SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently there is an application to build a large apartment complex in the Friar's Road area of Coventry City centre - this will involve most of the street's existing Edwardian housing being demolished. The building will be five floors at its lowest point, and 14 at it highest.

There's also a plan to build "twin towers" of 14 storey apartments and retail near the "City Arcade" part of the precinct. Further round the city centre, there's belgrade Plaza which has a 16 storey tower as its highest point.

All these are modern designs with plenty of glass.

Bishop Street area of the city centre has been designated as a "High Rise" area.

·
Brummie Angeleno
15,211 Posts
There are a few roads in Coventry with period houses, that end at the Ring Road. It's a very strange situation. I'm undecided on this matter of demolition. I mean the council wouldn't dare demolish Spon St (Mediaevel) would they? Why can't they choose another location or try to integrate the designs?

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rigadon said:
what are the presnet edwardian buildings like? Worth keeping?

Sounds like good news generally
I haven't been down that street for some time, but from what I recall they're pretty unremarkable redbrick terraced houses & I think some large semis. Nothing listed.

Most of the houses are being used as bedsits & a few are run down & boarded up. At the end of the street is a bridge over the ringroad to the station. I think eleven houses will go. I did have a friend who lived in one, once.

It's next to an existing apartment block, and overlooking the ringroad.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
morestoreysplease said:
There are a few roads in Coventry with period houses, that end at the Ring Road. It's a very strange situation. I'm undecided on this matter of demolition. I mean the council wouldn't dare demolish Spon St (Mediaevel) would they? Why can't they choose another location or try to integrate the designs?
Believe me, Coventry has hundreds and hundreds of streets of inconsequential Edwardian houses that were built around the factories. Most of them are poorly built. I know. I lived in one for four years!

A couple of the "Lower" streets that have been chopped off by the ringroad have some interesting stuff on them - Lower Holyhead road has some Victorian Houses (They may actually be Edwardian) & some lovely old 17th century weaver's cottages. The road next to it has a row of 16th century cottages and some Edwardian stuff. Then BLAM. The monolithic ringroad cuts it all off (One of the streets may also be having a large apartment block on it - a local business wants to demolish his business and build a large block - which will have a "tower" feature overlooking the ringroad. I'm seeing a theme here.)

Spon Street - not a great success. Again, a road that goes nowhere - to a dirty subway that goes to a council estate (Which itself has some medieval buildings stuck in the middle of it.) Most of Spon Street consists of buildings that were demolished after the war, but put into storage and reconstructed (This is valid - medieval homeowners _did_ move their houses, as they were timber framed). Now it's got a few nice restaurants, but has been ruined by - hard to believe this - kebab houses and Fish & Chip shops. Let me be blunt. These places attract riff-raff and drunks & have driven a few people away from the area (Including at least one restaurant).

The Medieval Church at the base of Spon Street adds to the area, as does the medieval almshouse, but it's all dominated by the bottom of the Lower Precinct - Four Storeys of GREY WALL. Pure, square, Grey Wall slap bang next to an incredible sandstone church with an unique crossing tower. To make it even more annoying, they recently renovated the lower precinct and made the wall even more greyer and even more drab.

The other "famous" street is Starley Road - two solid rows of Edwardian Houses that were scheduled to be demolished. The residents fought against it, and ended up buying the houses and turning it into a housing assocation.

Shame about the ringroad - some of the roads would have continued outwards with some interesting continuity of frontages and lead to the "villages" (Hillfields, Earsldon, Chapelfields) built outside the medieval common land area during the 17th, 18th & 19th centuries. These areas all had distinctive architecture due to their roles as Weaving communities or watchmaking areas. Most of it has long gone - replaced by concrete boxes that are mainly being demolished these days. After being cut off by the ringroad, a lot of these areas died.

Pevsner wrote that some of this stuff was a reminder of Coventry's origins as a small, rural town that grew quickly - having small houses like that close to the centre of the city is quite rare. There used to be a lot more of them after the war, but they have mostly been demolished.

Sorry, I'm rambling - just waiting for Newsnight to start!

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Whoopeee..... yet more Mid Rise Spectaculars! I can hardly contain my excitement. After all, we're seeing plenty enough of these happening right now in Birmingham (instead of the usual 30-40+ storey projects that have been mooted), so what is there to get so pantee-wettingly ecstatic about?
Granted, Coventry still has a bit of its mediaeval history to cling on to in parts of its city centre, but the truth is everything that's modern about the place is just godawful..... So tall buildings are probably out of the question.

West Midlands = Mid Rise Capital of Europe. It's official.

[Spoken from a cynic who has seen the future and it sure as hell ain't Arena Central circa 1998 that's for certain.]

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Martin G said:
Whoopeee..... yet more Mid Rise Spectaculars! I can hardly contain my excitement. After all, we're seeing plenty enough of these happening right now in Birmingham (instead of the usual 30-40+ storey projects that have been mooted), so what is there to get so pantee-wettingly ecstatic about?
Granted, Coventry still has a bit of its mediaeval history to cling on to in parts of its city centre, but the truth is everything that's modern about the place is just godawful..... So tall buildings are probably out of the question.

West Midlands = Mid Rise Capital of Europe. It's official.

[Spoken from a cynic who has seen the future and it sure as hell ain't Arena Central circa 1998 that's for certain.]
Who's getting ecstatic? After years of no investment in Coventry, there's heaps of investment coming in and some interesting new projects - so they're not all "High Rise", but who cares? I don't see the general public clamouring for tall buildings, and in some cities - Bristol, for instance - they have been ruled out.

As for your comment about "modern" - depends what you mean by modern. If you mean 20th century, then the new Cathedral is widely considered to be one of the most important buildings in the UK of that era, and Broadgate House, the Belgrade Theatre and the station are listed. Oh, so is the Swimming Pool. They may not be to your taste, but some people like them.

If you mean more recent, then there's the Stirling award nominated "Phoenix Initiative", finished last year.

The towers you mention probably never happened because there's no demand for the space.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
morestoreysplease said:
I've got my bearings now MartinN! Isn't there a blue tower at the end of the st too?
Yeah, I think so - Friar's House. Next to the new Tax offices.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Martin,

What exactly is happening around the City Arcade area of the city ? It's always been a bit dingy and desolate around there, and what they did with the old C&A area was abysmal (looks like some kind of hi-tech fortress). I remember when they built the Argos superstore on the corner, yet another abomination on the city. Moreover, what's happening with the former BT tower (190 ft) near City College ? Answers on a postcard, my old son....

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi,

Well, the arcade itself is still pretty grotty - but the car park opposite has a new apartment block going up, and the car park next to it (At the back of Argos) has an apartment complex going up. Downwards there are two (Whispers)14 storey(Whisper off) towers going up with retail and apartments.

Frankly, they keep "tarting up" bits of the City Arcade & Sheldon square, but it still looks rubbish.

Good news about Ricoh sponsoring the Arena AND opening up an office in the city, apparently to spearhead their UK expansion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1st hand info

i happen to live in starley road and i can tell you that the building in the car park opposite argos is a £5.2 million project in a bid to make starley road bigger and to create more houses and flats nearer the town centre to rent. I would also like to add the fact that starley road is only standing today because of my parents, my friends parents,and thier childhood friends.

P.S there is no point in submiting a reply to my post because i will probably never visit this site again, i jus found it while browsing the net and wanted to have my say. bye :runaway:

·
Registered
12,658 Posts
Did anyone see the plans for a fourth glass spire in the middle of Coventry?
A bit like Renzo Piano's glass shard, cov-style.

·
Registered
609 Posts
would be a good boost for the city if they win the 25million for this lottery grant.

I came across this website a while ago http://www.coventryinspires.com/ideas/
showcasing ideas that would improve the city. Some really good ideas on it. Idea no. 1 is having a forth spire. - which is the idea put forward for this lottery grant.

Should go well with the vast expansion of the city centre regarding the swanswell initiative - they say its the biggest expansion of the city centre since the redevelopment after the war and will break free from the collar of the ring road.

I came across this site http://www.covcollege.ac.uk/swanswell/
showing the plans in detail. Looks very good. I hope it goes ahead.

P.s the flats in hillfields are being demolished - looks like this will go ahead.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
di Livio said:
Did anyone see the plans for a fourth glass spire in the middle of Coventry?
A bit like Renzo Piano's glass shard, cov-style.
Did you _read_ the article? It clearly stated that NO design had been done yet, and the picture shown was a "Evening Telegraph Artists Impression". The original idea for the tower is quite old, and was rumoured to feature a huge Lady Godiva on it... I kid you not.

It's all a bit crap - a centre for "reconcilliation" - oh yes, what's that's going to do, then? It'll never happen. Even though there seems to be the ambition to build up, I suspect the hightest we'll get are 20 storeys. Most of the current planned "talls" are 14-20 storeys. Not that I'm complaining.

Coventry needs to re-invent itself [At the moment it looks likely that the city will become a centre for the medical industries] but pointless centres for pointless, religious based causes are hollow - if they want to build a tower make it at least relevant - 1000 years of history, mentions in the Anglo Saxon chronicle, and the best they an come up with is something that just won't mean much to anyone...

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
inspired said:
would be a good boost for the city if they win the 25million for this lottery grant.

I came across this website a while ago http://www.coventryinspires.com/ideas/
showcasing ideas that would improve the city. Some really good ideas on it. Idea no. 1 is having a forth spire. - which is the idea put forward for this lottery grant.

Should go well with the vast expansion of the city centre regarding the swanswell initiative - they say its the biggest expansion of the city centre since the redevelopment after the war and will break free from the collar of the ring road.

I came across this site http://www.covcollege.ac.uk/swanswell/
showing the plans in detail. Looks very good. I hope it goes ahead.

P.s the flats in hillfields are being demolished - looks like this will go ahead.
Last I heard the new Tory council wanted to do the Swanswell project but KEEP the ugly flyover. Which is a shame, as the plan looks marvellous with the long boulevard and blocks of buildings.

The flats are being demolished to make way for the new college. The swanswell project is much larger, but has been defined with 3 options, and the 1st option is the "do least" option that involves pretty much keeping all the manky ringroad and roundabouts.

·
telling the world how
2,268 Posts
MartinN

Can you help me again? Opposite Argos (City arcade) there used to be a small car-park. It's now being built upon, looks like more apartments? Do you have any info or pics? I don't remember reading anything in the Cov Evening Telegraph.

*EDIT* Bugger! I've just read the posts above. Ignore me Martin :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts