orleans??? Really. I had no idea.

I think you're mistaking my dislike for you and making it out to be me vs. New Orleans. It's not kid.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Marjorie Fair said:
No you weren't.

You're on some Portland based websiteunder another name saying things like: "San Antonio Sucks."

Also, its not newsworthy, which is why I haven't posted anything about this subject in months.
Hey, Clark, are you talking to me? You got the wrong guy. I told you that on the Portland forum, and I am telling you again. It would be nice if you wouldn't go around the internet trying to troll Sean and pick fights.

At any rate, contact the admin here and have him compare IP addresses. That'll prove my point right away.

I am from New Orleans. I live and work on the west coast. Tomorrow, I will post a message from Seattle. Tonight it is from Portland, OR. Next week, it will be back in So.Cal. Ask your admin, and you will see. I don't think Sean is out here, so I don't know how he can post from a NOLA IP and a West Coast IP at the same time.

I was the one who said that your town sucks. I stick by it. I used to live in SA. Other than it's provincial nature, I liked it just fine until the whole Saints thing went down and you people showed your small-town mentality. I warned the peeps in Portland that you would take shots at them as well, as would your media. Well, you did take your shots at anyone you perceived to be adverse to your interests. And your media also took shots at Hialeah and Miami. Wow. How impressive is that?

I saw tonight where the guys in Portland have noticed that you have disappeared. Just like you guys did with the Saints. People like you are internet trolls. You go to sites, lob a grenade, and then leave after you don't get your way. Why don't you come to our site and do that? Let's see what happens to you. ;)

At any rate, I am not Sean. Heck, we don't even agree on several things as to what is happening in New Orleans with some things, but here we are. You want a fight? Bring it on. But I am not playing.

BTW, I am glad you guys are getting neither the NFL or MLB. I hope you get NOTHING. In fact, I hope the Spuds move. And I also hope that OKC gets nothing. Yeah, I am angry at the way some of you have conducted yourselves. Yes, I think you are pathetic.

:weirdo:

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's not me, Marjorie Fair. As my fellow poster and friend from www.hornetsreport.com says, as the admin to check IP's. I'm in New Orleans as I type this message.

·
Registered
211 Posts
What a strange coincidence that I mention the cat from the Portland site that was bashing San Antonio like the red headed stepchild and out of NOWHERE he registers a name here proclaiming not to be Sean.

How hold do you think we are Sean? Seriously.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nate871 said:
Is that West Coast Hornet from Hreport? If that's the case, then Sean and twosomeca are not at all the same person.
Yes...it is. It is West Coast Hornet and I am alon504 over there. Big deal. This is pretty silly. Now, that the thread has been successfully side-tracked, I think it's worthy to go ahead and return to the original conversation. Do any of you think that San Antonio may have another shot next Summer? I do, although, I think the chances are getting near zero. I think SA needs to straighten it's act up when it comes to pro teams. I know the situation is unique with Miami, and San Antonio offered an enticing plan, but, the deadline blew it, IMO. I really can't believe that San Antonio gave a team in another city a deadline to commit to relocate. You just can't do these things with such an important and sensitive matter.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
It had nothing to do with the deadline. MLB wants to be in South Florida because its a superior market and will remain so for years to come, compared to San Antonio. Like Portland, Charlotte and the others, the Marlins are only using these second tier cities in a vain attempt to get Florida to pony up more public money for a new stadium. Kudos to San Antonio's officials for realizing this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts